size fo batting question

Old April 13th 04, 07:10 AM
Ann

Default size fo batting question

I have a batting question

I bought some warm and natural batting off the bolt. I did a quick
measurement of it's width.....94"
My quilt top is 93" square. I cut the length of batting a couple inches
excess top and bottom each

I laid out the quilt top with batting on top for a quick trial run. I would
guess once I get down to smoothing and pin basting I _might_ have 1" excess
on each side. Is this enough? If I smooth all layers and pin baste really
really well.......will I be able to not run out of batting?

This quilt was much simpler until I decided to make it this big. When I
started the top we only had a double bed. I added another row of blocks,
plus a third narrow border, when I decided it should fit our newly-acquired
king size bed. I don't have big enough floor space to fully tape the
backing down to pin baste........unless of course I move the fridge and
stove out of the kitchen.............DH would notice the fridge missing
though LOL.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

Old April 13th 04, 01:46 PM
Julia Altshuler

Ask yourself which would be easier, sewing on an extra strip of batting
now before the whole thing is layered or unpinning and unsewing in case
you run out of batting later and don't have enough to fill out the
edges. Cutting off 8" off batting from one end of the bolt and sewing
it on the other edge isn't too messy or time consuming a step. Do mark
which end you're sewing on to so you don't make the mistake I've made of
cutting off one end and then sewing it back to the same end.

I wouldn't attempt basting a quilt that large even if I had the floor
space. That's awfully hard on your knees and back, and if you want to
rest them for a few hours or overnight, you have to step around the
quilt. Instead, do whatever you need to to borrow table space at a
fabric store or library or office.

--Lia

Old April 14th 04, 05:20 PM
Dr. Quilter

depends. if you are young (relatively) and healthy it is not a big deal.
I've done it with DH's help, even when I was about to give birth... of
course, it was a baby quilt. And I have a quilting 'studio' downstairs
where I can leave things on the floor for a long time if I want to...
very little traffic in that area of the house.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Singer Needle Size Question M. Wetmore Quilting 1 December 26th 03 06:09 PM
Sturdiest batting CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 12 December 22nd 03 12:12 AM
Batting Question Sindir Quilting 4 November 22nd 03 04:36 AM
Batting Scraps Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 13 October 11th 03 04:50 PM
question regarding bead hole size V Eckhardt Beads 4 October 5th 03 09:39 PM