Ethical question about quilt shows

Old October 23rd 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny

Old October 23rd 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Sunny wrote:
I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

I've got a pile of old magazines that I've just been reading, I've read
many many articles, so I'm a bit mixed up, but I'm pretty sure one place
said that back in the 30s it was entirely normal to enter kit quilts
for shows. In the present day, it seemed that it might be ok, but very
much depends on the rules for the specific show. If it's a kit, credit
must be given to the designer of the quilt and displaying it might break
the copyright of the original designer and it should definitely be made
clear on a note by the quilt that it was a kit designed by x and made by
y. If she didn't fill that in on the application and it's just something
she happened to let slip, I agree that would be unethical. Even with the
information being clearly stated, I guess that not all viewers would
read it or take it in, but I guess that's a risk you take if you enter a
show that's entirely viewers choice, there are some traditional designs
that can be stunning as well as some that come completely from the
makers imagination, a judge should be reading the accompanying info and
applying knowledge, you can't expect that of viewers choice and some
unusual winners crop up.

Having said all that, even if it's all within the rules, I'd hope for a
better example by an LQS owner, in a similar way to how you'd expect a
fireman to not have an open fire in the woods, you expect something a
little bit more from them, whether that's fair or not!

Cheers
Anne
Old October 23rd 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Oct 22, 10:51 pm, Sunny wrote:
I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny

On one hand, it doesn't seem ethical, esp. if she didn't give credit
to whomever
*did* choose those fabrics for that particular pattern. On the other
hand, the workmanship
*is* hers, even if the fabric choices arent.
Maybe they should have a separate category for "Quilt Kits"?

Old October 23rd 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

Most of us view kits as nice but a sort of "cheater quilt." I do think it
is unfair for the competition who has to pick their own fabrics. I
certainly think he/she should admit that it is a kit so the judges can take
that into accout.

oups.com...

Old October 24th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Wow! I didn't know that. Guess I'm back to being "not a real quilter"
again.

I am paralyzed by fabric choices. I am color-challenged when it comes to
more than 3 fabrics. If I had to wait till I made a decision, I'd never sew
a stitch. And the sewing is the favorite part for me. But I do make sure
people know that my little quilt sometimes come from kits. I also use
coordinated charm squares for many of my mini's. Would that be considered
cheating as well? What about the kits that are made up of particular fabric
lines. I see lots of quilts made from only Moda or RJR collections.

I just don't get when I will be considered a real quilter. Maybe if I hand
dye the fabric I've woven on a loom, made up a brand new pattern, hand
pieced and hand quilted the thing, that will be good enough.

Cindy

"Lenore L" wrote in message
. ..

Most of us view kits as nice but a sort of "cheater quilt." I do think it
is unfair for the competition who has to pick their own fabrics. I
certainly think he/she should admit that it is a kit so the judges can
take that into accout.

oups.com...

Old October 24th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Cindy, I never, ever meant to imply that anybody, regardless of
whether or not they sewed kits, was a "real" quilter or not. I am in
awe of the quilt that won the ribbons at our show. There is no way in
heck that I could have put it together. The thing is technically as
close to perfect as I expect to see. She did a magnificant job.

I think kits are a great way to sew. As for the coordinated charm
packs, I'm definitely an addict.

You are as real a quilter as can be found anywhere. And nobody should
be saying or implying otherwise.

The question was only if those entering competition should indicate
that the entry was from a kit. In our show, the quilter gets separate
billing every time.

Now, if I ever get rich, rich, rich, I will hire someone with intense
skills to come to my house, take my fabric, look at what I want to do
with it and t hen they will cut it for me. I am such a klutz. I bobble
and nudge and put awful things into those poor little pieces meant to
be sewn into blocks.

So, peace to all good quilters, whether ye be quilters of kits or be
quilters of non kits.......sleep well tonight under thine warm quilts.

Sunny

Old October 25th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I never took offense at one single thing, Sunny. It's all in my mind,
dontcha know?

Cindy

ups.com...

Old October 24th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Golly, Cindy. This question just became a whole lot more complicated than I
realized. For sure, I should have stayed out of it.
It seems to me that you are missing a lot of the joy of quilting if you
can not choose your colors and fabrics . . . but what do I know?
If someone said to me 'you can be a quilter only if you use these colors
and fabrics' there's just no telling how I would react. I 'd probably get
in a real huff. I might take their colors and fabrics and poke them up
their nose.
With that said, it just never crossed my dim old mind that there were
quilters who were color/fabric challenged meaning choosing was impossible or
difficult. Oh my, how I would love to take you shopping. I'll just bet
that I could move you from "I can't choose" to "How many can we get in your
car?". Polly (my car will hold at least a bathtub full)

Old October 24th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Sometimes I just like to sew. No thinking or fussing but just sit and
sew. Those are times for little creativity and that is ok. Most times
I try to work out of my stash. That can be a real challenge. Not
always does everything look great but it always is all mine ; )
Sometimes I like to finish old quilts that someone may have started
and not been able to finish. That sort of feels like community service
sometimes. I always have enjoyed sewing and have more time than many
folks so doing it all is ok for me. I think there is room for all of
it. I don't too much worry about shows and ribbons. I just am not
competitive.
Your being a real quilter is in your mind Cindy. Whatever you want to
make it will be. There may be talk of no quilt police but there are a
variety of quilters with different opinions. That will never change.
I have to say a day shopping with Polly would be a true joy. If I win
the lotto and she is willing I am going for it. LOL
TAria

Old October 24th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly, I'm on board for that f ield trip. BG

Sunny

QUILT SHOWS MoragP Quilting 25 October 12th 04 04:41 PM
question need to raise table for shows roxan Beads 16 February 20th 04 04:59 PM
Survey question about quilt shows Natalie Quilting 35 February 13th 04 05:25 PM
Ethical Question -- Connie Fox BeckiBead Beads 20 November 30th 03 03:50 AM
Ethical Question on Beads Maeven Beads 17 September 25th 03 02:51 AM