Flooring help needed

Old August 11th 05, 04:42 PM
Butterfly

I have a high grade, low loft carpet with a GOOD padding underneath in the
Butterfly Studio and I LOVE it. Pins 'rest' on top of the carpet. Got a dark
green as the color choices were very limited in that grade : ( Shows threads
and pins but is also EASY for my wheeled chair to slide across....and I
slide it alot from SM to compie and back again. Carpet keeps my feet
warm--I'm practically BAREFOOT year round : ) and I don't have to worry on
'breaking things' or things BOUNCING once they hit the floor....like I would
if I had vinyl or tile (have had BOTH in previous homes). Tile chips when
the rotary cutter/iron hits it just right and both tile and vinyl are HARD
on your back if you stand for any length of time---no 'give' in it. I also
found them to be cold for most of the year. With carpet, I can go barefoot
: ) Tell my guys YOU step on a pin IN HERE---I don't wanna hear about it--my
room --my feet. They are careful and already KNOW which side of the cutting
table would have the 'pins' so they avoid that area....didn't take them long
to figure that out : )
HTH

Butterfly

"Mystified One" wrote in message
If I had a choice, I'd try and make a quilt design in the room. I know, I
know, but it's still fun.

You could do vynyl flooring but put small area rugs (even bathroom rugs)
in key areas. Area rugs are cheap, and certainly not that ugly color.
Keeps your feet warm and it's easy to shake out pins if need be for
sweeping.

"Mary in Washington" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again, I am calling your expertise and experience concerning the
floor for my sewing room. Without dishing the dirt on the previous
owner, I do wish that his bellybutton pops out, his legs fall off and
the house inspect have to carry him around. What we thought was going
to be a simple update turned into a 3-year construction party.

We have worked hard for 3 years to get this house up to standards. New
carpet, paint, hardwood, tile, moldings, fixtures, so on and so forth
has brought us to the outside paint which will happen next summer and
the floor in my sewing room. This is the space that I have always
coveted and have been thrilled with the set up. The carpet now is gold
shag right out of the 70's and other then a good cleaning before I
move in it has had nothing done to it. I am ashamed to say that I am
even afraid to vacuum in there because when I am in a project it gets
totally trashed. But I pick up and put everything back in order after
each project...but I am sure I miss some pins.

That being said, I am also a bare foot quilter. Can't stand
shoes!!!! In winter I will compromise with socks but that is it and
nice carpet would be nice.

Do I put hard wood, tile, carpet, and if so what kind. Please tell me
what you have and why you love, like or hate it.

My gratitude in advance.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Old August 11th 05, 04:57 PM
Mary in Washington

Many thanks. Had DH read all of the post this morning and he thinks we
need to go with a laminate with the heater under it. It would me
redoing the sub floor, so more work.........frown..... but worth the
extra work and money.

I have concerns about rolling around in my chair but can always toss a
rubber backed runner down on the path. I have a 10' table that holds
my cutting mat, sewing machine and ironing pad and just sail back and
forth. love it

We too are shoes off. Once a month we have a poker party here and even
our friends are comfortable enough to drop thier shoes at the door. I
told them it was not nesessary but everyone just seems to be more
comfortable. I keep a pair of flip flops at every door in the house.
It gets alittle funny when I go to step outside and DH or DS have my
shoes on with thier feet hanging over.

Thanks again for all you advice. I knew that I could count of all of
you and it was ALL taken into consideration and discussed.

Mary

Old August 11th 05, 06:24 PM
Elizabeth Young

For those of us who want to share the wonderful things we find on the
web but don't want to mess with long addresses, try
tiny.url.com
Takes the iron caddy page address and turns it into
http://tinyurl.com/cmgdj

ta da!

nayy, just happy!

liz young in warm/hot california

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Polly, and others who have pressing issues (irons falling off board.)
You might try the caddy or cage that Clotilde sells. NAYY!! It is
designed so that human and other QI do not knock the iron to floor. Go
to Clotilde.com & search for Iron caddy #285801. Would like to add the
link but it was longer than the Gettysburg Address!

Old August 11th 05, 06:50 PM
Roberta Zollner

The wheels are wider than the grout grooves. Mine rolls just fine!
Roberta in D

"Denise in NH" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Sandy in Henderson. I am in the process of creating a new sewing room,
since the boomerang son returned home and reclaimed his bedroom. I was
considering a ceramic tile floor. My concern is how would my rolling
chair move on it. I thought that it would kind of clunk down into the
grout grooves. Your post says that your chair rolls around just fine.
Really?? No getting the wheels sort of stuck in the grooves?

I'm glad to hear this, as I really want the easy to take care of tile.

Denise

Old August 11th 05, 06:56 PM
Roberta Zollner

Ha! One night after unwisely drinking a lot of tea just before bedtime, I
had to get up at an hour when my eyes don't open. Didn't turn lights on, I
can find the bathroom in the dark. Fortunately put my slippers on. The next
morning I found a very large squashed corpse right in the middle of the
bathroom! Vaguely remembered a sort of lump in the floor during my nighttime
excursion...
Roberta in D, who will never ever even think of going barefoot in the dark

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The other night, in the middle of the night, I had to go to the toilet,
and right outside the bathroom door sat this huge spider. Now I wasn't
wearing my glasses even, but still saw it. The spiders here are of course
quite safe (for humans, not for themselves).

Wnet back through the flat, collected glasses (why? I didn't really waht
to see it), and shoes (not slippers). Sad to say, the spider did not
survive.

Sorry, but those big ones don't belong in my flat, and I can't get myself
to handle them alive...

Hanne in London

Cheryl wrote:
I had friends on a rural property years ago. They had three young
children.
As everyone came in through the back door, shoes were stacked there.
No-one
was allowed out without sturdy shoes on - even/especially in hot
weather -
as this was snake territory! This also worked fine for inside - less
dirt
on the carpets for mum to clean.

Until one night we three adults were slumped down on chairs with our legs
stretched out in front of us, relaxing after a day of tree planting (500
seedlings, but that's another story).

Suddenly he elbowed me. I looked over and elbowed her. We all sat there
not moving as the very large scorpion wandered past him and towards me.
As
soon as it was well past him and obviously eyeing off the females present
he
got up quietly, went into the laundry and returned with a boot. Squashed
scorpion! Then we all went back to watching the movie. No-one had said
word.

Old August 11th 05, 07:14 PM
Bonnie Patterson

We just pulled up all of the old carpet in the entire house, currently
installing all wood flooring. Love it! The dogs slide on it, the cat
too, but my desk chair on wheels runs fine. I have also insisted on
putting wheels or felt pads on every thing. Do you know how often one
has to move an overloaded entertainment center? All of the wires are
behind it.

SOs wife sometimes used a wheel chair and found this old carpet (it
was new when she was here) hard to get around on. (she passed away)
Oh, not from the carpet.

I love wood!

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:27:31 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

It has to do, dear DrQ, with old age and/or mileage. Some of us need to be
as kind to our old bodies as we can and a softer floor is simply gentler to
our grumpy old bones. We are not complaining really, just very proud to
still be around. Polly
"DrQuilter" asked PS: what is it that you guys don't like about
standing on tile for a
long period of time? I don't get it. Why would it be less comfortable?

Old August 11th 05, 08:15 PM
~KK in BC~

uhhhhhhh........... kinda scared to ask......... what did it resemble in its
flatness?

~KK in BC~ being a tad morbidly curious.........

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

Old August 11th 05, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

Oh boy, what a challenge. A barefooted quilter in Washington state? Golly.
I wonder if anyone here has tried the new version of cork. It's
supposedly finished so you can mop it but is also supposed to warm and
quiet. Lately, the decorators on tv have been going crazy about it but I'd
like to hear from some real people. Anybody here claim to be a "real

Haven't tried the "new version", but cork floors were standard in chemistry
research labs in the 40's and 50's, because you could drop a piece of
expensive glassware and have some hope it wouldn't break. I worked in
one of those labs in the late 70's... heaven on feet and backs.
Old August 11th 05, 11:55 PM
Diana Curtis

Ahhh, the infamous Rorschach Spider test.
Diana

Old August 12th 05, 12:48 AM
Cheryl

Way to go! I had commercial appliances installed in my new kitchen. Cost
the earth but will last forever. Ex-catering, and I can confirm that
commercial kitchen flooring is absolutely the best option if you can. Kind
to backs and feet, easy to clean and practically indestructable. And yes -
if can look great too.
--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

I don't fling Ginghers but Mr. Kitty has been know to bounce a hefty
Rowenta. Our pantry has an ugly gouge in it where the movers shoved the
freezer back against the wall. If we replace the floor, the freezer and
refrigerator will have to come out and then back in on the new floor.
Somehow, it just is easier to live with the first gouge. Thank you for

the
real thoughts on cork. Polly

When we finally get around to re-doing our Brady Bunch kitchen (complete
with harvest gold appliances) I am getting a rubber floor like
commercial kitchens - squishy and long wearing.

http://www.expanko.com

They also have a cork version called xcr3. Made with a combo of cork
and rubber it is said to last 30 years in a commercial kitchen, still
soft but more durable than cork. If you have your heart set on cork
this might be a better option than the plain cork flooring.

marcella