Batting Question?

Old July 9th 04, 04:50 AM
muse9

Thanks Christina for your help. I don't think I will use wool for this doll
quilt but I will definitely consider it for another one later. If you use
wool batting then is the quilt still washable? (sorry if this is a dumb
question, but I am still learning)

Bonnie

NoMoreSpam wrote:

hobbs wool... It is my favorite.

Christina

Old July 9th 04, 07:39 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL - no worries Bonnie! I've just today finished hand quilting a baby
quilt using cotton batting and I really find it so easy to use.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

"muse9" wrote in message
Oops! Don't want to get anyone mad! ; ) I do get a very strong

impression
that most experienced quilters use the cotton batting!

Thanks for your help and comments Sharon! I do appreciate hearing how
others quilt - this is how I am learning.

Bonnie

Sharon Harper wrote:

No offence but - corkscrews! Cotton batting is just as easy to get

through
as the pretend polyester! LOL. Geeze are you guys trying to get me mad
before I really wake up?! LOL

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)

Old July 9th 04, 12:35 PM
frood

Figures. You swoop in for one tiny post, and it's about Hobbs wool! G

Bonnie, Christina spoke so highly of Hobbs wool that I had to try it myself.
I've made 2 quilts with it so far, and will do more. It is washable, but
perhaps not the best choice for a drag-around doll quilt! I've used the
cotton Warm & Natural batting for quiilts for my kids. There was almost no
shrinkage when washed. I made 3 I Spy quilts almost 4 years ago, and they
get washed frequently. The batting is as nice as when they were new.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"NoMoreSpam" wrote in message
hobbs wool... It is my favorite.

Christina

muse9 wrote:
I am finally making good progress on my very first quilt top! I am

using a
9 patch pattern from an Alex Anderson beginner quilting book. The

piecing
is going well; I'm learning a lot and loving it!!! In fact I find I

have to
stay away from my sewing room unless I know I have the time to sew

because
it seems to magnetically pull me in and keep me for hours at a time!

This pattern is for a 30x30 wall hanging but I am making it for a large

doll
quilt/lap quilt for my DGD. As I get closer to finishing the piecing I

know
I need to think about the batting I will use for this quilt. I've read

so
many conflicting opinions on cotton versus poly or cotton and poly

blends.
I'm sure this question has come up many time before but I am still

fairly
new here and could really use some opinions.

Since this is a doll quilt for a child it will get somewhat rough usage

and
will need to be washed occasionally. I read on the bag that cotton

batting
will shrink - is this a big problem? I also read that if you use cotton
batting you have to quilt fairly close together and since I'm totally

new at
this and don't have much faith in my quilting abilities this concerns

me.
Does one batting hold up better than another? I will be machine

quilting so
is one better than the other for that?

This small quilt is my first "training quilt". I got mentally hooked on
quilting several months ago and have been soaking up whatever

information I
could on the subject. Some of the best information I've received has

been
right here with all of you!

I would greatly appreciate any hints or help regarding batting! Thank

you
all so much!

Bonnie

Old July 9th 04, 09:09 PM
C & S

Bonnie,

Everyone gave such good advice. As for me it's a question of keeping the
quilt as natural as possible - 100% natural fibers. I use W&N for MQ. I
will admit that I'm so impressed with the outcome that I tend to stick with
it. Another brand that I've used and liked the result was dream cotton
(select for a summer quilt).

Good luck with your choice.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"muse9" wrote in message
[...]

delete "removespam" to reply

Old July 10th 04, 12:17 AM
muse9

frood wrote:

Figures. You swoop in for one tiny post, and it's about Hobbs wool! G

Bonnie, Christina spoke so highly of Hobbs wool that I had to try it

myself.
I've made 2 quilts with it so far, and will do more. It is washable, but
perhaps not the best choice for a drag-around doll quilt! I've used the
cotton Warm & Natural batting for quiilts for my kids. There was almost no
shrinkage when washed. I made 3 I Spy quilts almost 4 years ago, and they
get washed frequently. The batting is as nice as when they were new.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Thanks Wendy! Everyone has spoken so highly of Hobbs batting - it must be
good! Thanks for your help and suggestions. I can't wait to get started on
the I Spy quilts but I gotta get this first quilt finished first!

Bonnie

Old July 10th 04, 12:19 AM
muse9

Thank you Carol for sharing your experience. Other than Hobbs there have
been several others mention Warm & Natural. I think I will be sticking to
cotton - it seems everyone has good luck with that and I do agree with you
about keeping the quilt natural.

Bonnie

Old July 10th 04, 02:00 AM
NoMoreSpam

Well Plllbbbhhhh PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP I have! made doll quilts out of my
scraps. So there. sheesh. :-) I'd pop in more but my son John (who
is handicapped) has been keeping us very busy this year. I miss ya'll!
I also like quilters dream cotton, and the hobbs heirloom cotton
batting. All are holding up to my busy family! but... the wool is
truely my loveliest batting

Christina

Old July 12th 04, 04:19 PM
Dr.Quilter

as far as I am concerned, there aren't many opposing opinions about cotton,
poly, etc. I think almost everybody likes cotton better, maybe with a tad of
poly, but most of us stay away from the awful all poly stuff. I do not
prewash, but I like the wrinkled look.... I buy Warm and Natural and Hobbs
but I've used other battings I liked better, too bad I have no idea what
their name was...

Old July 12th 04, 04:28 PM
Dr.Quilter

a doll quilt? how big is it? if it is small enough, maybe some of us can
send you leftovers of different battings so you can compare? or even a 10"
square so you can make some potholders or coasters and test them....

I can provide W&N since it is the only one I recognize. That is, I've used
hobbs and many other brands, I am sure, but since the remnants are all in a
bag I don't know which is which.

I once bough the softest most beautiful batting ever. it was kind of easy to
disassemble though, if you pulled too much. no idea what brand it was and I
cannot find it again...

.com...

Old July 12th 04, 05:59 PM
Sudrlg

Hi Marissa

re cotton vs poly batt. I use both - depending on what look I want. Sometimes
I prefer fluffier, sometimes flatter, for kid quilts I only use cotton. I know
you said
"most" but I think lots of folks use poly batting and get good results. Hobbs
and Quilters Dream - both known for good quality batting - manufacture poly and
cotton.
I am not a machine quilter, but I can see how it would be easier to use cotton
for that technique. For hand quilting, I am happy with either - poly being
slightly easier to use. I don't consider it "awful" at all. I usually use
Hobbs 80/20 for cotton and Fairfield for poly - mostly because they are easiest
to come by in my area, and I have never had a problem with either.
I know poly can beard - but thankfully I have never had that problem. I am not
sure if the bearding is because of a quality of the batt or the fabric - or
both. Anyone have info on that?
Hope you don't see this as argumentative - just an opinion, and a question.

Deena - in Philly

Wool Batting Question! Dannielle Quilting 11 July 10th 04 07:33 PM
Question on Silk Batting Threaded Quilting 4 July 6th 04 09:29 PM
size fo batting question Ann Quilting 2 April 14th 04 05:20 PM
Sturdiest batting CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 12 December 22nd 03 12:12 AM
Batting Question Sindir Quilting 4 November 22nd 03 04:36 AM