I want to learn to make my own clothes (in Seattle)

Old November 16th 04, 08:21 AM
Kate Dicey

dnmgiordano wrote:
....snipped

Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
Should I get a sewing machine or a serger?

Do I need both or just

one? sewing books ?

copy my current garments, or is that too complex Thanks!!!

Jacqueline

A sewing machine is a must! unless you don't want finished hems, necklines,
etc.

Nah... Remember, clothes were made long before sewing machines! But
they do make things a LOT quicker! Especially long boring seams... The
seams are often stronger than hand stitched seams (not always, just
often!), and there's no way I'd do several yards of bridal hem by hand
unless the bride was prepared to pay the hours it takes!

I like the readers digest complete guide to sewing as thats what I learned
from (and all I own unfortunatly). There is a new edition in stores now,
basically the same as my 1976 first edition (older than me, and in better
shape than me too lol)

Oh, those '70's editions are the best! The new edition has replaced the
tailoring section with a very incomplete section on serging/overlocking.
Get an old one and a separate serger book. I have the new one, but I
also have 3 copies of the older edition!

copying is easy, I just did a santa suit with that method, it just takes
practice.

Copying is great for simple stuff, but there are much nicer designes in
the pattern books for most things. RTW clothing is so boring most of
the time. The RTW stuff I like and wear a lot is lovely to WEAR, but
dead boring to make! Lots of plain shapes in soft knits... Gimme an
1808 Light Infantry jacket, 16 bridesmaids in different colours, and a
beaded glory any day!

I learned by myself, I chose fabric, pattern and followed the directions
(after learning to use my machines basic stitches making cloth diapers and
curtains) It really was easy, I used a mccalls girls dress for my DDs for
flowergirl dresses in my wedding. I will admit they are a far cry from what
I can accomplish now, and its only been just over a year (but I have devoted
almost all my free time to learning once I discovered how addicting sewing
is) here are some pics, the white and purple dress was my first, the rest
are all my own designs
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...04_87043219506

Good stuff, this advice. And Michelle makes some cute stuff!

Just remember, preshink!!!! Find correct grainlines!!! (mistakes I have
made!)

Wise advice. Here in the UK most fabrics are 'needle ready' - i.e. you
don't need to do this. There are a few I always pre-treat, and pure
wool is the most important: steam press ALL OVER as it can shrink as you
press your nice tailored garment! This is part of the art of sewing,
this learning to press properly. Makes the difference between 'home
made' and 'hand tailored'.

try googling "learn to sew" there is lots of information out there.

Good luck!

Michelle Giordano

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 16th 04, 01:44 PM
Karen Maslowski

This is a pretty broad statement, Edgar.

Edgar S. wrote:
Excuse me, but there are a couple of problems with your plan of making
all of your own clothes.

The plan seems impractical. Even a simple design takes skill to
excecute well. sewing skills take years to perfect. One does not start
whipping out professional looking clothes the first time.

I have to disagree. I've had students (of all ages, young kids to older
adults) who took to sewing amazingly quickly, and were able to make
their first garments look stunningly perfect. Modestly, I only partly
attribute this to the expertise of their teacher--they themselves had
native talent, but they also had motivation to succeed, which is critical.

Everything is relative, and there are no absolutes.
Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old November 16th 04, 05:44 PM
Kate Dicey

dnmgiordano wrote:

"Kate Dicey"snipped

Good stuff, this advice. And Michelle makes some cute stuff!

you are too kind to me!!! Thanks

Michelle Giordano

No, no! If anyone tries to tell you those baby things ain't cute, you
may whack them with this kipper:

|\__/|
\ /
/ \
/ \
/ \
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
\ o /
\/\/

Old November 16th 04, 06:20 PM
dnmgiordano

"Kate Dicey"snipped

Old November 16th 04, 06:54 PM
dnmgiordano

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
dnmgiordano wrote:

"Kate Dicey"snipped

Good stuff, this advice. And Michelle makes some cute stuff!

you are too kind to me!!! Thanks

Michelle Giordano

No, no! If anyone tries to tell you those baby things ain't cute, you may
whack them with this kipper:

|\__/|
\ /
/ \
/ \
/ \
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
\ o /
\/\/

--
Kate XXXXXX

Its A Deal! whats a kipper? (very good artistry btw!)

Old November 16th 04, 07:28 PM
Elizabeth Young

dnmgiordano wrote:
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
No, no! If anyone tries to tell you those baby things ain't cute, you may
whack them with this kipper:

|\__/|
\ /
/ \
/ \
/ \
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
\ o /
\/\/

Its A Deal! whats a kipper? (very good artistry btw!)

Kippered herring! Herring smoked and packed in oil in a tin. Wonderful
on crackers. You can really tell who your friends are - they are the
ones that do not run screaming from the room when you open the tin. They
just politely hold their noses.

Also a salmon of some sort.

liz young in sunny california - hungry for fish!
Old November 16th 04, 08:11 PM
AmazeR

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:28:15 +0000, Elizabeth Young wrote:

dnmgiordano wrote:
"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
[...]

mmmm..... yummmmm..... Now you've made me hungry for crackers with lots
of tasty things on!! LOL

Mavis

--
http://linuxathome.ath.cx/~mavis/blog/index.php

Old November 16th 04, 08:11 PM
dnmgiordano

No, no! If anyone tries to tell you those baby things ain't cute, you
may
whack them with this kipper:

|\__/|
\ /
/ \
/ \
/ \
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
\ o /
\/\/

Its A Deal! whats a kipper? (very good artistry btw!)

Kippered herring! Also a salmon of some sort.

liz young in sunny california - hungry for fish!

Oh, Duh.....that might explain her wonderful fish drawing LOL!

Michelle Giordano

Old November 16th 04, 08:20 PM
Kate Dicey

dnmgiordano wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

dnmgiordano wrote:

"Kate Dicey"snipped

Good stuff, this advice. And Michelle makes some cute stuff!

you are too kind to me!!! Thanks

Michelle Giordano

No, no! If anyone tries to tell you those baby things ain't cute, you may
whack them with this kipper:

|\__/|
\ /
/ \
/ \
/ \
| |
| |
| |
| |
\ /
\ /
\ o /
\/\/

--
Kate XXXXXX

Its A Deal! whats a kipper? (very good artistry btw!)

A kind of English smoked fish. Notorious for leaving a lingering smell
behind, and often eaten for breakfast in days of yore...

Old November 16th 04, 08:26 PM
Kate Dicey

Elizabeth Young wrote:

dnmgiordano wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

[...]

Standard English/Scots usage is only a herring split and smoked. They
are spilt open, laid flat, salted, tied in pairs by the tail, and hung
up to smoke. It's a cold smoked process. I've only ever seen them sold
loose (packed in large boxes, wrapped in greaseproof paper - no oil!) or
as fillets vacuum packed for 'boil in the bag' atrocities... They need
a wee bitty of butter and a couple of minutes under a hot grill.
Anything else is murder!