Ethical question about quilt shows

Old October 23rd 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

Marcella, the challenge of keeping us on topic has been compared to herding
cats. Actually, herding cats would be heaps easier assuming, of course,
that you have a nice can of tuna and the sweet music of an electric can
opener. Polly

"Marcella Peek" wrote There seems to be some confusion here (at least for
me)

Sunny wrote that the quilt in question won VIEWERS CHOICE. So, why all
the discussion about categories, and judges and such? It was the quilt
the people attending the quilt show liked the best.

If the show allows kit quilts to be hung then of course it would be hung
and eligible for the attendees to choose it as their favorite.

Old October 23rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Is it a kit? Maybe. Sometimes. Or not.
Who can tell for sure?

When I worked at the lqs customers often came in w/ a picture of a quilt
and they wanted THAT fabric w/ THAT pattern, exactly, please!
One woman was a recently-retired algebra teacher who fell in love w/
Watercolor Quilts. She came in w/ the Magaret & Slusser book of that name.
She wanted her quilt to look exactly like the pic in the book, or as
close as possible. She made an exact replica. Then she brought her
sister into the shop, they got more of the same fabric, made an identical
quilt. Then came her daughter and best friend, they had to have the
same stuff. By now my boss was rolling her eyes ("no imagination,
copy-copy-copy") and her partner said, "It's okay; we'll run out of the
fabric pretty soon and Sandy can stop cutting the same ol' things!" ;-D
They all had the SAME quilt in the SAME fabric w/ the SAME pattern.
They were all happy with it. The algebra teacher entered hers in the
guild show & got a ribbon; no one protested: she made it herself!

What inspires the shops to offer kits? A popular pattern or a new line
of fabric or the shop's owners/designers/teachers who say, "Wouldn't
this be great to share?" Cutting up the fabric & "kitting it" ahead
of time saves lots more time and the effort of hunting down the bolts
of fabric every time someone else wants That Quilt.

Regarding Sally's question about identical quilts: judges decide.
I was in a small group one year in which most of the other quilters
exchanged sampler blocks, all made from the same fabric: Paula made 12 of
block 1, Arlene did 12 of block 2, etc.; they all had identical blocks,
but some made prettier quilts, some Finished, & 2 of them won ribbons
at the guild show. Then they started on their Dear Jane Swap, about the
time I bowed out; swapping identical blocks was not my reason to be there.
I have sometimes bought a kit to get the fabric inside, but I have never
reproduced another quilters exact quilt; just not interested. But I have
been to several quilt shows where it was obvious that the quilters either
bought the same kit, went shopping together, or took the same quilt class.
g And I'm okay with that. They still put out the effort to make it
themselves.

Give credit where due.

R/Sandy

On 10/23/07 10:05 AM, in article , "Sally
Swindells" wrote:

What if two people entered identical quilts!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

MB wrote:
Did the judges know that it came from a kit? I once saw a quilt made from
a kit
in a show and people were raving about it too. Scads of fabrics and it was
lovely.
It did win a prize but I didn't see anything on it that said it was from a
kit---and
I knew that it was because I had bought the same kit then returned it when
I knew I just
couldn't do that much hand applique !! Mary/VT

snipped:
"Sunny"
I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

Old October 23rd 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Herding cats (ON topic - was Ethical question about quilt shows)

So you're saying Marcella needs a nice box of chocolate and the sweet music
of it being opened, and she'll have no trouble keeping us in line?

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old October 24th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I wasn't thinking people were getting off topic. I was thinking people
were confused and thinking that a real live accredited quilt judge was
unknowingly giving ribbons to a kit quilt. Different thing entirely.

marcella
are you thinking I always stay on topic? :-)

Old October 24th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Ok, I didn't mean my original question as an indictment of kits or
making a quilt from a kit. I have enjoyed thetwo small kits I've been
given (each made a block or so). I also was given at one time a
marvelous kit and discovered that none of the pieces were cut
properly. It was just about impossible to put those little suckers
together.

Kits are fine.

I like kits. I like quilters who like quilts.

My question just had to do with kit quilts in open competition shows.

And I think my question has been answered, repeatedly and in many
different ways.

Thank you.

As for herding cats..... when do we start? BEG

Sunny

Old October 24th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:28:17 -0500, Julia in MN
wrote:

I think it depends on the rules of the show. Our local show is not a
judged show, so rules are probably more lax than in a judged show and I
would find a quilt from a kit to be more acceptable. It seems like the
"kit-builder" should be given some credit. Of course, you could end up
with quite a list of credits: "Pattern designed by A, fabrics selected
by B, piecing and/or applique done by C, quilted by D".

That is exactly how the list of credits should be written on the quilt
ID card at shows. It should also mention the specific name of the
purchased pattern(s) used and if any additions or modifications were
made to the patterns. If it is an original pattern it should list
that.

I'm not a big
fan of kits, because I like the challenge of selecting fabrics to make a
pattern my own; for me part of the process is making something that is
not exactly like someone else's.

Julia in MN

I'm not likely to ever buy a quilt kit myself for those same reasons.
Even when I use a pattern, I change things a little.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 24th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Wow! I didn't know that. Guess I'm back to being "not a real quilter"
again.

I am paralyzed by fabric choices. I am color-challenged when it comes to
more than 3 fabrics. If I had to wait till I made a decision, I'd never sew
a stitch. And the sewing is the favorite part for me. But I do make sure
people know that my little quilt sometimes come from kits. I also use
coordinated charm squares for many of my mini's. Would that be considered
cheating as well? What about the kits that are made up of particular fabric
lines. I see lots of quilts made from only Moda or RJR collections.

I just don't get when I will be considered a real quilter. Maybe if I hand
dye the fabric I've woven on a loom, made up a brand new pattern, hand
pieced and hand quilted the thing, that will be good enough.

Cindy

"Lenore L" wrote in message
. ..

Most of us view kits as nice but a sort of "cheater quilt." I do think it
is unfair for the competition who has to pick their own fabrics. I
certainly think he/she should admit that it is a kit so the judges can
take that into accout.

"Sunny" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny

Old October 24th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Cindy, I never, ever meant to imply that anybody, regardless of
whether or not they sewed kits, was a "real" quilter or not. I am in
awe of the quilt that won the ribbons at our show. There is no way in
heck that I could have put it together. The thing is technically as
close to perfect as I expect to see. She did a magnificant job.

I think kits are a great way to sew. As for the coordinated charm
packs, I'm definitely an addict.

You are as real a quilter as can be found anywhere. And nobody should
be saying or implying otherwise.

The question was only if those entering competition should indicate
that the entry was from a kit. In our show, the quilter gets separate
billing every time.

Now, if I ever get rich, rich, rich, I will hire someone with intense
skills to come to my house, take my fabric, look at what I want to do
with it and t hen they will cut it for me. I am such a klutz. I bobble
and nudge and put awful things into those poor little pieces meant to
be sewn into blocks.

So, peace to all good quilters, whether ye be quilters of kits or be
quilters of non kits.......sleep well tonight under thine warm quilts.

Sunny

Old October 24th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Golly, Cindy. This question just became a whole lot more complicated than I
realized. For sure, I should have stayed out of it.
It seems to me that you are missing a lot of the joy of quilting if you
can not choose your colors and fabrics . . . but what do I know?
If someone said to me 'you can be a quilter only if you use these colors
and fabrics' there's just no telling how I would react. I 'd probably get
in a real huff. I might take their colors and fabrics and poke them up
their nose.
With that said, it just never crossed my dim old mind that there were
quilters who were color/fabric challenged meaning choosing was impossible or
difficult. Oh my, how I would love to take you shopping. I'll just bet
that I could move you from "I can't choose" to "How many can we get in your
car?". Polly (my car will hold at least a bathtub full)

Old October 24th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Sometimes I just like to sew. No thinking or fussing but just sit and
sew. Those are times for little creativity and that is ok. Most times
I try to work out of my stash. That can be a real challenge. Not
always does everything look great but it always is all mine ; )
Sometimes I like to finish old quilts that someone may have started
and not been able to finish. That sort of feels like community service
sometimes. I always have enjoyed sewing and have more time than many
folks so doing it all is ok for me. I think there is room for all of
it. I don't too much worry about shows and ribbons. I just am not
competitive.
Your being a real quilter is in your mind Cindy. Whatever you want to
make it will be. There may be talk of no quilt police but there are a
variety of quilters with different opinions. That will never change.
I have to say a day shopping with Polly would be a true joy. If I win
the lotto and she is willing I am going for it. LOL
TAria

QUILT SHOWS MoragP Quilting 25 October 12th 04 04:41 PM
question need to raise table for shows roxan Beads 16 February 20th 04 04:59 PM
Survey question about quilt shows Natalie Quilting 35 February 13th 04 05:25 PM
Ethical Question -- Connie Fox BeckiBead Beads 20 November 30th 03 03:50 AM
Ethical Question on Beads Maeven Beads 17 September 25th 03 02:51 AM