Kokomo Glass factory

Old September 30th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Default Kokomo Glass factory

A long two hour drive from Bloomington up to Kokomo and I got to see
the place for the first time. It's a dump. Exposed ceiling joists
and writing and carving on the walls and broken glass on the floor and
scrap pieces in beat-up metal cans. And long corridors with hundreds
of 8 foot tall upright bins filled with over 300,000 feet of beautiful
glass.

When I walked in the door I lucked into an unscheduled tour. I really
didn't think I would be that interested. I'm more focused on the end
product than the process. But it was spectacular walking down all
those halls of glass. Back by the glass furnace you could look at
scenes that almost could have been pulled right out of 1888. Gazing
into the openings was hynotic. You would see a pure orange color with
no shadow, no shading, and no hint of movement. Just pure bright
orange. Got to see them scoop it up and pour it out and flip and fold
it and then start it running through a roller that flattened it and
took it on the long cooling ride. It doesn't look like their
technology has changed much over the last hundred years.

I bought some glass and talked to the tour guide and headed home.
Great trip.

Michael

Old September 30th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 5:23 pm, Michael wrote:
[...]

If you ever get an opportunity to tour Spectrum, you'll see something
radically different. Three furnaces running constantly pouring out
glass 24/7 through rollers into 300 ft tunnel kilns.

Old September 30th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
A long two hour drive from Bloomington up to Kokomo and I got to see
the place for the first time. It's a dump. Exposed ceiling joists
and writing and carving on the walls and broken glass on the floor and
scrap pieces in beat-up metal cans. And long corridors with hundreds
of 8 foot tall upright bins filled with over 300,000 feet of beautiful
glass.

When I started out I bought out the totally glass filled garage of a
stuck up glass competitor that was going out of business. Shards of glass
were everywhere. I scratched my head and said, man what a mess. He
said..... "I don't have to be neat.... I'm an artist". That line always
stuck with me.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old September 30th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

wrote:

[...]

Tunnel kilns? Are you referring to a lehr? Maybe just dumbing it down
for those who look in awe upon your glass knowledge?

Jack
Old October 1st 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:50:26 -0600, nJb wrote:

Tunnel kilns? Are you referring to a lehr? Maybe just dumbing it down
for those who look in awe upon your glass knowledge?

And, of course, Kokomo also uses a lehr to cool the glass, a fact that
Michael probably omitted because it's just bleedin' obvious that you can't
cool it in open room-temperature air. Kokomo's glass just happens to be
made by hand before that point. I suppose that makes them artisans. Or is
that Artisans?

Old October 1st 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Ron Parker wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:50:26 -0600, nJb wrote:

Tunnel kilns? Are you referring to a lehr? Maybe just dumbing it down
for those who look in awe upon your glass knowledge?

And, of course, Kokomo also uses a lehr to cool the glass, a fact that
Michael probably omitted because it's just bleedin' obvious that you can't
cool it in open room-temperature air. Kokomo's glass just happens to be
made by hand before that point. I suppose that makes them artisans. Or is
that Artisans?

Yes, Kokomo installed a lehr after going on the Spectrum tour.
Production increased 800%.

Jack
Old October 1st 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Ron Parker wrote:

Kokomo's glass just happens to be made by hand before that point. I
suppose that makes them artisans. Or is that Artisans?

*******************
When the first guy scoops it out of the oven, he walks over to where
he pours it with a constant jerking motion, flipping the glass a
little into the air. I don't know if that is to keep it from adhering
to the scoop or if it somehow begins the swirling of the colors. The
second guy smashes it out a little and then folds it into itself. He
then presses down edges as it rolls into the machine.

Kokomo had "artisan" written all over it. With all the nauseating
quality management programs I've had to put up with over the years, it
was a breath of fresh air.

Michael

Old October 2nd 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
racing John

Glad you went and told us about it, I live down in Louisville, and been
thinking of going up to Kokomo to see the factory and now I want to go
also and get some glass, thanks Michael plus the got a great dirt track
up there also

Old October 2nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Javahut[_4_]

"racing John" wrote in message
Glad you went and told us about it, I live down in Louisville, and been
thinking of going up to Kokomo to see the factory and now I want to go
also and get some glass, thanks Michael plus the got a great dirt track
up there also

You will not be disappointed, you will also see glass that you only thought
about existing. Such a variety, and if you have only ever bought thru a
distributor, then you will be pleasantly surprised. Look for the unusual,
the odd and rich colors.

Not Quite OT - Ancient Egyptian Glass Factory Kandice Seeber Beads 0 June 21st 05 03:25 AM
Anyone here a volume user/seller of Kokomo glass? Javahut Glass 2 April 20th 05 04:13 PM
FACTORY mermaidscove_com Beads 0 April 19th 05 01:08 AM
COE of Kokomo Glass? Janet R Glass 4 January 7th 05 10:34 PM
Williamsburg Pottery Factory bonnieb Pottery 1 November 2nd 04 02:20 PM