An alternative to ho-hum ribbing

Old January 2nd 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default An alternative to ho-hum ribbing

While I worked on the body of my Circumnavigated cardi I thought about
ribbing options. The pattern as written calls for 2x2 rib, IIRC, but
that is boring. Very boring. So I used this instead:

Flat ribbing, on a multiple of three: k2p1 on both sides.
To make this rib in the round: on a multiple of three alternate these
two rounds: k2p1, k1p2.

The colum of seed stitch gives the rib a fancy appearance but you'll
know you didn't do anything tricky. This ribbing is reversible, being
essentially identical on both sides. When made flat the two ends
aren't identical to each other, but if anybody is close enough to see
that...

I like this ribbing well enough that I will probably be using it a lot
on sweaters. I can also envision a t-shirt style sweater made using
this as the all-over pattern for the fabric - no waist shaping
required. I made a scarf in this rib using handspun a couple of years
back; the recipient praises it on every cold day, claims lake winds
can't touch her through two layers

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old January 2nd 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Wooly" skrev i melding
While I worked on the body of my Circumnavigated cardi I thought about
ribbing options. The pattern as written calls for 2x2 rib, IIRC, but
that is boring. Very boring. So I used this instead:

Flat ribbing, on a multiple of three: k2p1 on both sides.
To make this rib in the round: on a multiple of three alternate these
two rounds: k2p1, k1p2.

The colum of seed stitch gives the rib a fancy appearance but you'll
know you didn't do anything tricky. This ribbing is reversible, being
essentially identical on both sides. When made flat the two ends
aren't identical to each other, but if anybody is close enough to see
that...

Wooly, I see what you mean!
much more interesting to do!
And more interesting result.

**************
On DD's sweater for Christmas, I used this ribbing:
K2 -then 3moss stch.

1.round: K2, P1 K1 P1.
2. round: K2, K1 P1 K1( or K3 P1*K5 P1* K1, to say how it really works)

This was done in very thick yarn (You call it Worsted???)
the result was nice, and the knitting went much faster ....I "think"..
May be imagination, but it is much more funny to do.

Aud ;-))

Old January 3rd 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Aud wrote:
"Wooly" skrev i melding

[...]

I'm halfway through a scarf with an easy `twin rib' pattern. CO multiple
of 6, first row - K3, P3, repeat. Next row - K1, P1, repeat. It's not as
stretchy as a 2x2 rib, but has some give to it.

sue
Old January 3rd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you wooly i sampled this and it is wonderful !! would you mind
if i pass it on to my friend Haya for her knit & nosh group ?
mirjam

Old January 3rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Wooly" skrev i melding
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:11:40 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) spewed forth :

Spread the word - I'm sure I'm merely the latest in a long line of
knitters to use it...

+++++++++++++

I have made a "document" where I gather these,
what shall I say: "Well-tried-by-knitting experts-pattern"
These small advices and hints are really much worth!!!
Thank you!
AUD ;-)

Old January 4th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you Wooly ,,,, the ladies will love it !!!
while strangely enough i know a woman who knits for selling her items
and she is the only person who doesn`t want to get any sort of advice
, idea or new learned `whatever` i try to share with her,,,,, ???? She
knits mostly baby items ,,, she is still in the mode of Finnishing off
every part than sews the finnished edges together, i have years ago
learned not to finish off and than resew ,, but use the stiches as are
if possible for sewing , i tried once to make her interested , just
for the fun of it ,, she got all prickily ,,,, after a second time i
stopped ,,,, But when i am in the shop ,, and people see my knits they
all comment how come my sids are so soft looking ???
ahaaa wonders of human mind
mirjam

OT humor Alternative Retirement Home Roberta Zollner Quilting 13 June 20th 05 01:10 PM
Found an alternative fabric!!!! MerryStahel Quilting 1 July 3rd 04 07:58 AM
Alternative to polyurethane spray? Tim General Crafting 2 December 30th 03 01:18 AM
Polar Fleece Ribbing Joy Hardie Sewing 7 November 15th 03 05:55 PM
Increasing in K2 P2 Ribbing Sew-Sew Lady Yarn 6 August 28th 03 04:42 PM