Pressing/Irons/steam/nosteam

Old October 11th 03, 05:15 AM
Dustbunny

Default Pressing/Irons/steam/nosteam

When Pressing,
What is better, Steam or No Steam..
and what is a good Iron that will hold up to long hours of being on when
quilting..
My 17 year old Iron broke due to high temps/long hours (melted the base from
the metal)

I bought a 7.00 iron today, same brand but it is not very good. 40.00 to me
is a LOT to pay for a Iron.

Old October 11th 03, 08:31 AM
Patti

Hullo C/D
This is another one of 'those' questions!!
Sure to get different replies from everyone.
Here is what I do: while I am working on something, I use my small iron
in the sewing room with NO steam. When I have finished a piece/block or
whatever, I go to the steam iron and use steam, but very carefully - no
movement sideways. I often then finish off with a dry iron to remove
any 'dimples' the steam might have created.
I use the steam mainly because it flattens the seams more than dry.
..
In article m,
Dustbunny writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 11th 03, 12:38 PM
AliceW

I generally use steam. I actually have to bring an iron to some of my
classes because they use only dry irons. I will use a dry iron when I am
dealing with a lot of bias. But I prefer steam.

As far as brands go, I have a Black and Decker that I love. It was less
than $30. I also prefer irons that do not have an auto-off feature. When
my step-daughter would stay with us every other weekend and we sewed
together, it was her job to move the iron when it beeped (the warning signal
that the iron was about to shut off). But, she is in college now, and I
have not been able to get any of my QIs to learn how to move the iron! So,
I now have another iron that I use just for quilting (like I iron anything
else VBG), that does not shut off automatically. I put a sticky note on
my sewing machine to remind me to turn it off since I my big board is set up
in another room so it's easy to forget the iron is still on.

My DH also bought me a steam generating iron (Rowenta Superpress) that I
just love. It has a big tank of water and works with very little effort on
my part.

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

s.com...

Old October 11th 03, 01:39 PM
Dustbunny

Thanks..
Wal-mart has the old type Iron. B&D for about 25.00
I was wondering if that would hold up better then the plastic types that we
find on the market today.. Due to the fact that My Old Iron was 1/2
plastic.. and melted..
Or does the Plastic Irons hold up just as well?

Old October 14th 03, 07:52 PM
TerriLee in WA

My QIs move the iron. (typically from the board to the floor). I'll
bet they'd teach yours. (VBEG

AliceW wrote:

[...]

TerriLee Bishop in WA (state) USA
(opinions are wholly owned by the author and don't represent anything)
;-)
remove "invalid" to reply
Old October 14th 03, 11:16 PM
AliceW

No. Thanks, though. Kirby is teaching them plenty - and none of it is
good! Little devil dog, he is! Came in this morning from his morning
backyard romp with a hot pepper in his mouth from my husband's garden. As
soon as he saw me, he took off. I have learned not to chase him. I went
out the side door and trapped him on the deck. He eventually bounded into
the house and up the stairs, but I was so afraid he'd chomp into the hot
pepper. I guess he wouldn't do that again, huh? Of course I won't go into
what he's done to the carpet at the bottom of the stairs and my kitchen
chairs! It hurts just to think about it!