OT - The sympathy of a 7 yo long, kleenex may be needed

Old February 19th 05, 05:33 AM
katieW.

Default OT - The sympathy of a 7 yo long, kleenex may be needed

Last night my son, whom I have always thought of as being very loving
and sweet and sensative anyway, blew me out of the water.

(Quick background: I have only been back to work for about 2 months,
after being on a 2.5 yr medical leave battling bipolar disorder. When
my doctor cleared me to return to work, the HR dept decided that I was
no longer capable of doing my job and medically disqualified me from a
job that I had held for 6 years. (That is a rant for another day) The
long and the short of this means that I am working temp fill-in
positions while trying to bid into another position (as it is a union
environment, and given the fact that we have many people on layoff,
jobs are hard to come by) This has been very stressful for me, and not
a great way to reenter the workplace. This week I started yet another
temp, in a very high tempo, frentic work area. Great people, but lots
going on, tons of stuff to remember, etc. I am supporting 11 people
and the week has been quite draining, to say the least.)

OK, so Thursday night, I get home from work at 6pm, and the house is
cold. really cold. like 47 degrees cold. The outside temp is supposed
to drop to -10 overnight. I check the breaker box. nothing. I turn
off the thermostat, go downstairs and turn off the furnace, wait 15
minutes, turn everything back on and see if that resets it. (The
furnace crapped out 2 years ago, and the tech had me do this a few
times before he scheduled the service call; it was a faulty temperature
regulator sensor, and the guy told me at the time I was lucky to have
the coverage otherwise it would have cost me almost $500 for the
service call) The furnace kicked on, blew for about 90 seonds and shut
off. I tried again with the same results. So, I go upstairs throw
some frozen kid-food on a cookie tray and pop it into the oven and go
hunting for my service contract. I know I have one, but I can never
remember which company it is thru (and I've only needed it once in the
5 years since we built the house) Finally find the notation on the
file with my gas company bills, and I call. I sit on Perma hold,
listening to how important my call is to them. HA! finally get
through to some smarmy nasty punk kid who snottily informs me that I
had cancelled my service in December. WRONG answer, buckwheat. He
proceeds to inform me that because my payment in DEC was late, it
automatically cancelled my service guard account, and I hadn't bothered
to call and have it reinstated. It is a line item on out gas bill,
which is paid current. I've had this service for 5 years and have
never encountered such a thing, not even when my DH got sent to the
desert and the Navy failed to pay us for 5 months. So, I ask him if I
can reinstate it and place the service call. He says, "I can reinstate
you, but your furnace will no longer be covered as it has a
pre-existing condition." I informed him that it has a faulty sensor
not Terminal Cancer, and could I please speak to him supervisor. This
continues in the same vein for the next 2 hours, with me getting more
frazzled and upset to the point where I am in great sobbing tears in
the bedroom because I DON'T HAVE $500 to spend on the furnace, but as I
live in MN in winter it HAS to get fixed ASAP. I FINALLY get to talk
to someone that actually listened to what I was saying, and asked me if
I could pay for Jan & Feb service payments immediately ($39.90) I said
YES. She made the payment arrangement, called a tech, and told me to
call her back if he wasn't at my house within an hour. So, I go out
into the livingroom, and explain to my son why I was so upset.

He tells me, "I have something for you mom." He hands me a card he had
just made. He had drawn an Angel holding a magic wand. the front of
the card said, "I am your Angle. How may I help you?" Inside the card
it said, "What is Rong???"

So after many more tears and hugs, we played with dominoes on the
kitchen floor in front of the 450 degree oven trying to stay warm until
the tech left.

I put that card in my purse this morning when I left the house to go to
work. 1 mile away from work my front tire exploded and threw me in the
ditch. I pulled out that card and it got me through another really
****ty day. I will have that card until the day I die.

Old February 19th 05, 06:07 AM
starlia

Big hugs Katie and I feel you on the Kleenex issue. I swear the service
techs really suck - whoever it is. I'm so happy that you got it fixed
before it got too cold in the house. Minnesota is no place to be without
heat.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

ups.com...

Old February 19th 05, 06:38 AM
Polly S.

katieW. wrote:
Last night my son, whom I have always thought of as being very loving
and sweet and sensative anyway, blew me out of the water.

may he grow up to be as wonderful a man as he is a child.

ok i'm crying...

Old February 19th 05, 12:29 PM
Beadbimbo

Ok, you made me cry! And I can picture it even better, becuase I've met
him! Give that little cutie a hug for me!!

Oh, and hubby was talking about duct taping the front of the van together
until we get things settled with the ins. co. about the accident. (The
woman did have ins. but it sure is hard getting this taken care of!) I
thought about you, telling me about the Red Green show, when he said that.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

ups.com...

Old February 19th 05, 01:13 PM
Diana Curtis

Huge Hugs to you and your son. You have a guardian Angle.. how special your
son is.
:-) Diana

--
- insert pithy siggy line here-
ups.com...

Old February 19th 05, 01:47 PM
Glitzy Glass

Dear Katiie;

That was such a wonderful story. Your son is going to be one of those
fantastic men one day. Years ago when I was going through my divorce,
I had a bad spell of depression - thank goodness my mom came to be with
me - anyway I was sitting on the couch feeling just plain awful from
head to toe and my son who was eleven at the time came in with a very
mushed up peanut butter and jelly sandwhich - he said "mom, please
let's make our own family, and have dinner like we used to" and he
gently set the sandwhich in my lap. It was the best sandwhich I ever
had, and it helped me get back on my feet. Today, Joe (he is still
Joey to me) is a wonderful, sensitive man and husband.

A son that can feel your troubles at a young age and set his little
mind to work to help you feel better is a treasure! I don't have a
card like you - but I can tell you that peanut butter and jelly
sandwhiches always bring me back to a wonderful memory of my sweet
little boy!

Denise Rossi
www.needbeads.com

Old February 19th 05, 01:53 PM
Karen Sherwood

Awwwww, extra hugs from me, too!

My DS has always been the sensitive sort, too, bless him. As he nears
the teens I worry that this will change, but I don't think so.

What is it with flats???? I had one on the highway Thurs night....right
front. Thankfully I was only 1 lane away from the right shoulder, so I
got pulled off quickly and safely. My DS nearly jumped out of the car
(on the traffic side) and I screamed at him. Scared him enough to make
him jump. I did the idiot yelling Mom thing, then looked at his face and
started to cry. Lots of hugs as I explained that he scared me and what
he was trying to do was dangerous. Then, of course, when I started to
get out he was worried for me. He wanted to much to help, so I let him
flip up the back seat to get out the jack & stuff while I got the tire.
THEN I realized I didn't know how to use this jack (it's different from
our other Jeep, which I know way too well). So I called Mike and he rode
to our rescue. (My cowboy!!!) Tire was fixed and we were on our way in
30 min. I was amazed because a highway cop even stopped to see if we
needed help. (AFTER we got the tire on. LOL) My DS got a lesson on
jacks, bolts, and all that good stuff. Mike was frazzled but very
willing to teach him. My guys! G It's so cool that there really ARE
some good ones out there.

KarenS
Old February 19th 05, 05:52 PM
Su/Cutworks

KatieW wrote:

Last night my son, whom I have always thought of as being very loving
and sweet and sensative anyway, blew me out of the water.

Oh, that's so wonderful.

They can make all the pain worthwhile, can't they?

-Su

Old February 19th 05, 11:18 PM
Marisa2

Ok, that had me in tears too...

Thanks for the story. Hope your home is all warmed up again now.

marisa2

Old February 20th 05, 12:28 AM
katieW.

My house is waaarrrmmmmm.

My van is drivable (and an asshole Firestone manager got put in his
place)

Best of all: I went to Target this morning and found 3 linen-like
tunic jacket and pants sets in charcoal, taupe, and plum; tailored
shirts in coral, lemon, mint, robins' egg blue, and carnation pink,
dress slacks in tan and black, and spring sweaters in peach and
lavender. ALL for under $40!!!! Happy dance!!! I actually have
clothes that fit to wear to work!! (the one bad thing about my meds is
that I am about 50 lbs heavier than when I last worked, so I had
nothing businessy to wear) now i need to make bright color
pretties....

I think my Karma balanced again.

Hi, all! (long) Susanne Quilting 6 August 21st 03 01:04 PM
Long. Sewing blocks to each other Polly Esther Quilting 12 July 22nd 03 05:06 PM