*Almost* a HUG Happy Dance & a question

Old March 9th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default *Almost* a HUG Happy Dance & a question

Hi Guys,
Well, I have ***finally** gotten the {{{Quilt}}} top for Little Mike
finished and the whole thing is pin basted and ready for MQing tomorrow.
This beast is 80" square so I have my trusty bottle of ibuprofen handy
for use during the MQing process -- LOL!
The center is an 18" square block which is surrounded by 6" blocks.
Around that is a 5" border of HSTs. This is surrounded by 8" blocks
that are mostly ones from RCTQ. Next is another HST border that is 4"
WIDE. Finally, I have the remaining 8" blocks -- mostly the Stack &
Whack ones I made.
I plan on using a combination of SITD, straight line decorative
stitch, free motion and meander quilting. In thinking about this, I
have decided that it would be best to do all of the SITD & straight line
quilting first using my walking foot. Since this will all be on the
straight of grain, there won't be *any* give to accommodate creeping
fabric, hence the pressing need to use the walking foot. Once that is
all done on the entire quilt, I will put on the FM foot and do all of
the FM quilting. By my way of thinking, this is the most practical
sequence. The FM foot doesn't really hold the fabric to the machine so
there is more "give" to the fabric and if I was to do the SITD after the
FM, I could quite possible end up with those nasty little puckers on the
back!
So -- does this make sense to the other people out there who worry
about this stuff? Am I missing something or forgetting something?
Anyone have stories to tell about doing the same sort of combination
machine quilting??
Several of the guys from DH's work will be going to New Orleans next
week on Wednesday so I need to get this beast finished and ready to go
by Tuesday. I will be soooooooo happy to have it done and delivered! I
absolutely NEVER expected to take this long making the quilt but life,
the holidays and several paying jobs got in the way!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old March 10th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The plan is a very good one. The straight stitching ought to keep
everything controlled for your free-motion plans. I have a big one going
now and just found that having a plain old straight-backed chair over in
front of the SM table helps a little to support the weight. A table the
size of a football stadium would be better but the chair is a help. Don't
forget to take lots of little breaks. Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like a good plan- that's how I'd attack it. Actually, all my
large quilts are assembled in about 4 sections and quilted one section
at a time. I'm a big chicken!

Have fun and take your breaks regularly...

Old March 10th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

WTG on getting this far!!

sounds like a great plan!

and as others have said - lots of breaks - do the Butterfly way of
quilting... 10 minuets (or 15) at a time then wander off and do something
else for a short while!

--
Jessamy - Butterfly is my Guru! thanks to her I get LOTS of quilting done
In The Netherlands

Old March 11th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you.
How did you know I was having a horrid pain day? I couldn't even ride/lie
down for the trip down to see DD : ( We have a major cold front coming thru
and boy howdy that killed me this go round. Rain came in at 1 AM--hard enuf
to wake me. haven't had one this bad since last Nov.
DH thinks I overdid yesterday picking peas in the coolish weather.......he's
probably right.
GOOD NEWS ..DH doesn't have to go back for any more check-ups on his
shoulder YAY!
I will get to see DD next Sat as I'm heading down to the Ontario Quilt
Show--it's her HB on Sun so we will celebrate a day early...become a
tradition to both attend that show and have her HB lunch : )

Butterfly (much better now---first time I have been able to even sit here
today : )

Old March 11th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

(((hugs)))

I'm glad you are feeling better now the rain has happened and I will cross
all appendages that all goes well so you can go to the show :-D it's a great
tradition !

Woo HOOO for DH's shoulder! that's worth a happy dance in the rain in the
emerging tulip fields!

--
Jessamy

Old March 11th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Much better today. Spent most of yesterday just vegging out on the heating
pad, lying on teh futon--so much softer than anythign else we have in the
house right now, and watching 'taped Simply Quilt' shows. Sure glad I had
them : )

Please wait til it's done raining before you go dancing--don't need you
slipping and falling! I'll tell him you are dancing for him : ) He'll get a
kick outta that ; ).

Butterfly (Cloudy ( popcorn clouds), sunny, and 45° COLD (for me anyway) out
this AM)

Old March 11th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm glad the heating pad helped!

I have the best sofa in the world! it's almost as comfy as my pocket spring
bed!

Not to worry .. the rain has become snow so it's safe to dance now! so now I
can dance in the tulip fields in the falling snowflakes :-D

--
Jessamy - who thinks a mudbath *might* be good for the skin...

Old March 11th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Weather...... was *Almost* a HUG Happy Dance & a question

I sort of know what you mean, Butterfly. We are finally getting rain
today..... after 143 days of no precip at all. It is wonderful to hear,
but yesterday and today I am feeling like I got run over by a large
truck. wan smile here Love having the rain, but my body does not
like the weather changes.
Strange.... the north country got the first (only??) snowfall of the
season the week before spring break. But at least there is now some
snow up in the mountains, and we are getting some cleaner air.

Pati, in Phx