Beginning machine for newbie: Sewing Genie ($40)??

Old August 6th 05, 10:13 PM
M. FERRANTE

Default Beginning machine for newbie: Sewing Genie ($40)??

I am a male who needs to make hems and things to my pants. I know
nothing about machine sewing, always having done everything by hand. A
friend gave me a cheap Sewing Genie
(http://www.alltvstuff.com/sew1.html ) and I was wondering if this
thing is any good?

I cannot afford much money so if someone could recommend a good
"beginners" sewing machine, say under $100, I would appreciate it.
Also, are there any websites that show beginners how to saw, use
drop-in bobbers, things like that?

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante
Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Old August 6th 05, 11:19 PM
Candide

"M. FERRANTE" wrote in message
I am a male who needs to make hems and things to my pants. I know
nothing about machine sewing, always having done everything by hand. A
friend gave me a cheap Sewing Genie
(http://www.alltvstuff.com/sew1.html ) and I was wondering if this
thing is any good?

I cannot afford much money so if someone could recommend a good
"beginners" sewing machine, say under $100, I would appreciate it.
Also, are there any websites that show beginners how to saw, use
drop-in bobbers, things like that?

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante
Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Personally would suggest you shop around thrifts, garage sales,
Craigslist, eBay,sewing stores or even ask friends/relatives to check
their attics or basements for a used vintage portable sewing machine.
Something from around the 1960's to even early 1980's. Kenmore, J.C.
Penny, Montgomery Wards, among others all sold rebranded Japanese made
machines that were of decent to great quality. Any of the small portable
machines would suit your needs perfectly, and will have features though
you might not think you need/want now, will probably come in handy as
you "grow" in your sewing skills. These machines were built for the
duration and most feature all metal parts both inside and out (instead
of cheap plastic), and even better are mechanical or minimally
electronically. Machines such as these will work for ages given proper
care, and almost certainly out last the cheap stuff being sold today.

Except for a few highly sought after machines like the Pfaff 1200 series
and vintage Singer Featherweights, you should be able to pick up a good
vintage sewing machine for not very much money. Of all my suggested
outlets, I'd try sewing repair/sewing machine stores first as they
usually have a good selection of traded in models to choose from . These
units will have usually been tested, serviced and come with a warranty,
something you do not always get with yard sale or fleaBay items. Also
many sewing stores will offer a free lesson or two for units they've
sold, which will help you get acquainted with your new baby.

Should you decide to go the eBay or any other route, make sure the unit
has been TESTED and that the seller offers some sort of guarantee.
Unless they are giving it away for a few dollars (and even then), it
will do you no good to have a machine that requires a major investment
to work properly.

Best of luck,

Candide

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's
cheaper."
Quentin Crisp 1908 - 1999

RCTQ FAQ July 2005 frood Quilting 7 July 8th 05 01:09 PM
Compact sewing machine suggestion Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply Quilting 96 February 8th 05 02:47 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 2 January 24th 05 07:57 PM
Yet Another Sewing Machine Question Eli Quilting 16 February 29th 04 03:01 AM
FAQs for Newbies and Longtimers Diana Curtis Quilting 21 December 8th 03 01:52 PM