Pressing mat

Old October 28th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Default Pressing mat

I want to make a pressing mat (ironing blanket) to take to classes and
retreats. My plan is to sandwich batting between 2 pieces of fabric
(probably unbleached muslin) and bind (or maybe just serge) the edges. I
have some Insul-brite that I plan to use for batting, but it just
doesn't like that will be enough protection for the surface underneath
when using a hot iron on it. I plan to put at least one thickness of
Warm'n'White batting in it, too. How much Warm'n'White do I need? If I
use more than one thickness, do I put the Insul-brite in the middle,
between the layers of Warm'n'White? I've never used the Insul-brite
before and need some guidance.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 28th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Julia in MN wrote:
I want to make a pressing mat (ironing blanket) to take to classes and
retreats. My plan is to sandwich batting between 2 pieces of fabric
(probably unbleached muslin) and bind (or maybe just serge) the edges. I
have some Insul-brite that I plan to use for batting, but it just
doesn't like that will be enough protection for the surface underneath
when using a hot iron on it. I plan to put at least one thickness of
Warm'n'White batting in it, too. How much Warm'n'White do I need? If I
use more than one thickness, do I put the Insul-brite in the middle,
between the layers of Warm'n'White? I've never used the Insul-brite
before and need some guidance.

Julia in MN

I made my mini one out of two layers of cotton batting and two of
printed curtain fabric! Works perfectly well as it is, but if you are a
bit wary, pop the layer of Insul-Bright in the middle.

I have a much bigger bought one with a removeable cover,but I won't
bother to buy another: the Insul-Bright and batting will do fine, and I
can make a much nicer cover for it!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 28th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Sharon Schamber has instructions for making a pressing board in her
piece by piece book. (Binding is ok in this book, btw) She says it
is important to have a hard and flat surface. Different than the
direction you are going but you might want to think about that.
HEr is a 22x22 piece of chipboard. She sprays adhesive and layer a
100% cotton batting . Next is a layer of fusible to the batting topped
off by cotton canvas. She staples the canvas to the back and backs with
felt or cutting board. Just an idea that might work for you.
I kind of agree with her that too squishy of a surface just doesn't get
the crisp pressing you need.
Taria

Old October 28th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I bought a cutting board at Big Lots. It has a handle on one end that I was
actually going to see if DH could cut off. Glad he couldn't because it is
perfect for carrying to class/workshops, etc.

I wanted a really hard surface so first I used plain cheap flannel. Then I
found that silvery ironing board cover material.

I 505'd the two together and cut to fit the board. I used my staple gun to
fasten it to the back of the board.

I use that board every day.

Cindy

Old October 28th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I want something that I can roll up and pack easily, but I want it thick
enough so that the heat of the iron (and maybe steam) doesn't damage the
surface beneath. I don't want something with a hard back that can't be
folded.

Julia in MN

Old October 28th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte

I've been thinking about making one too, but haven't yet. I am thinking
perhaps try using a layer of the insulbright and back it with some of that
waterproof felty stuff like the mattress pads for kids. You can get it at
JoAnns. It is a bit expensive, but you wouldn't need much. Then you would
have something that should be water and heat resistant for the underneath
surface I would think. I wouldn't use too many layers as you would have a
harder time getting a good crisp press.

I know you said you wanted one to roll up, but I have also seen a pattern
that uses the cardboard bolt thingy. You can cut it shorter if you want
then I think they layered it with a layer of batting (they may have used 2 I
don't know) and then their cover. Don't know how well it would work, but it
would be lighter than one with a board.

HTH.
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old October 29th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I think the chip board you can get now isn't like the old stuff. It
probably will do ok but unless you did it small or folded in the center
it might not travel well. From the Schamber instructions though it
seems you might be able to use fusibles for at least the cotton layers.
I would probably do a W&W layer on top and bottom of the insul brite.
Do you have any scraps you can test with?
Have you seen this:
http://www.warmcompany.com/ironensem.html
That is a nice set.

HTH, Taria

Old October 29th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

I'd put two layers for W&W, the insul-brite, and two more layers of the W&W.
An iron that pushes the steam really needs that much padding if it is to be
used on a non-ironing surface.

Old November 1st 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

How about carrying along one of those silicon pads ...
liberated from your kitchen ... to protect the table
surface.
PAT

Julia in MN wrote:

I want to make a pressing mat (ironing blanket) to take to classes
and retreats.

OT Pressing silk Judie in Penfield NY Quilting 3 June 18th 05 11:47 AM
Pressing Question Judie Sewing 2 June 17th 05 03:09 AM
a PRESSING question Jessamy Quilting 17 April 29th 05 08:20 PM
Pressing matters Marcella Tracy Peek Quilting 7 October 13th 04 11:06 AM
Pressing matters frood Quilting 15 March 30th 04 06:05 PM