Ethical question about quilt shows

Old October 25th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

and like getting help here with picking
colours/textures/scale on fabrics,
you can also get help here on piecing, Debra.
sooooooo............what is the probs that piecing gives
you?
ask and you'll get heaps of ideas to help make that piecing
glow.
ok, i do mean from the group, not from me but who knows,
lol.
cheers,
jeanne

"Debra" wrote...
Be proud of that. I'm positively horrible at piecing.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

"teleflora"
wrote:
I'm known as a "really good piecer".
Cindy

Old October 26th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

Amen, sisters.

Goodnight Gracie..............

Amy in CNY and quilting up a storm! (oh, wait....i have to find my
cotton comb...can spin thread until the cotton is combed...)

Old October 26th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Color tips (was Ethical question about quilt shows)

One thing that can help a lot is to make a series of small things. (Why do
you think the fabric postcards are SO popular?) This gives you "permission"
to try new combinations, and if it's not perfect, so what? You don't have a
lot of time or money invested in any one project.

Another thing that works well is a trick I learned from a speaker at our
guild (and SOMEDAY I'll remember who it was! LOL). Take a print you like
from your stash. Look at it for a minute, then put it down. Now pull every
single fabric from your stash that reminds you of that print in any way.
Arrange them all in a row, and pull out the couple that jump out as "not
going". The rest WILL work together, even if you don't use the original
print.

And don't listen to that voice in your head that says "I can't". At the
paint store I encounter dozens of people every day who think the same thing.
Except for the very rare ones who are truly color blind, it's a matter of
lack of practice, not lack of ability.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"teleflora" wrote in message
Polly, I'm in my room right now trying to re-arrange all my fabric and
find room to store it. It all looks the same. It's pretty, but if I want
to make something, I have to go buy coordinating fabric.

I'm not color blind or anything, I just don't know what looks good
together. There are quilts that I just adore, but to make one myself, I'd
either have to copy it exactly or someone else gets to choose the fabric.

I'm fine with solids, it's prints that I have such a terrible time with.

And I wasn't whining about not being a quilter. I'm whining because I
can't pick fabrics.

Cindy

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Golly, Cindy. This question just became a whole lot more complicated
than I realized. For sure, I should have stayed out of it.
It seems to me that you are missing a lot of the joy of quilting if
you can not choose your colors and fabrics . . . but what do I know?
If someone said to me 'you can be a quilter only if you use these
colors and fabrics' there's just no telling how I would react. I 'd
probably get in a real huff. I might take their colors and fabrics and
poke them up their nose.
With that said, it just never crossed my dim old mind that there were
quilters who were color/fabric challenged meaning choosing was impossible
or difficult. Oh my, how I would love to take you shopping. I'll just
bet that I could move you from "I can't choose" to "How many can we get
in your car?". Polly (my car will hold at least a bathtub full)

"teleflora" wrote in message
Wow! I didn't know that. Guess I'm back to being "not a real quilter"
again.

I am paralyzed by fabric choices. I am color-challenged when it comes
to more than 3 fabrics. If I had to wait till I made a decision, I'd
never sew a stitch. And the sewing is the favorite part for me. But I
do make sure people know that my little quilt sometimes come from kits.
I also use coordinated charm squares for many of my mini's. Would that
be considered cheating as well? What about the kits that are made up of
particular fabric lines. I see lots of quilts made from only Moda or
RJR collections.

I just don't get when I will be considered a real quilter. Maybe if I
hand dye the fabric I've woven on a loom, made up a brand new pattern,
hand pieced and hand quilted the thing, that will be good enough.

Cindy

Old October 26th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:01:44 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

And I've got all the mis-matched fabric to prove it. I have tons
(literally) of beautiful fabric, to die for expensive fabric. And not one
single piece goes with any other.

Cindy

Do you think I, or most other quilters. have a co-ordinated stash?
Think again. We all have odd prints that seem to not work with
anything else. Either we inherited it or found it in a store and fell
in love with it. Someday they will go with something though.

I have a bit of a problem stash myself. I love bright large scale
novelty prints. I am good at applique, not piecing. This is a real
problem because large scale novelties are no good for applique. I've
changed may fabric shopping process to only buy fabrics that can be
used to either make uncomplicated pieced blocks with the novelties I
already have, or can be used in applique. Occasionally I still buy a
new novelty print, but the scale is usually smaller now.

I've got floral prints I inherited and haven't the slightest how I'm
going to use them, but I will. Maybe a brick, bar, or charm quilt.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 26th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:10:29 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

When I entered a small WH in my guild's show, my
'artist's statement' included the information "... a
Cindi Edgerton pattern. I added asymmetrical borders."
I did not note the specific pattern name, nor did I
list every modification. I think that would be boring
to the reader. If a person wanted more information, she
or he could contact me or Cindi. In other words, I
think credit should be given, but not chapter and
verse. JMO.
PAT in VA/USA

But Pat, I may well want that pattern name. I can't remember people
names, but pattern names are usually easy to remember so I can find
them on the web later.

I would not expect a chapter and verse list of each individual change.
Heck, I wouldn't want one either. Just a notation that part of the
quilt was different from the original pattern by the quilter's
specific desire.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 26th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Permission granted

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:20:08 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
You know what I think you need, Cindy?
I think you need permission to screw up.
Pick out 3 things from your stash that you think just might play
nice together.
Make a block. Maybe two.
Put them on your design wall for 2 or 3 days and consider them now
and then.

Well, that's just scary.

But which 3?????????

Cindy

Close your eyes, reach out, and pull one. Do that three times in
slightly different places near your stash.

Or, pick one mostly red, one mostly green, and one mostly yellow/gold.
Then next time try a different set of colors
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 26th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

When our house was first painted we had a parade of contractors brining
their WIVES in.see the color..it would look nice in our _________room. I
used Ragmop's phrase more tan once. "It's only paint"
Kid across the street complained that HE ended up painting one of the
rooms: )

Butterfly (who is not afraid of color or of using it. Don't like it...change
it)

et...

Old October 26th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default Picking fabrics..........

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:26:48 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"Pati C." wrote in message
Cindy, a couple of suggestions about picking fabrics.... you can practice
these anytime you are in a fabric/quilt shop, even if you don't buy a lot
of it. G
First, on the selvedge of many prints is a series of dots or squares with
a single color in each dot. These are all the colors used in that print.
IF you like the colors together in the print, then that is a good
indication that you like those particular colors together.

I've done that before. But I can only do it with solids, not prints.
Prints aren't just that color, they are a variety of color.

I've seen design shows where they tell you to pick a fabric that you love
and find the colors in the fabric to go with it. I pick fabrics that I love
all the time. But if I have to pick something to go with the focus fabric,
I'm pretty much lost. I don't "see" a color in an accent print. I "see"
lots of colors.

Cindy, I do too. Here is something to help, and once you have done it
a few times selecting gets easier. Try to lay out your accent print
fabric at one end of your yard. Hang it over a chair or shrub or
something. Walk to the other end of the yard and look back. What
color does the fabric seem to be now? If you hold your focus fabric
in your hand and hold it up so you can see both fabrics, does the far
away fabric look good beside the one in your hand? If the answer is
yes, add a solid or TOT that goes with both prints and you have a set
of three fabrics--two prints and a solid.

If you decide that you don't like the two prints together when they
are both close to you, it may be a problem of scale. Find one print
with larger items printed on it and another with tiny items and do the
same process as above.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 26th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

rofl, some of the folks on rctq are downright scarey at
times.
snorfle'n in the south pacific,
jeanne

"Debra" wrote...
Close your eyes, reach out, and pull one. Do that three
times in
slightly different places near your stash.
Or, pick one mostly red, one mostly green, and one mostly
yellow/gold.
Then next time try a different set of colors
Debra in VA

"teleflora" wrote:
Well, that's just scary.
But which 3?????????
Cindy

"Polly Esther" wrote...

Old October 26th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

you can do broiderie perse with large scale prints rather
nicely with a bit of play'n round.
usually done with florals but i dont see why ya couldnt do
it with other large prints.
jeanne

"Debra"wrote...

QUILT SHOWS MoragP Quilting 25 October 12th 04 04:41 PM
question need to raise table for shows roxan Beads 16 February 20th 04 04:59 PM
Survey question about quilt shows Natalie Quilting 35 February 13th 04 05:25 PM
Ethical Question -- Connie Fox BeckiBead Beads 20 November 30th 03 03:50 AM
Ethical Question on Beads Maeven Beads 17 September 25th 03 02:51 AM