elusive fabric! (long)

Old December 18th 03, 01:20 PM
Debbi

Pat,

I will have to take you shopping with me sometime. I bought some really
pretty Benartex fabric last year and started to use it this year on an Irish
Chain quilt. It was looking so good that I decided to make the quilt bigger
so that it would fit on my queen size bed, but alas, I can't find the
fabric. Only have enough to make a twin size! I need your good luck to rub
off on me!!!

Congrats on your great find!

Debbi in SO CA

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
This is a Christmas tale with a tiny little miracle .... well,
okay, this is fabric, so I won't call it a miracle but I will
chortle about a serendipitous ending!

About six years ago I made Christmas Stockings for my dear
niece's three kidlets. The front of each is a crazy patch work
and the name embroidered on an Aida insert. The quilting is along
seam lines and wherever I thought to add some interest. I can
easily make more stockings with similar fabric and style. The
backs are another story. The backs are matching fabric which I
bought in the late 80s. Simple little motifs on white. The motifs
are separated with a cross hatch of tiny holly leaves, so it was
super easy to follow the grid while quilting the back of
stocking. The problem is that I used most of that fabric on those
stockings and then she had more kids! Now I want you to
understand that the problem is not that the kids arrived ... the
number 4 child was called Desiree because she was a much desired
baby. The problem is that their Batty Great Aunt did not use a
plain red fabric!!!

When # 4 child was born in 2000, I was rather creative, IMO. I
used just about every bid of the matching fabric and pieced it
with some Millennium fabric. DN was pleased to see the year of
birth added to the design. Soooo, when Zachary was born this
September I told her I would make him a stocking but did not have
enough of the backing fabric ... just about a 3" piece. She
suggested I just use some 2003 fabric, as the year fabric was so
cool in Desiree's stocking. I had to explain to my non sewing DN
that we may have to wait until the next Century to find dated
fabric. She assumed it was made every year. (Not a bad idea,
IMO!) Okay, since DN uses a certain stocking for the first
Christmas, I do have about 11 months to make this. I've been
giving it some thought. Yesterday I was in WalMart to buy coffee
and just happened to wander by the fabric area. I selected a bolt
of COC and got in line for cutting. I was GOBSMACKED to see the
fabric the woman in line had! It was just $2.00 per yard and best
of all, it is (Ta Da!) *THE* backing fabric!!!!!!! I got about 2
yards! Woo hoo, is this cool or what?

PAT, grinning in VA/USA

Old December 18th 03, 03:21 PM
Jalynne

Pat...i would definitely call that a miracle...LOL. That fabric was just meant to be
yours! What a great story, and so typical of Christmas time.

Hugs, and happy stocking making.
--
Jalynne

Old December 18th 03, 03:32 PM
Jan Dunaway

Yahoo! What a find!!!!!! :-) I just love it when that happens!!

Jan

Old December 18th 03, 03:41 PM
frood

Are you sure that's enough? Maybe you should have bought the bolt. wg

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old December 18th 03, 04:28 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

__TWO__ yards, Pat? Just how many children is she planning on
having???? Yikes!

Leslie vbeg

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old December 18th 03, 08:54 PM
Patti

I had to laugh at this! It reminded me of the one occasion when I made
a bikini. g. It hadn't struck me as odd, but I was telling my MIL
about this new venture and said I had bought 4yds of fabric!! She
looked at me very oddly, and I could *see* the question in her eyes - 4
yards/bikini? Of course, all the pieces were cut on the cross/bias and
were double thickness + there was an overskirt and a short jacket!!
But, her face was a picture!!
..
In article , The
HairyFacedOnes 'N Me writes
__TWO__ yards, Pat? Just how many children is she planning on
having???? Yikes!

Leslie vbeg

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 18th 03, 08:54 PM
Anne

You only bought 2 yards? Pat, what were you thinking? After a search
like that, I'd be tempted to get more --maybe even the rest of the bolt.

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl