Halloween Fun (ON topic!)

Old November 1st 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Halloween Fun (ON topic!)

During the time frame for trick or treaters, I don't
care to be 'up and down' and 'back and forth' all
evening. So, no t.v., nor reading, nor sewing (SM is
upstairs anyhow!) Instead, I set up a cutting station
on the kitchen island, and I cut fabric. This is a
straight shot to the front door, so I don't miss any of
the little ghosts and goblins, and it is very close to
the chocolate supply! This evening I got the pieces cut
for steps one and two for the guild's Winter Mystery.
I'm using a Mary Englebrite teapot print for the focal
fabric. Tomorrow I will stitch them, and will get step
three next week. This will be a nice table runner or
topper I think.
PAT in VA/USA
Old November 1st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Here in the Swamp, there are no Trick or Treaters. Well . . . we guess
there weren't any. Polly

Old November 1st 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

sounds like the gators got all the treats then. )
we didnt get a soul here, dead or alive.
jeanne

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old November 1st 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Meandering

On Oct 31, 11:25 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:
During the time frame for trick or treaters, I don't
care to be 'up and down' and 'back and forth' all
evening. So, no t.v., nor reading, nor sewing (SM is
upstairs anyhow!) Instead, I set up a cutting station
on the kitchen island, and I cut fabric. This is a
straight shot to the front door, so I don't miss any of
the little ghosts and goblins, and it is very close to
the chocolate supply! This evening I got the pieces cut
for steps one and two for the guild's Winter Mystery.
I'm using a Mary Englebrite teapot print for the focal
fabric. Tomorrow I will stitch them, and will get step
three next week. This will be a nice table runner or
topper I think.
PAT in VA/USA

We don't have trick-r-treaters here either. Not sure why since we are
only 1 mile outside town limits. We always make sure we have candy.
DH pick up a couple of bags this year, of course, nothing I
like........no dark chocolate. I really don't think little ghosts and
goblins like dark chocolate. Wouldn't it be a better idea to buy dark
chocolate and then when no one shows up it won't go to waste????

=)

Marsha

Old November 1st 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 07:52:34 -0500, Meandering wrote
(in article . com):

[...]

We don't get them either. And we live in town.

Well I'll take some treats into to work for my friends kids today.

Maureen

Old November 1st 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:12:55 -0500, Maureen Wozniak
wrote:

[...]

Some years are like that. This year we got some 40 or 50 odd, even
though we were the only house on our block with the light on, plus
serious decorations and spooky music. DH actually found some Groovy
Ghoulies (remember them from Saturday morning?) tunes to play.

Our Ash went out as Raistlan Majere (sans freaky eyeballs), and had
just about the best time he's ever had on Halloween. Usually he wants
to come home after twenty minutes or half an hour. This year he was
happy to stay out for the full two hours and had much joy out of being
allowed to go right on up to people's houses. Only one person was a
little grumpy with him for not saying Trick or Treat, but being as
they asked "Doesn't he talk?" that was straightened out right quick.
His solemn "tahn koo" (thank you) just about melted a few people.
Being as he wanted to do the whole night at a dead run (thank all the
deities that I thought to wear commando soles instead of heels!) he
went to sleep about two minutes after we got home. Which worked out
for me as I had a "Funeral for the Castro" party to attend.

NightMist
slightly hung over
--

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the
majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with
Old November 1st 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

You clever, industrious woman, you, Pat!

I sat in the front room, closer to the front door, reading
a magazine & talking to the kids & their parents.
I love trick-or-treat time. We have peaceful Halloweens here.
It's fun to see the kids growing up, even the very tall ones.
I suggested those big guys put wheels on their pillowcase/candy-bag
next year, making it easier to haul around. *snicker*
Later, when traffic had slowed I drove around the neighborhood to
see the decorations; some of the neighbors really put on a show,
blow-up haunted house, haunted house leading to front door,
haunted house inside front entry, ...our house just looks
a little haunted; I don't invite the kids to come in.
Did give away almost all the candy, with just a few Hot Tamales
and some M&Ms left---great combination. ;-
After that it was quilting 'til midnight.

Happy All Souls Day, quilters, El Dia de los Muertos.

R/Sandy--who thinks the Spanish "El" is a bit confused but that's
the traditional name...

Old November 1st 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sandy:
Your evening sounds lovely too. I was pleased to see
that most of the costumes were home made, or made with
the use of just a few bought accessories. So much more
fun than those out of the box outfits, IMO.
In our tradition, November 1 is All Saints Day ...
including ME, according to the pastor .... and November
2 is All Souls Day. Just a little factoid to digest
along with the chocolate.
So, are you heading down to Houston this year, Miss Mop?

PAT in VA/USA

Old November 1st 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

"Meandering" wrote in message
ups.com... We don't have
trick-r-treaters here either. Not sure why since we are
only 1 mile outside town limits. We always make sure we have candy.
DH pick up a couple of bags this year, of course, nothing I
like........no dark chocolate. I really don't think little ghosts and
goblins like dark chocolate. Wouldn't it be a better idea to buy dark
chocolate and then when no one shows up it won't go to waste????

=)

Marsha

Hoo-boy! Not only do we get the local kids, but our subdivision imports'em,
too! We had steady customers for about 3 hours last night! We went through
about 6 big bags of candy (with about 1 bag of candy leftover).

But then, hubby always goes above and beyond each year with the decorations
and such ... this year, he was "The (original) Fly" - complete with creepy
paper mache fly head, claw and lab coat. People come oto our neighborhood
knowing that there's a house that goes looney at Halloweenie ... next year,
we're doin' a full-fledged Haunted House.
*sigh*
Might as well get stock in Home Depot now and see if we can get some return
on the $$ ...

---
Connie

Old November 1st 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

I can sympathize with Connie! i answer the door at my mother's (where
i grew up, about 5 miles from my house) and she lives in a
developement. we get kids from the neighboring cities and towns, i
think we went thru 9 or 10 bags of candy, about 50-60 kids. Phew! ( i
just take out the screen from the front door and lean out to them!) i
didnt sit down for almost 4 hours! but it was such fun! especially the
wee ones that come early. we even had a few dogs dressed up and a
horse!(he had a set of reindeer antlers on and a red cape...yep a real
pony)
i always give the little ones the "good stuff". the older kids or ones
who make no effort to dress up or say "trick or treat" get the cheap
stuff. and i ALWAYS make the big kids say T/T very loudly!!!
Hahahahaha! they hate that!

i'm so evil.....mwaaahahahaha

amy in CNY