Protect your favorites

Old June 25th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Protect your favorites

What if your computer jumped off the table and committed suicide? Crashed,
Smashed or went goofy? It could happen. You know that.
Do you have your list of favorites backed-up?
When mine became sort of strange, my first panic was my list of online
quilt shops I love as well as places for free online quilt designs, best
place for batting and thread .... well, you know.
I have no idea what I'm talking about but my sweet neighbor came
through, saw my panic, put something smaller than a fat postage stamp in my
computer and copied my favorites and address book. I don't know if it was a
Blue Tooth (which sounds painful to me) or an iiPR373-ml832. Don't care.
If you're skilled enough, back up your favorites on disc or something.
If you're not, get help. If no help is available, there's always pencil and
paper. Do what you've got to do. If you lose your favorites, your face
won't freeze and you won't poke you eye out but it sure would be an
unnecessary misery. Polly

Old June 25th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Good advice, Polly. It's easy as can be to keep your favorites list on
a thumb drive. For less than $20 you can get a little thumb drive that
has more storage space than my state-of-the-art computer did 10 years
ago. LOL And believe me, that computer cost a good bit more than $20.

Polly is wise. Do as she says and ..... um, be happy. On the same
vein, most cell companies now will store your contacts list so that
you don't suddenly become an orphan, cut off from the universe, if you
lose your cell phone. It's worth the few dollars it costs to get this
service.

Sunny
Old June 25th 09, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Polly Esther wrote:
What if your computer jumped off the table and committed suicide? Crashed,
Smashed or went goofy? It could happen. You know that.
Do you have your list of favorites backed-up?

I use Xmarks (was Foxmarks) which backs them all up online - this also
means when I am at my parents house using their computer I can sign into
Xmarks and have my usual bookmarks/favourites all there ready to use.
Their website says it works for the Firefox, Internet Exploder (sorry
Explorer) and Safari web-browsers. Personally I use it with Firefox and
it works seamlessly for me.

http://www.xmarks.com/

NAYY, YMMV.....

Lizzy
Old June 25th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thumb drive? Yes. That's what she used and it was indeed less than $20.
Polly

"onetexsun" wrote Good advice, Polly. It's easy as can be to keep your

Old June 25th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Now there's a scene that makes me smile. Lizzy writes that she uses their
computer when she's at her parents' house. Mercy.
If my little mama had had computer access, she just might have taken
over the entire world.
The Sheriff and the entire president's cabinet would have been calling
me all the time to do something about my mama.
What a thought. Polly

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote

Old June 25th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

Unfortunately, I am totally computer illiterate. I have a thumb drive and
absolutely no idea how to copy my favorites to it. When I go "organize
favorites" it gives me the choice of moving, renaming, making a new file
(which was empty when I tried it), or deleting. Like I said, totally
illiterate.

Old June 25th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Someone kind soul here will come to your rescue, Phyllis. I only know which
funny little slot is the right one to pound the thumb drive into. Polly
"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote Unfortunately, I am totally computer illiterate.

Old June 25th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Polly Esther wrote:
Now there's a scene that makes me smile. Lizzy writes that she uses their
computer when she's at her parents' house. Mercy.
If my little mama had had computer access, she just might have taken
over the entire world.
The Sheriff and the entire president's cabinet would have been calling
me all the time to do something about my mama.

They've not taken over the world yet, but now my dad is so much less
mobile, following his stroke, email & the internet help him to keep in
touch with us all little and often.

Lizzy
Old June 25th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Funny you should mention this, Polly. At Best Buy last night I bought a 520
GB External disk drive. It's about the size of my iPod. I'm going to put
all my pictures and music on it to free up my computer hard drive space.
Maybe it will run faster.

It says it holds 120,000 songs. That should do it.

520 GB. I remember how excited I was with 320 KB of space.

Cindy

Old June 26th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

I'm thrilled about thumb and other solid-state drives. DH and I use
Mozy online backup, but I'm going to get a couple of thumb drives,
too. I'm a little paranoid about hard drives ever since I had an
external drive go bad after about 3 months. And all it did was sit on
the desk. Really frustrating, it would have cost a fortune to retrieve
the data, but I didn't trust just exchanging it for a new one. First
of all, there was financial info on there, and second, what's to say
it wouldn't happen again? Now that they're so inexpensive, it might
provide a little peace of mind to have two.

(Maybe it's me. I've had CD backups go bad, too.)

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b