solder prices, etc.

Old May 26th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default solder prices, etc.

Obtaining the right solder over here in Turkey has been an 'issue' for
me right from the start.
It was recommended that I purchase a brand I haven't heard of befo
Feray...
I'm assuming it's locally produced for the glass trade...I was told
that almost everyone working with stained glass here uses this brand.
It's either 60/40 or 63/37..I'm not sure...I'll know later today when
it arrives!

I ordered the most economical amount...3 kg for about $50. Sure beats
the heck out of the imported stuff for almost $10 for a one pound roll!

What I need help with actually is an estimate of how much solder on
average would be used on a square foot of stained glass. Has anyone
ever computed their usage this way...is there another way to gauge how
much solder is used per square foot?

I'm asking this because my first project is more or less a 'gift' to my
village....they have offered to pay for the materials, but i'm giving
them my time gratis as a way of thanking them for their hospitality and
kindnesses since i came to this village.

I'd like to know what you 'experts' think about how much solder needs
to be ordered. I can figure out the glass easy enough...but I am
stumped about the solder.

Thanks again,

Arlene

Old May 26th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It is much simpler to "bulk" your supplies/materials into a per sq ft cost
all together.
If you are using rather common domestic glass, the lower end of the cost
scale, then you might estimate your lead, solder, glass, pattern material,
glass cleaner, flux, flux brush, cement/grout/putty, foil (if that's your
method), etc, etc, etc, then figure $15/ sq ft., for better glass, push it
up a tad, for the best glass, push it up some more. Unless you are doing
only one pattern, using the same amount of all materials every time, there
is no way to figure out how much solder you use per sq ft., and it would be
foolish to try. Weigh the roll when you start a project and weigh it when
you are done? Nah, too much foolishness, and wasted time.

If the piece is a gift to the village, then make it truly a gift and don't
worry about material cost, that will be very minor compared to labor. Are
you going to build a 3 or 4 hundred dollar panel and then tell them they owe
you $20? Nah, give it up and you will get it back a hundred times. Do that
piece because you love it, the material cost won't even be noticed.

Just my thoughts....

Old May 26th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

It's impossible to estimate how much solder is used per square foot of
panel because how much solder is used depends on the length and width
of the soldered beads rather than the size of the panel. If it's any
help, we've done a lot of small castings with solder and calculated
that a 1 lb. roll of .125 solder has an average 21 ft. of solder wire.
From that, I'd guess that a roll of solder would provide approximately

20 ft of bead for 7/32" foil - less for wider foil and more for
thinner.

Dennis Brady

DeBrady Glass - http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass - http://www.victorianartglass.biz