Lighting.

Old January 18th 04, 11:46 AM
F.James Cripwell

Default Lighting.

I posted about this some time ago. I have an overhead light where I
stitch, which is limited because of heat to four 60 watt bulbs; i.e. a
total of 240 watts equivalent of light. They are now selling "energy
saving" bulbs (fluorescents), which produce 100 watts equivalent of light,
but only about 25 watts of heat. The trouble was that the first one I
bought cost 24 dollars Canadian; so I only bought one.
Just this week, Home Depot had these on sale at 3 for 18 dollars
Canadian; one quarter the price. Now I have 400 watts equivalent of
light for only about 100 watts of heat, and it is lovely for stitching.
I wont advertise too strongly that, in cold climates like Canada, these
bulbs dont save much energy or money at all. The reason they are coming
down in price is that they are being marketed as energy savers, and people
believe it.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old January 18th 04, 03:14 PM
Jeri

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message

I posted about this some time ago. I have an overhead light
where I stitch, which is limited because of heat to four 60 watt
bulbs; i.e. a total of 240 watts equivalent of light. They are now
selling "energy saving" bulbs (fluorescents), which produce 100 watts
equivalent of light, but only about 25 watts of heat. The trouble
was that the first one I bought cost 24 dollars Canadian; so I only
bought one. Just this week, Home Depot had these on sale at 3
for 18 dollars Canadian; one quarter the price. Now I have 400
watts equivalent of light for only about 100 watts of heat, and it
is lovely for stitching. I wont advertise too strongly that, in cold
climates like Canada, these bulbs dont save much energy or money at
all. The reason they are coming down in price is that they are being
marketed as energy savers, and people believe it.

I don't see how you can say it isn't an energy savings. You're getting
almost twice as much light for almost half the watts (which is a unit of
power not heat or illuminance).
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old January 18th 04, 04:24 PM
F.James Cripwell

"Jeri" ) writes:

I don't see how you can say it isn't an energy savings. You're getting
almost twice as much light for almost half the watts (which is a unit of
power not heat or illuminance).
--
Jeri

Notice I said energy savings in a cold climate like Canada. One has
lights on, here, about 90% of the time when the weather is cold, and you
are using heat to keep the house warm. Just about all the energy from
incandescent and fluorescent lights goes into heat in about 1 microsecond;
and therefore heats the house. You may save on *electricity* as opposed
to oil or gas, (which *might* save money), but you dont save any energy to
speak of. HTH.

Old January 18th 04, 05:35 PM
Jenn Ridley

Tara D wrote:

Another downside is they take a few minutes to get bright. I've got
them in a few areas around the house, takes about 1 second to come on,
and roughly 10 minutes to reach full brightness (most noticeably in
the basement where there is no other light coming in).

They don't like cooler temperatures. The ones in my workroom take a
while to get up to full brightness in the winter. In the summer, when
it's warmer down there, they come up to full brightness sooner. We
rarely turn on the garage lights in the winter, because we've
generally found what we're looking for (by flashlight) before the
lights get bright enough to help any.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, Stretch, Halloween Circle
Most recently Finished: Santa Christmas Stocking, Will Work for Freezer Space, Turnberry Ridge
Old January 18th 04, 07:19 PM
Brenda Lewis

I tried one of those in my table lamp. It produced such an obnoxious
blue-white light I had to put a dark shade over the lamp. It certainly
was not good for stitching. That bulb is now in the lamp with the
'floppy socket' (needs solder) in the basement.

F.James Cripwell wrote:
[...]

WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 18th 04, 10:31 PM
Jenn Ridley

Brenda Lewis wrote:

I tried one of those in my table lamp. It produced such an obnoxious
blue-white light I had to put a dark shade over the lamp. It certainly
was not good for stitching.

You need to get a tri-phosphor fluorescent bulb. They are much warmer
in color. That's what we have in the lamps in the living room and
bedrooms, and they're quite nice. Not as yellow as standard
incandescents, and not as blue as standard fluorescents.

I have "warm white" bulbs in the sewing room and in the kitchen.
Alone, I find them too yellow, but we've paired them with standard
fluorescents to give a good color balance.

jenn

Old January 19th 04, 03:49 AM
Meredith

You can get bulbs with extra-heavy-duty filaments or what-have-you that
last much longer (I found mine at the grocery store). I had to get one
for the front hall a few years ago because the door slamming kept on
breaking the filament.

Meredith

Tara D wrote:
One advantage is they definitely last longer. We have one hall light
that used to blow every six months or so (frequent on and off, and
just badly placed that foot traffic caused vibrations) that has had
the same fluorescent bulb for 14 months.

Tara