Dear Red States

Old November 8th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

Default Dear Red States

"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote in message

"flitterbit" wrote in message
lucretia borgia wrote:
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 12:18:42 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
opined:

I would be more impressed with the great "blue" state of California
if its rich, healthy, educated, well-employed, tax-paying tolerant
tanned and happy people had not brought an end to the right of gay
and lesbian couples (presumably also mainly rich, healthy,
educated, well-employed tax payers) to civil marriage.

Dawne

Yes, I was shocked to hear that. I thought California was supposed
to be ahead of everyone.

I was shocked as well as sorely disappointed. It would appear the "no"
campaign didn't do as good a job as they could have of dispelling
misconceptions, or of instilling the idea that the whole point of
permitting gays to marry was to extend equal rights to everyone, not just
heterosexuals, or of just plain emphasizing that gays are no different
than anyone else, they hold jobs, they vote, they buy homes, they raise
families, etc.

BTW, my understanding is that the "yes" voting was concentrated in rural
areas as well as in the religious and ethnic segments of California's
population.

They tightened the rules in Florida so that the constitution actually will
state that a marriage is between a man and a woman.

So sad.

Lucille

Good for them!

Pat

Old November 8th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

I was really ambivalent on this one. Marriage I think is between a man
and woman. However, there needs to be a legal situation for unmarried
people, who really have a long term relationship. Some states have it,
some don't.

Pat, in Florida there are a lot of us "mature" folk. There may be no
sex involved, but definitely over the hill regarding having babies.

Many of us oldies really lose a pension or a take a big, really big,
financial loss, by being married. Jim and I lived together for 13 years
before we married, 13 years ago. The reason?? I would lose the widows
Pension I had earned (yup earned, you were a navy wife) by marrying
prior to age 55. Now, we get both pensions, but Congress , taxes us on
almost all our Social Security.

Guess you can't win for losing these days LOL

Gill
Old November 8th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

Florida is really backward when it comes to this. They don't even have a
proper domestic partnership law and they don't allow gay couples to adopt.

Old November 8th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia borgia wrote:
[...]

I agree, there needs to be some legality involved. I know several
couples, as do you I suspect, who are in that unfortunate dilemma.

Other than financial, religion also comes into play. I know/knew a
couple who had been a couple for 30-40 years. His legal wife was
catholic, he and Polly , who knows. Anyway, they kept separate names,
but they were together a very long time. He died a couple of years back,
and Polly was not even mentioned in the obituary. I think she had no
say. His "wife" in Maine was listed as the loving widow, and they hadn't
seen each other for a zillion years.

it is something when we oldies live in sin. isn't it??

I have to laugh when I remember introducing my Mom to Jim( years before
we married) and she approved, because I was beyond child-bearing years
LOL. Mum wasn't as stuffy as I thought!

Gil
Old November 8th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 7, 2:43*pm, Karen C in California wrote:
*I am 150% hetero; when I got
married, it was Hallelujah, I never have to live with women again.

That explains a lot about you, actually.

I treasure the women in my life.

Elizabeth
Old November 8th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 7, 2:47*pm, Karen C in California wrote:
dark.angel wrote:
It's people like YOU that make other
people too afraid to pray in front of me once they find out I'm a Dem.

Not me. *I manage to be both a Dem and a Christian.

However, I can't begin to count how many Reps have made statements in my
presence to the effect of "all Jews/Buddhists/Muslims are going straight
to hell because they're not Christians". *Dems are more tolerant of
other religions.

Bull****.

Pure unadulterated bull****, Karen.

Elizabeth
Old November 8th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 7, 3:19*pm, Karen C in California wrote:
Good question. *I suspect some of them voted only on Prop 8 and nothing
else on the ballot. *Let me get the final/official statistics (available
end of the month) and see which issues/people have substantially more or
less votes than the others.

I'd be interested to see those stats, because it's highly unlikely
that anyone voted on a proposition without voting for president. It's
much more likely that people voted for president without voting on the
propositions.

Elizabeth
Old November 8th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Jangchub" wrote .

The part I don't understand is, what the hell is it anyone's business
if gay men and women want to marry? What is this crap about
semantics, civil unions, marriage, legal contract, whatever anyone
wants to call it. Do they love one another any less than any other
couple?

The state has an interest in who can marry, partly one of protection (you
can't marry below a certain age) and partly its interest in property. The
semantics are necessary because while some marriages are purely civil
arrangements, others are marked by religious ceremonies. No religious
institution can be compelled to provide a religious rite for those people
who in the view of their faith are not able to receive it. Here in Canada,
a gay couple of legal age can have a civil marriage ceremony. Whether or
not they can have a religious ceremony depends on the faith group; one
mainstream Protestant church marries gay couples, other faith groups are
debating it, and some won't.

Dawne

Old November 8th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Karen C in California" wrote..

Personally, I've been propositioned by a couple of lesbians who think that
because I'm divorced I should hate men. Did I cry on S's shoulder when my
relationship broke up? Yeah. Did I find her sexually attractive while I
was doing it? No. She just happened to be the nearest person when I got
the news. I am 150% hetero; when I got married, it was Hallelujah, I
never have to live with women again.

Um, not all lesbians hate men. None of my lesbian friends made any such
assumption about me when I broke up with a man, any more than I would assume
that if one of them breaks off a relationship she now hates women and I
should hook her up with a man. And there are many many fates worse than
living with women. My Best GFs and I often talk about living together in
our old age, and we are not entirely kidding.

Dawne

OT - Dear Dad Elly[_2_] Quilting 4 February 9th 08 05:37 AM
OT Dear all . . . CATS Quilting 5 September 13th 07 05:08 PM
A little OT Finished something - but oh dear! Cats Quilting 29 January 30th 07 03:39 AM
Oh Dear! KJ Quilting 13 January 31st 05 02:59 PM
OT - Dear Mom LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 8 April 25th 04 02:10 AM