Minkee Question

Old February 17th 05, 03:47 PM

Default Minkee Question

I'm using minkee as a backing for my DH's oversized lap quilt. I'm not
using batting. How the heck do you this?

Thanks.

Barb C. in FL

Old February 17th 05, 04:31 PM
Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables

wrote in message
I'm using minkee as a backing for my DH's oversized lap quilt. I'm not
using batting. How the heck do you this?

Thanks.

Barb C. in FL

What IS minkee? I know it is a fabric but is it like ultra-suede or
something?

Giselle (who never sees a quilt store anymore )

Old February 17th 05, 05:12 PM

What IS minkee? I know it is a fabric but is it like ultra-suede or
something?

Giselle (who never sees a quilt store anymore )

It's more like a soft velour.
Bonnie
NJ

Old February 17th 05, 11:29 PM

Minkee is so soft, it feels like a soft volour. My problem is: if I
machine quilt it, won't the fabric shed into my machine? I think hand
quilting would be hard for the needle to go through. Plus I really want to
just this quilt done and over with. The top is a flying geese and turned
out pretty well. I hate to ruin it.

Barb C. FL

Old February 18th 05, 12:47 AM
Polly Esther

The UFOs are finally under control here and I have some Minkee ordered. I've
been watching the Minkee posts carefully and saw one idea that really
grabbed me. Someone suggesting running a strip of masking tape beside ( but
Not on your stitching line). I think I'm talking about birthing or binding
but don't know. That's supposed to keep it from stretching or rippling.
Haven't tried it yet but I like it. Polly

news

Old February 18th 05, 01:43 AM
Michelle in NJ

I used minkee for the back of my quilt... it's a little slippery through the
machine but it quilted fine and if you match the color thread you won't be
able to see the thread at all.. just a line that it was quilted there...
someone suggested to me to use tissue paper under the minkee but i found
that that just makes a mess.. you just have to go slow and steady so it
doesnt' slip....

Also when I did mine i used those quilting safety pins inside every square
of my grid pattern before i quilted it so it wouldn't move much...

Old February 18th 05, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info. I did pin the whole thing already, but after pinning,
I didn't know what to do with it. I even thought of taking the easy way out
and tying it.

Barb C. in FL

wrote in message
I'm using minkee as a backing for my DH's oversized lap quilt. I'm not
using batting. How the heck do you this?

Thanks.

Barb C. in FL

Question about Minkee and backing... Michelle in NJ Quilting 8 February 15th 05 01:43 AM
Question about Minkee Quilting 11 December 17th 04 01:20 AM
New Minkee, Kaufman, Minkee Kits; Free US Shipping continues at The Virginia Quilter The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 July 16th 04 04:00 PM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Question about count Amberinauburn Needlework 22 April 21st 04 12:09 AM