Tried Insul-Bright from Warm Co.

Old September 2nd 04, 03:40 PM
Susan Laity Price

Default Tried Insul-Bright from Warm Co.

In my on-going project of making small items for the bazaar I wanted
to make trivets. I had read about a new heat resistant batting from
Warm Company called Insul-Bright. I must say right now that I am not
in anyway connected with the company. I just found it to be a
wonderful product.

It is 22.5" wide and cost less than $3.00 per yard. According to the
label "Insul-Bright is the ideal insulated lining for many projects.
It consists of hollow, polyester fibers needlepunched through Mylar.
The hollow fibers resist conduction while the reflective Mylar resists
radian energy. The energy, hot or cold, is reflected back to its
source. Just like Warm and Natural, Insul-Bright is easy to sew and
your finished projects can go right into the washer and dryer and will
not break down over time." It looks like batting on both sides with a
shimmer because the silver mylar is showing through.

Instructions do suggest that you use the product with one layer of
cotton batting. I emailed the company to ask if that cotton batting
should be the back layer (closest to table) or next to the pieced
square (closest to the heat source). Sorry to say it has been three
days and I have not had a response. I couldn't wait so finished one
trivet layering it pieced square, Insul-Bright, cotton batting,
backing square.

I boiled a pan of water and took it directly from the stove to sit on
the trivet. After five minutes the table under the trivet was not even
warm! This is as good if not better than the silver pre-quilted stuff
and certainly is nicer to use. I plan to add the information on the
hang tag that the trivet was made with a heat resistant material.

Just thought you would appreciate hearing that a product lives up to
the hype.

Susan

Old September 2nd 04, 03:54 PM
nana2b

Hi Susan, Where did you find it at $3 a yard. My local Bernina Shop, the
only one that has it charges $5 a yard. TIA. Linda

Old September 2nd 04, 08:35 PM
sdgodfrey

This is great news. I just ordered some Insul-Bright a couple of days
ago from Connecting Threads. I've been wanting to do some potholders
and can't find it locally. I got a yard that's 45" wide for $5.99. I
ordered a Big Board (my birthday pressie!) also, but it will take longer
to get here. Thanks for the critique.

--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

Old September 2nd 04, 10:38 PM
Patti

Thanks for this information, Susan.
I like to make placemats for gifts, occasionally, and if I know such a
product is available I can search around for it - even over here!
Thanks for the test result, too. Most helpful.
..
In article , Susan Laity
Price writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 3rd 04, 02:32 PM
Susan Laity Price

I have had a Big Board for several years and love it. When I am at a
workshop using a standard size board I really miss my Big Board. I did
have to purchase a heavy duty ironing board to hold the Big Board.
When I first started using it my ironing board was light weight and
the legs bent under the weight of the extra board. I bought the heavy
duty one at Walmart. Just be sure the legs are sturdy.

I find that I can do most of my family ironing with the big board in
place. The few shirts I iron for my husband fit nicely. The only
problem is when you want to slip the waistband of slacks over the end.
Even my XXL size won't fit.

Susan