Am I insane???

Old June 11th 04, 05:59 PM
Addie

Default Am I insane???

We will be moving into a new house in a couple of months and one thing I
would like to have is a set of room divider screens. Now, I know how costly
it would be to get somethng as intricate as I would like, so I got this
*wonderful* idea that I could stitch the fabric for them and then have them
"framed". I have some wonderful photos of doors from Bhuddist temples in
Korea and I thought it would be great to take some of them and chart them up
to stitch. Now, what makes it so crazy is that they would be about 650*850
stitches solid on 14count fabric!!!!! Am I insane to even consider
this?????

FYI, Here is one of the photos I would like to use.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51623547RIOLZf

--

remove "nospam" to reply

WIP: Winter into Spring Mystery Sampler, TW's Storyteller, SC Our Family
Tree

Old June 11th 04, 06:56 PM
Karen C - California

In article Vxlyc.2398$98.778@clgrps12, "Addie"
writes:

. Now, what makes it so crazy is that they would be about 650*850
stitches solid on 14count fabric!!!!! Am I insane to even consider
this?????

Depends. Do you want them done in this lifetime?

I'm coming up with 552,500 stitches each. Assuming you're a fairly speedy
stitcher, at 300 stitches per hour, that's 1841.7 hours per panel. For
comparison purposes, 2000 hours is one year of 40/hour week employment. If
you're a slow stitcher, multiply accordingly.

You might consider, just to get your dividers up, filling the spaces with plain
white fabric, and as you get the panels done, substitute stitching for the
muslin.

--
Finished 5/21/04 - Fireman's Wife
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old June 11th 04, 06:59 PM
Pat P

Not at all! I`ve done two or three at around that size, and they were VERY
complex. Make sure you`re going to really like them though - the I found I
hated the biggest one I did (about 800 by 500 on 18 count) and it`s rolled
up and still hiding at the back of the cupnboard - complrete but unframed.
Sigh.

Pat P

Old June 11th 04, 07:11 PM
Blackie105

I really love the star shapes...if you love it...go for it!
Blackie105

"Be brave enough to live life with joy." -- Unknown

Take the jinx out to reply
Old June 11th 04, 07:17 PM
Becky

Hmmmmm. . . . Depends on several variables:

1. How soon do you want the screen?

2. How fast do you stitch?

3. Your age at this point in time.

There are over half a million stitches in a chart this size, so numbers 2
and 3 above are particularly critical: ie, given the speed at which you
sitch, is it possible you will live long enough to complete the work? Half
a million is a lot of stitches, but probably doable. Doable and keep your
sanity, I'm not so sure!

I am looking at Marc Saastad's "Peace" chart, and it has a count of 219 x
290, and it looks like about 3/4 of the area within that count is actually
stitched, so let's say (219x290 = 63,510 x 3/4 =47,632) or somewhere around
47,000 stitches to do "Peace". Your chart is 650x850 =552.500 stitches, or
almost 12 times the number of stitches for "Peace".

Only you can decide if this is insanity, or a labor of love!

Becky

Old June 11th 04, 08:19 PM
Julie in Hondo

"Addie" wrote in message
[...]

I am curently working on a stained glasss window chart that I made through
PC Stitch. It is 140x450 solid stitches. I started on April 1, and am about
a third of the way done. I stitch at least 2 hours every night, and feel
like it will still take me till almost October to finish. Relative to the
piece your talking about ( which is beautiful BTW) it is very small and
quite an undertaking. I think you really might be crazy, my DH KNOWS I am. I
really wnat to finish it by September 15th or so for the county fair. Then
it goes to the 150 year old church where the original window resides.
Maybe I'll post pictures and get you the link.........??
Julie in Hondo
(who never really posts here but reads every single day!)

Old June 11th 04, 08:31 PM
Julie in Hondo

"Addie" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I'm replying to you twice...In looking at the picture of your door,
couldn't you just stitch the thingies at the bottom and find some really
nice fabric or tapestry close in detail to the top panels and use that? Then
amybe as time went by you could add stitched panels....Just a suggestion....
Julie in Hondo

Old June 11th 04, 10:36 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "Addie"

.... Now, what makes it so crazy is that they would be about 650*850
stitches solid on 14count fabric!!!!! Am I insane to even consider
this????? ....
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51623547RIOLZf

Do you sew at all? I can see those screens done in quilted fabric -- take a
lot less time too :-). It would be easy enough to design the motifs and then
either piece them or applique them! The original doors *are* beautiful!
CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Online Photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old June 12th 04, 12:31 AM
sewingsusan

Yes - You are insane..... if only because you will instigate a major
fight amongst your children (or heirs) after you pass on.....

As long as you plan to have this heirloom piece clearly designated in
your will - go for it! :-)

The door photos, if I can imagine the finished project well enough,
tells me that this is a classic Asian design which could be used in
many decorating situations. I suspect it will be much cherished.

Step one: Burn all your existing WIP - so that you don't get
distracted. Just kidding. I was diagnosed with ADD (for what
it's worth) - just imagine how many WIPs I have going??

SewingSusan
Old June 12th 04, 02:10 AM
Addie

I thought about that too today. Definitely an option. But I think I like
the idea of getting all of the variegations of colour that would be a lot
tougher through quilting.

PS: DH thinks I'm crazy!

--

remove "nospam" to reply

WIP: Winter into Spring Mystery Sampler, TW's Storyteller, SC Our Family
Tree

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...