Slag glass

Old October 14th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Default Slag glass

I was reading through one of my new stained glass books and it
mentions that an old church window in a picture and says it's made of
slag glass. What's that?

Thanks, Michael

Old October 14th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Vic

Slag is the residue at the bottom of the glass furnace. Also antique
dealers refer to opal glass as slag, IE slag glass lamps.

Vic

Old October 15th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

you can find chunks of slag along the road in NC at gem and mineral shops,
it's the left overs from batches. m
ups.com...

Old October 16th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Michele wrote:

you can find chunks of slag along the road in NC at gem and mineral
shops, it's the left overs from batches.

**************
Thank you, Michele and Vic. I think that in the context it was the
antique dealers equating opal with slag. This was a beautiful church
window they were referring to. It didn't look like it was made out of
chunks from the bottom of the furnace.

Speaking of other than the normal sheet of glass, when I toured Kokomo
they showed some colorful and odd-shaped and thickness pieces that I
think they called "head" glass. They were around 30 inches wide and
irregular curved lengths. Very pretty but they looked like they would
be a bear to cut. I think they mentioned "tail" glass, too, which he
said they throw away.

miker

Old October 17th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On 15 Oct 2007 21:09:46 -0700, Michael wrote:
Speaking of other than the normal sheet of glass, when I toured Kokomo
they showed some colorful and odd-shaped and thickness pieces that I
think they called "head" glass. They were around 30 inches wide and
irregular curved lengths. Very pretty but they looked like they would
be a bear to cut. I think they mentioned "tail" glass, too, which he
said they throw away.

There's a rack of "heads & tails" for sale to the left as you enter the
glass area of the shop, at the left end of the first table of scrap glass.
I picked up a particularly nice one a year or two ago when I was there and
used it to make some pretty fused and sandblasted coasters. I don't recall
it being too difficult to cut, though of course you do have to be careful
to cut on the flatter side.

In case it's not obvious from the name, the heads and tails are the bits
at the beginning and end of the sheet where the roller squeezes out any
excess glass.

Old October 17th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Michael" wrote in message Speaking of other than the
normal sheet of glass, when I toured Kokomo
they showed some colorful and odd-shaped and thickness pieces that I
think they called "head" glass. They were around 30 inches wide and
irregular curved lengths. Very pretty but they looked like they would
be a bear to cut. I think they mentioned "tail" glass, too, which he
said they throw away.

miker

Did you see the same thing at Armstrong when you were there? They have (or
had) bins and bins full of them.

Old October 17th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

" Moonraker" wrote in message
news

"Michael" wrote in message Speaking of other than the
normal sheet of glass, when I toured Kokomo
they showed some colorful and odd-shaped and thickness pieces that I
think they called "head" glass. They were around 30 inches wide and
irregular curved lengths. Very pretty but they looked like they would
be a bear to cut. I think they mentioned "tail" glass, too, which he
said they throw away.

miker

Did you see the same thing at Armstrong when you were there? They have

(or
had) bins and bins full of them.

As a general term with all manufacturers. the obvious and biggest difference
is in HOW the glass is mixed in that particular area of the sheet. The tail
is very homogenous and even in its color mix, conversely the head is richer
in color and much more color separation. Nice stuff for building lamps with,
in my opinion, and Youghiogheny is really nice for that.

Old October 18th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was reading through one of my new stained glass books and it
mentions that an old church window in a picture and says it's made of
slag glass. What's that?

Thanks, Michael

Depending on the age of the dealer, they all have their own language.
Milk glass.... slag glass.... bottle glass..... bubble glass. Plenty still
call colorless glass "white".

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com