Review: Janome 6500

Old May 19th 04, 05:52 PM
Phaedrine

Default Review: Janome 6500

Thanks to a number of recommendations I found here, I recently tried out
and later purchased the Janome 6500 "quilter" machine. This is in
addition to a Bernina 931, a Bernina serger, a Babylock serger and a
White that I never use any more.

The machine operates wonderfully and smoothly and I cannot say enough
good things about it. It is very sturdy (heavy!)--- heavier than my
Bernina 931 in fact. The longer arm and roomier bed is indeed nice for
quilting though I have not tried it yet for other things. It has a wide
range of adjustable decorative stitches which I lacked on my Bernina.
Initially, I had thought of getting a new Bernina but I could not find
enough differences between the new and the old one to justify the cost.

The Janome has a wonderful memory capacity and the ability to combine
and memorize various stitches. You are all probably used to having that
but this is my first machine with a chip in it. It is very nice and I
hope that the "electronics" are stable. It has an auto-threader that I
am thinking of disengaging, mainly because, unless my eyes get a lot
worse, it is a lot faster manually. You can lift the presser foot with
a knee bar, just like on the Bernina. The auto thread cutters are
fabulous... I just love this feature! It is also nice to be able to
wind bobbins without unthreading the machine--- though machine threading
is very easy, just like on the Bernina.

It also sews very fast and has a variable speed adjustment which is very
handy for free-motion machine quilting. It also holds large 3000-5000
yard spools of thread without a separate thingy. And, it sews a 7 mm
wide stitch which is just great! And you can set it to stop needle down
or up. Needle down is wonderful when stitching a lot of curves. (On
the Bernina, I have to keep hitting the foot pedal with my heel) I paid
$1100 for it (it had been used in a class for 3 days) and that is far
less than a new Bernina--- the cost of which I just could not justify
since that my 931 still works perfectly. So we'll see how well it holds
up. Like any machine, I recommend giving it a test drive and paying
specific attention to all the things you really need in a machine. Like
cars, one size does not fit all.

Phae

..
Old May 19th 04, 06:15 PM
M. MacDonald

Nice review of a nice machine. I made the switch from the Pfaff brand when
I had too many problems with one of their latest electronic models and my
dealer suggested I switch(!?!). He moved me to the Janome and I haven't had
one problem and it cost much less than the Pfaff and does far more.
Accessories are reasonably priced too. Love that it holds more bobbin
thread than the Pfaff too and doesn't do the bird's nest that the Pfaff
seemed to be prone to on starting a stitch. I wish it had a free arm
though - only downside, but the thread cutter makes up for it and it seems
to have great penetrating power for thicker fabrics.

Enjoy and use the heck outta it!

Mack

Old May 19th 04, 08:35 PM
Patti

I was so pleased to see this post today, as tomorrow I hope to be
getting one, too! I tried one at Malvern last week and it did the very
slow start (if required) that is vital for me. People ask why? Well,
when you make miniatures, quite often the seams are only half an inch
long! Without a slow start you've whizzed off the end of the seam
without being aware of it!! However, I really wanted it for the larger
space under the arm. Otherwise I don't think I would have changed
machines. But doing my last largish quilt nearly drove me to
distraction.
I will be trading in my current Viking, and will also be selling my
Featherweight! So I am reducing my numbers instead of increasing. I
found I didn't want/need to use more than one after all. I'm sure there
will be many features I won't use - I'm such an old stick in the mud!
I will be interested to use the knee lift (which, thanks to Sandy Foster
I know lifts the presser foot!! - for ages I'd see this mentioned on the
NG and didn't have the 'nerve' to ask what it was lifting, as everyone
else seemed to know. Then one day Sandy mentioned the details in a
post. Light dawned g)
..
In article
,
Phaedrine writes

Thanks to a number of recommendations I found here, I recently tried out
and later purchased the Janome 6500 "quilter" machine. This is in
addition to a Bernina 931, a Bernina serger, a Babylock serger and a
White that I never use any more.

The machine operates wonderfully and smoothly and I cannot say enough
good things about it. It is very sturdy (heavy!)--- heavier than my
Bernina 931 in fact. The longer arm and roomier bed is indeed nice for
quilting though I have not tried it yet for other things. It has a wide
range of adjustable decorative stitches which I lacked on my Bernina.
Initially, I had thought of getting a new Bernina but I could not find
enough differences between the new and the old one to justify the cost.

snipped

.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 19th 04, 10:24 PM
Phaedrine

Well I am glad my timing was good for once. I also required a slow,
steady start. Be sure to put the pedal on a hard, flat surface.
Initially, I had mine on a plush carpet but that did not work with this
particular pedal because it does not have a flat bottom. So the bar on
the bottom of the pedal would start sinking into the rug before it
triggered the startup mechanism and then i would get a jerky start. A
thick piece of cardboard solved that.

Another thing I forgot to mention about this machine is its precision.
After using a Bernina for so many years, it was not easy finding a
machine with as much precision, though sewing machines have improved
greatly over the last 20 or so years. The Janome is very precise and
you can increase/decrease stitch lengths and widths in very small
increments. Have fun with your new machine; I know you will enjoy it.

Old May 19th 04, 10:29 PM
Phaedrine

In article ,
"M. MacDonald" wrote:

Nice review of a nice machine. I made the switch from the Pfaff brand when
I had too many problems with one of their latest electronic models and my
dealer suggested I switch(!?!). He moved me to the Janome and I haven't had
one problem and it cost much less than the Pfaff and does far more.
Accessories are reasonably priced too. Love that it holds more bobbin
thread than the Pfaff too and doesn't do the bird's nest that the Pfaff
seemed to be prone to on starting a stitch. I wish it had a free arm
though - only downside, but the thread cutter makes up for it and it seems
to have great penetrating power for thicker fabrics.

Enjoy and use the heck outta it!

Mack

Thanks! I am glad I still have the free-arm on my other machine. This
particular Janome was made to have a large bed instead of a free-arm.
Happy sewing.
Old May 20th 04, 01:12 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Patti wrote:

I will be interested to use the knee lift (which, thanks to Sandy Foster
I know lifts the presser foot!! - for ages I'd see this mentioned on the
NG and didn't have the 'nerve' to ask what it was lifting, as everyone
else seemed to know. Then one day Sandy mentioned the details in a
post. Light dawned g)

Awwww, shucks, Pat! But I do love that knee lift -- I use it with my
right knee and operate the speed with my left. Works like a charm for
me.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old May 20th 04, 08:09 AM
Patti

Thanks very much for this tip, Phae. I would have been *so*
disappointed, because we have a fairly long pile carpet.
..
In article
,
Phaedrine writes

Old May 20th 04, 02:31 PM
Susan Laity Price

I am not familiar with the model you purchased but I have owned a
Janome 9000 for several years and am very happy with it. I had
previously owned three Vikings. The last two had been computerized
models. I wore out both of them. I realize that I sew alot but for the
price I thought they should have lasted longer. I was especially
disappointed that if I wanted to do embroidery after quilting for
several days I would have to have the machine adjusted to achieve nice
embroidery stitches. I only have my Janome cleaned and adjusted once a
year and it is fine to switch from heavy quilting to fine embroidery.
The price is much more reasonable. If anyone is looking for a new
machine I would suggest they look at the Janome.

The only drawback is that in our area the Janome machines are sold
through vaccumm cleaner sales stores. They can only give you the
standard sales pitch and demonstration for the machine. I would love
to take a class sometime from a real quilter who works on a Janome. I
am sure there are tricks that the local dealer doesn't know. The 9000
has a way to sew diamond shapes (i.e. tumbling block pattern) where
the needle starts and stops 1/4" fromt the end. I had to show the
local sales person why you would want to use the feature.

Susan

On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:52:07 -0500, Phaedrine
wrote:

[...]

Speed control box for Janome 6500 Pro Goobaa Quilting 0 March 21st 04 01:20 AM
Janome 6500 and 300e Sami Quilting 7 February 21st 04 03:17 AM
SewingTrader - Janome (Cards, stand, videos etc) Auctions ending Sunday 24th SewingTrader Marketplace 0 August 24th 03 02:58 PM
Auctions Ending Sunday July26 - Tuesday... SewingTrader Machine Knit 0 July 25th 03 05:06 PM
SewingTrader Current Ebay Offerings DS Marketplace 0 July 24th 03 10:55 PM