how do I begin?

Old April 9th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Such generosity (:))

uh oh! sounds like you're hooked!

*that's how it begins*

see ya

steve

Old April 24th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

wrote in message
oups.com...
WOW! What a response, and how kind and cool you are with sharing your
advice and skills. (D)

I will be enrolling this week at the local college that holds ceramic
classes... YAY!

I must say I am very inspired by you and hugely excited about getting
started, learning about all these techniques and letting you know down
the line about my experiences and my own lessons!!!

Hi!

I am a bit slow reading the group these days, but I am so glad that you have
already found a class.

I have been "going potty" for almost 5 years now, and with the support of my
husband (and his kind builds of table, bench etc.), I now have a usable home
studio! I am totally hooked too.

Everyone says to find a good teacher. That is alfa-omega, I think. I have
found a gal who is so great and knows so much! Still, I feel that I have
gotten interesting input from the other two teachers I had as well, and I do
hope to take classes/courses from other people to get other ideas and
inspirations as time goes on.

If you are able to take some clay home and have it in a room that it is OK
to get dusty, practicing (enjoying!) between classes isn't a bad idea
either.

Ask your teacher to tip you about a couple of books that you can fill
between-class time with as well.

It is really difficult to give up on a piece when you are just starting out.
I am just slowly learning to now. What I did in the beginning was to keep
it, even if it looked a bit ugly and wasn't what I was aiming to do, as long
as it was "a piece" - and not a lump, for example - I had plenty of those
too, especially on the wheel! Haha!

Keeping the pieces, I now can see my progress. These days, I am hoping that
some of them get broken, though ;-)

Sometimes, ceramics can become rather all-consuming. Do remember to come up
for air now and then, especially if you have a spouse and/or kids who might
enjoy your company now and then :-)

Most of all - have fun!!!

Marianne - sometimes glad her spouse comes home late from work ;-)