Ironing board material

Old December 5th 04, 08:16 PM
jtsnow

Default Ironing board material

Im making a large ironing surface (6'x2') to iron quilts on.
What fabric/material should I use and where can I buy material premade
specifically for iron boards or appropriate to use for an ironing board?

Any tips appreciated

Thank you!

Old December 5th 04, 09:28 PM
Pogonip

jtsnow wrote:
Im making a large ironing surface (6'x2') to iron quilts on.
What fabric/material should I use and where can I buy material premade
specifically for iron boards or appropriate to use for an ironing board?

Any tips appreciated

Thank you!

I use a large gingham check for the top layer, and old
wool blanket for the padding. The gingham is woven (not a
print), and I use it to line things up and make them square.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old December 6th 04, 01:19 PM
Joy Hardie

Hancock Fabrics sells the silver teflon coated material specific for
ironing board surfaces. I used cotton batting under it for padding.
I made a huge surface and used a staple gun to affix it tautly.
Joy

Old December 6th 04, 03:54 PM
Siptah

JoAnn's has the ironing board/heat resistant material too...usually near
their bolts of muslin and canvas...

--
Siptah
Columbus, OH

news

Old December 6th 04, 04:32 PM
Karen Maslowski

I would be leery of using the silver material for ironing. It tends to
overheat fabric, IMO. I prefer to use plain canvas to cover my ironing
surfaces. It's not as pretty, but it's much better for steam pressing,
as it allows the steam to permeate and then keep on going through the
board top.

YMMV,
Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old December 6th 04, 05:10 PM
Elizabeth Young

I concur with Karen.
I have a board that is covered with canvas instead of that slippery
silver stuff. I like it a lot better because 1- whatever I am ironing
does not slide off, and 2 - the steam does not reflect back and cook my
fingers.

liz youn

Old December 6th 04, 05:20 PM
Diana Unterspan

over the plywood I put several layers of wool batting, then a wool
blanket and finally heavy duty uncleached muslin... hadn't thought of
canvas but its a great idea. that's the pressing table. when I want to
cut I pull out a large cutting mat stored behind the cupboards, this
way the large surface does two things. I also raised my table up on
empty paint cans to be a better height for cutting and pressing.

Old December 7th 04, 01:27 AM
Arri London

Diana Unterspan wrote:

over the plywood I put several layers of wool batting, then a wool
blanket and finally heavy duty uncleached muslin... hadn't thought of
canvas but its a great idea. that's the pressing table. when I want to
cut I pull out a large cutting mat stored behind the cupboards, this
way the large surface does two things. I also raised my table up on
empty paint cans to be a better height for cutting and pressing.

Made something similar to cover the dining table for ironing yardage;
old wool bolt ends that had holes from where it was taken off the loom.
Several layers of that stitched together and covered with an old cotton
sheet. Cut to drape over the table on all sides so it doesn't slide
around.

Have a small ironing pad made from the silvery fabric bonded to foam.
It's OK for small pieces but has some inherent creases which just have
never ironed out LOL!
Old December 6th 04, 05:42 PM
liz hall

I have just had to change my ironing board as I bought a steam generator and
they need a mesh base ironing board,
Liz

Old December 6th 04, 05:55 PM
Diana Unterspan

I have a rowena steam generator and just forge ahead without mesh. So
far (over a year) nothing has exploded or become moldy.

Ironing board material jtsnow Quilting 8 December 6th 04 03:51 PM
Ironing board fabric? jtsnow Needlework 3 December 6th 04 12:00 PM
ironing board cover Queen of Squishies Quilting 28 November 19th 04 02:44 PM
Looking for a quality ironing board for a gift Zagadka Quilting 7 November 4th 04 02:28 AM
Quality ironing board cover Sewing 11 February 24th 04 08:03 PM