Am I insane???

Old June 13th 04, 07:30 AM
Kristy Malarkey

I don't think you are totally insane, maybe partially :-).

In looking at your pictures, can you possibly do a combination of applique
and filler stitches in order to get the 3D effect? I am thinking applique
for the lattice work in the background and possibly different stitches such
as the satin stitch, can't remember the others off hand as my books went in
my household goods shipment last week. This way, you can still get your
variegated colors using some of the various variegated colors available from
thread gathers, stranded by the sea, six strand sweets, etc... depending on
how much variegation you want in the design. I love cross stitch, but I am
afraid that I would grow to hate doing a piece that large. Just a thought.
You may want to just experiment with a small piece to see if you like the
effect before tackling such a large one.

And don't worry, my DH things I am crazy too, I just remind him that he knew
that before we were married :-)

Kristy
"Addie" wrote in message
Replying to my own post 'cuz I just put the rest of 'm online he
http://community.webshots.com/album/151737475jsedRP

--

remove "nospam" to reply

WIP: Winter into Spring Mystery Sampler, TW's Storyteller, SC Our Family
Tree

"Addie" wrote in message
I have other doors that are far more bhuddist in their nature. I will

post
them soon.

--

remove "nospam" to reply

WIP: Winter into Spring Mystery Sampler, TW's Storyteller, SC Our Family
Tree

"escapee" wrote in message
news
I think this is a great project, but I would stitch it on something

which
would
eliminate all the filler, background stitches. Also, this is not a

tremendously
clear image and if you are going to make a pattern using a pattern

making
program, you may want to get a much better photograph.

I love it and if it were me, I would do it. I am currently stitching

large
Buddha Shakyamuni and doing most of it over one in real size.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:59:33 GMT, "Addie"

opined:

We will be moving into a new house in a couple of months and one

thing
would like to have is a set of room divider screens. Now, I know how

costly
it would be to get somethng as intricate as I would like, so I got

this
*wonderful* idea that I could stitch the fabric for them and then

have
them
"framed". I have some wonderful photos of doors from Bhuddist

temples
in
Korea and I thought it would be great to take some of them and chart

them
up
to stitch. Now, what makes it so crazy is that they would be about

650*850
stitches solid on 14count fabric!!!!! Am I insane to even consider
this?????

FYI, Here is one of the photos I would like to use.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51623547RIOLZf

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

Old June 14th 04, 11:02 AM
Kate Hare

Apologies Addie,

I thought you were considering working the panels in needlepoint - my
mistake. Whatever you decide I always think it's better to have one piece
that you really love than lots of pieces that you end up being indifferent
to, so really the time it takes is irelevant!

Kate,
sunny Dunfermline
---------------

Albany Hill
www.albanyhill.com
email

"Kate Hare" wrote in message
Love the design but I'm just wondering why you've chosen to work on 14
count? I think the design would work successfully on a 10 count canvas-
that way it would stitch up a lot quicker and you could do some matching

14
count pillows with the time you save!

Kate,
sunny Dunfermline
---------------

Albany Hill
www.albanyhill.com
email
please remove the "nospam" from header to reply

We will be moving into a new house in a couple of months and one thing I

Old June 14th 04, 02:33 PM
Addie

I've just been doing some experimenting with needlepoint this weekend and it
would make up soooooo much faster.

Now all the hard work comes in....getting canvas, charting vs. painting,
buying supplies (I'd love to do it in silks, but really can't afford that!),
designing, designing, designing! Any advice is appreciated as this will be
my first big foray into needlepoint.

Old June 14th 04, 10:52 PM
Olwynmary

Now all the hard work comes in....getting canvas, charting vs. painting,
buying supplies (I'd love to do it in silks, but really can't afford that!),
designing, designing, designing! Any advice is appreciated as this will be my
first big foray into needlepoint.

My preferred method is to make up my design on paper. First, I do rough
sketches, then, as my freehand drawing skills are virtually nil, I make a fair
copy by using lines lifted from design books, children's coloring books,
magazine illustrations, and good old drafting tools - whatever it takes to get
the final drawing. Then, after I have it perfected, I lay my canvas on top of
the drawing and trace the outlines only, using a pen whose ink is guaranteed
not to run (and, moreover, I also test that on a scrap of canvas).

I prefer to work with outlines only, as I have noticed a number of my friends
tend to miss needlepoint stitches here and there on their (expensive!)
handpainted canvases; I only tried one once, when a specific Christmas ornament
I wanted to give as a gift only came that way, and I did not particularly enjoy
the experience. I find that charts are somewhat of a pain to follow, in fact
they turn me cross-eyed.
Another point is that when working only with outlines, if a curve does not seem
to be the way I want it, I can rip and restitch until it is correct.

If this is indeed your first real foray into needlepoint, you may also wish to
invest in a few small pieces of canvas of various sizes, both mono and
penelope, to see which you like working on and which will give you the best
results.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old June 15th 04, 12:01 AM
Addie

"Olwynmary" wrote in message
[...]

It is definitely my first shot! Yesterday, I did about a third of a small
dimensions kit, then got frustrated because it wasn't printed square with
the canvas. Don't think I'll finish it...

I have bought a smaller piece of mono to try out some of the design,
especially to see if the colours are right and to perfect my technique. I'm
really liking the idea of needlepoint. I'm not one to shy away from
difficult projects - my first xs was a kit with lots of confetti, and my
second was a tablecloth with waste canvas, my third a TW!

I am going to try out your outline idea. I think it will suit me too.

Thanks!

Addie

Old June 15th 04, 02:23 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Addie" had some very interesting things to
say about Am I insane??? in needlepoint?:

It is definitely my first shot! Yesterday, I did about a third of a small
dimensions kit, then got frustrated because it wasn't printed square with
the canvas. Don't think I'll finish it...

Don't feel bad, I had the same problem. I *hate* stamped work!!!!

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL