Words and Confusion

Old January 21st 04, 06:07 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Ahhh, neither rant nor rave would have been appropriate words for me to
have used. Thank you for making me look that up. "Getting something
off my chest" would have been the correct choice. On RCTN, that's the
general definition of "rant".
Dianne

Paula wrote:

"And so you were free to move on. Obviously you don't understand the
words, because in polite society, that's what you would do: move on and
keep your mouth shut."

Rant: noun: A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence

Be careful what you ask for....

Paula H

Old January 22nd 04, 03:35 AM
Ruthie

My beloved Grandma told me about a wonderful hostess at a big formal
dinner. This would have been in the early 1900s. A guest had made some
kind of messy mistake with his soup, and was highly embarrassed about
it. The hostess leaned forward to ask the guest a question about what
had been discussed before the spill. As she leaned forward onto her
hand, she put her elbow in her own soup.

My Grandma used this story to illustrate that "good manners" means the
art of making people comfortable.

Ruthie in Colorado
alowan ought earthlink daught net

Old January 23rd 04, 01:03 AM
KDLark

Look up the word lecture. It's not negative.
Like in a classroom: you can listen and learn, or you can shut your
ears and daydream, or you can skip class.

You're right, Dianne, but "lecture" DOES have a connotation that's negative.
How many times have I heard a kid say "stop lecturing me!" A lot of times.
Darn seventh graders! They certainly have different ideas of what things mean.
For example, they think being a "pimp" is a GOOD thing. One kid answered a
question about an imaginery country he created by saying all the guys would be
pimps, except for him and his girlfriend -- hmmm, what would SHE be?

Katrina L.
Old January 23rd 04, 01:33 AM
Caryn

You're right, Dianne, but "lecture" DOES have a connotation that's negative.

Perhaps I should have stated that I did not appreciate being talked down to,
rather than state I didn't appreciate being lectured to.

Either way, I definately don't think I deserved to be told to "move on and keep
my mouth shut" in order to be considered part of "polite society."

It's hardly polite to tell another person to shut up now is it?

Caryn

Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old January 23rd 04, 02:40 AM
Paula Hubert-Vooght

I'm fully aware of the "general definition" both here and elsewhere. The point
is that one shouldn't expect others to stick to definitions from dictionaries
(ie the "lecture" comments) while being able to use "general definitions" in
one's own posts...

Oh, and BTW, if you didn't feel like typing out "Getting something off my
chest", you could use the word "vent" it has a very appropriate literal and
general definition...

Paula H

On RCTN, that's the
general definition of "rant".
Dianne

Old January 23rd 04, 03:18 AM
Laury Walkey

Caryn wrote:

Either way, I definately don't think I deserved to be told to "move on and keep
my mouth shut" in order to be considered part of "polite society."

You didn't.

It's hardly polite to tell another person to shut up now is it?

I think two more words should be added to the list:

1. Respectful: showing respect; polite.

2. Respect: 1. honor, esteem; 2.consideration, regard: ex: Respect the ideas
and feelings of others.*

* Source: Gage Canadian Dictionary, c1983.

Cheers,

--

Laury

Old January 23rd 04, 08:11 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

At the risk of boring everyone else to death:
1. I didn't post it to "lecture" to anyone. I posted it because I
thought it was pertinent to a discussion that had been going on. It was
a "learning" experience, and I pointed out that I learned as well from
looking these things up.

2. I resented your huffy little comments and suggested at least three
options to you (or anyone else), one of which was to simply ignore it.

Now, I've said all I'm going to say on this subject. My post was not
meant as a personal slam against any one or group of persons. It WAS,
however, meant to get people thinking. When I hear remarks such as, "I
don't want morals and ethics taught to my children in school!", I get
squeamish. It makes me think people are confused. Obviously, from the
response to my post, they are.

Dianne

Old January 23rd 04, 09:02 PM
Caryn

2. I resented your huffy little comments and suggested at least three
options to you (or anyone else), one of which was to simply ignore it.

Huffy....interesting.....

You thought you needed to educate all of us with defintions of words....a long
long long list of definitions. Too long to expect anybody to actually read or
gain anything from.

And when I, and others, sought to point out the blatant hypocrisy of your
posts, you told me to shut up.

Now, I've said all I'm going to say on this subject. My post was not
meant as a personal slam against any one or group of persons. It WAS,
however, meant to get people thinking.

We did think, we thought you were talking down to us, and telling us how to
behave, and then not following your own words of wisdom.

You forget we all do think for ourselves, and have the right to comment in any
way we see fit, just as you do. In turn, no one person has the right to tell
anybody here to keep their mouths shut.

If you don't like the reaction you got, perhaps you should think about this
next time you decide to "get us thinking".