Bali Silver -- What's the Deal?

Old July 31st 03, 05:08 AM
saucy

Default Bali Silver -- What's the Deal?

I don't think you are the first one to think about this question. I've
secretly wondered it myself. Why Bali silver? Does it have superman or
superwoman type qualities we don't physically see, touch, or smell?

Thanks to those who can enlighten a few of us.

Starlia
"Jewitch" wrote in message

I've secretly wondered this for months now (maybe even a couple of
years), but I've been too embarassed to ask anyone face-to-face, lest
I reveal some kind of flaw that I've otherwise managed to keep fairly
well hidden. There's something that I simply don't understand, yet all
the beaders around me seem to know this intuitively. None of the
magazines I read discuss this, none of the meetings I attend address
this . . .

Why Bali Silver? What's the big deal it? Is it really different
(better) in some way than other sterling that I don't know about? Is
it the quality of the silver that is mined in Indonesia? For that
matter, are there different "qualities" of sterling silver? Is the
shapes that are offered?

I'm curious, because as I've been researching silver, I've seen beads
actually manufactured on Bali, others maded in Indonesia that are
referred to as Bali (but technically wouldn't be, I assume). Then
there is silver like that sold at Bharti that is made in India. They
refer to their beads as Bali Silver, but if you did deep enough on
their web site, they also say, "We offer the same quality as Silver
Beads as Bali Beads(like manufactured in Bali)and at very reasonable
prices." But, I occasionally run across silver from Turkey and Isreal
that I actually prefer in texture, price and design that is also .925
(i.e., sterling).

I'm soooo confused!!!

So why the overall preference for Bali Silver? Can someone educate me,
please? I'm curious as to what I'm spending my money on.

Thanks!

Jewitch

Old July 31st 03, 05:59 AM
Karen_AZ

Here's my take:

Bali silver is one of the most recent (though not the first) and most
prevalent departures from traditional nice smooth silver beads. They have
texture, ornament, etc. that's very different from most of the European and
US stuff (mostly produced in the Rhode Island area, historically). In
particular, it's the granulation and wire work that's most noticeable. There
ARE other countries with specialties, like Javanese filigree and Nepali
bezel settings, but Bali hit the market at the right time in the right
quantities to really be noticed.

Much of what's coming out of Turkey or Israel is just as nice and just as
well-made. About the only beads I look skeptically at are Indian, because
the majority is cast from Bali beads and the textural definition gets
blurred or lost. Sometimes that's desirable, and certainly the lower cost is
appealing. I think it all boils down to a matter of taste in many ways. I'm
rather fond of some of the Thai silver, which is more organic looking than
the Bali silver...it's somehow softer, dunno how to explain it.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old July 31st 03, 11:01 AM
Kandice Seeber

Hmmm. Good question. For me, it's the fact that it's handmade of good
quality sterling silver, and it's just pretty to look at. It's heavy, dark
and lovely. And the designs are gorgeous. Consequently, I like a lot of
different silver things, not just Bali, but Bali is my favorite.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old July 31st 03, 05:51 PM
Dr. Sooz

But, I occasionally run across silver from Turkey and Isreal
that I actually prefer in texture, price and design that is also .925
(i.e., sterling).

Yes -- that's good stuff too. Any handcrafted sterling silver beads are what
we're drooling about. Handmade Balinese silver beads are kind of a benchmark
for this craft.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Selective deafness, it's a wonderful thing." ~Kathy N-V
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old August 1st 03, 01:12 AM
Christina Peterson

One of the beads I like to use the best is small daisy spacers. 5mm or 6mm.
They are very simple, so the Indian hand made ones are adequate and half the
price. Larger or more complex beads need the best workmanship.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
More Bali beads info, copied from Bead Notes and printed here with

permission:

BALI: COMPARING BALI and BALI-LIKE BEADS
I have spent the past day and a half researching this topic and have

gather
some valuable information regarding the differences between the Bali and
Bali-like beads.

From experience and after talking with some bead dealers, Turkish

Bali-like
beads seem to be the better of the three in craftsmanship, quality and
consistency. I have been using the Turkish beads for about a year now, and

this
has been an exceptional difference I have seen working with the Turkish.

So
that would explain why they are more costly. It seems I have had to set

aside
more true Bali beads because of poor quality (or inconsistency) than the
Turkish. I have ordered several grams of the Turkish and can count how

many
beads I have thrown out on one hand! Not many.

True Bali beads can consist of more complicated designs because each are
handmade. They are also inconsistent in size and design due to being

handmade -
but that's what makes them unique.

Indian Bali-like beads can vary in quality and craftsmanship. I think it

really
depends on who you are getting them from. I have been told that sometimes

it's
hard to tell the difference between Indian Bali-like beads and true Bali,
depending on the design. But I've seen some Indian Bali-like beads and

have
seen visible seams - I could just see that something was different.

However,
this could've just been the dealer, as I'd stated before. I've heard that

you
can get some really beautiful Indian beads. I plan to just order samples

start off with, to get a feel for which designs look good and can be

reproduced
with quality.

All three styles are made with sterling silver.

I hope this helps anyone who was wondering. Below I have pasted some links

various dealers for the Bali and Bali-like beads.

http://www.springmeade.com/~rainbow/SilverInStock (specializes in Indian
Bali-like beads) http://www.jewelryweaver.com (sells all three styles)
http://www.aylasoriginals.com (Turkish silver)

http://www.singarajaimports.com
(true Bali beads)

~~
Sooz
-------

Old August 1st 03, 04:40 AM
Deirdre S.

I, too, had the "What is the fuss about?" response at first, but after
comparing 'true' Bali to some of the imitations, side by side, I have
to admit to seeing a difference and valuing the real thing over the
knock-offs. And I respect the fact that its creation represents an
honored and honorable regional artisan tradition. It is skilled work
done by people whose hearts seem to genuinely be in the process of
creating something not only marketable, but of satisfyingly high
quality.

But having said that, it is their 'knock-off-ness' that I object to in
the lesser stuff. I'd rather see a more different in another style --
perhaps something unique to their region -- from the folks who do fake
Bali. Like Thai Hilltribe silver, which has a very different gestalt,
but is quite beautiful in its own right.

Having said that, I also admit to liking the satiny texture of pewter
in some things, and find that quality of medium perfectly adequate to
many purposes. And I like copper *a lot* because of its soft, warm
overtones. I would take good, interestingly designed copper over some
kinds of ho-hum Standard Brands Bali.

So -- that's just my perspective on handworked metal stuff.

Deirdre

Old August 1st 03, 06:53 AM
Jewitch

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 03:40:13 GMT, Deirdre S.
wrote:

Having said that, I also admit to liking the satiny texture of pewter
in some things

actually I LOVE pewter and prefer it as a metal. Unfortunately, I
can't always find designs I like, and people would rather pay for
sterling when they are paying me. And I'm becoming very fond of
gunmetal when I do wirework.

Jewitch
Old August 1st 03, 03:12 PM
Karen_AZ

Green Girl Studios
http://www.greengirlstudios.com/home/index.html

Yes!!!!!!! Cynthia is absolutely awesome. I've adopted a few of her beads
at several shows and love 'em!

Old August 1st 03, 05:04 PM
Lisa

Karen:

Let us know if you can make the transition to copper...it's my fave!!!

I'll line up to buy your stuff...really.

Lisa
"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
Having said that, I also admit to liking the satiny texture of pewter

in some things, and find that quality of medium perfectly adequate to
many purposes. And I like copper *a lot* because of its soft, warm
overtones. I would take good, interestingly designed copper over some
kinds of ho-hum Standard Brands Bali.

I LOOOOOOOVE copper! I'm planning to take a course in granulation this

fall
(in silver) and I'm fervently hoping I can convert what I learn into

copper,
to make some large-scale Bali-esque beads.

I grabbed a bag of ornate "copper" beads someplace several months ago, and
was disappointed to discover that they were plastic with a metallic

coating.
If I had half a clue what I was doing I'd make molds have have them cast,
they're so cool. sigh