sewing machine question

Old December 12th 05, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default sewing machine question

Welcome Maria. It's good to have you on board.
..
In message .com,
Maria O writes
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a few days just to get a sense of the group,
and finally feel I can jump in here. I have been hand quilting for 20
years or so, and finally screwed up my courage to try machine quilting.
I had sandwiched a piece and basted it on about a 4 inch grid, and I'd
been looking at it for weeks, waiting for inspiration. I didn't have
too much emotion invested in it -- it had a high loft batting -- so I
put it on one of my old (1954) Necchis and had at it. Plain grid
quilting took maybe two hours instead of weeks to do and I'm SO happy
to have finished a UFO. It's a large nap size, maybe 54 x 74, and the
machine has a smallish harp, so I'm pretty happy with my first effort.

If you want to see what can be done with a vintage machine, check out
Damascus Annie's pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/damascusannie
She does the *most* fabulous quilting on "people-powered" machines.
The albums of her quilting studio and her quilting motifs are
wonderful: she is my quilting idol!

A couple of old Singer men on another list I read say that timing
seldom goes out, and usually something simple is the cause of problems.
Of course, they were writing about the OLD Singers and other machines
of that vintage.

Oh, and I'm 50-something, widowed, two DDs, one DGS, a cat and a dog.

Maria in NE PA, with 13" of snow on the ground

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 13th 05, 12:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome - what kind of chocolate do you prefer?

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Maria O" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Kate T. wrote:
First thing, take your SM to a repairman for a tuneup. It could be out
of time. This would get your machine back in working order for your
regular sewing and piecing of quilt tops.

For machine quilting.. are you going to make king size quilts or just
wall hangings. For something small like WH or baby quilts up to lap
quilts your home SM will work fine....

FAQ for RCTQ frood Quilting 9 April 5th 05 07:50 PM
Sewing machine doctoring & question Debra Quilting 2 June 19th 04 05:13 PM
RCTQ FAQs *where did the month go?* Diana Curtis Quilting 20 May 3rd 04 04:09 AM
Sewing machine feet for trade, Singer and others. Dr. Landerstein Marketplace 0 March 21st 04 04:52 PM