OT A favor

Old August 19th 03, 03:49 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you! I crack me up too sometimes.
You know.. I always thought that was a questionable thing but right now Im
thinking Im lucky to be able to do that.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
. net...
LOL Damn, Diana - you *crack me up*!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

RCB, its not just for breakfast anymore!
Thanks Sooz.. for your experiences with beads and this pretty neat

group.
*pretty neat as in antarctica is pretty cold*
Diana

Old August 19th 03, 03:58 PM
Diana Curtis

Damn straight! Feed your soul, nurture your spirit. Create beauty.
I followed melinda here ... she warned me I would become addicted. I thought
she meant to beads, but its the group itself that keeps me here. I *do* love
beads, in ways I cant describe... but even if I never do a thing other than
collect and look at them I will be forever grateful for the group of people
Ive met here.
Heck, I just came here cause I wanted to make nice looking fringe and found
that the doors were open wide.. tassels, jewelry of unimaginable beauty,
single beads that contain an entire world, functional pieces, totally
frivolous bits, link after link of wonderful things to look at.
Im glad you came too Jalynne. I cant wait to see what directions you take
with clay!
Hugs
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jalynne" wrote in message
news
Well, you know how I came here...i followed you, Diana...LOL. I don't

regret it,
either. This is a really nice group of people!

I first started playing with beads when i was about 16, making simple

bracelets,
earrings and chokers for my friends. I gave it up when life got crazy,

then a couple
of years ago, my grandma gave me a huge box full of her broken beaded

jewelry, and
I've since been looking for ways to use them up. I started to make

necklaces again,
and beaded ornaments, and used them on quilts, and practicing making

beaded fringe
for lamps (have yet to finish the one i started...lol). I've also played

around a
little with polyclay, and am just learning about how to really use it. I

also enjoy
collecting "pretties".

I'm highly doubtful that I'll ever become an artist with beads as the

majority of
y'all are, but I feel honoured that you would accept me into the group

with open
arms. I'm learning a lot from you, even though I'm not doing a lot right

now. I
tend to bead more in the winter, when my hands don't get so sweaty...LOL.

I just
love beads, the way I love quilts. There are infinite ways to put them

together into
patterns, and each person has their own vision of how to do that.

Someday, I'd like
to make some of my things to sell, as I've mentioned before, but have

decided to
wait, to practice, and to learn more about the craft before I venture out

there. In
the meantime, I get to hang out with you, and that's incredibly special to

me, and I
get to play with pretty, shiny things. Who cares if I ever make a

masterpiece...it
feeds my soul, and that's all that matters, right?

--
Jalynne

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
This recovery thing is boring to the utmost. Im reading most of the

posts
and catching up slowly, but havent energy to post much. Im taking this
getting better job seriously.
Reading posts is fun. Could I ask you, oldtimers and newcomers alike, to
amuse me with the story of how you came to RCB and why you stay, what
brought you to beads and what keeps you enthralled with this lovely

medium?
It would mean countless minutes of diversion for me. Make them as long

as
you want. We can just use up the bandwidth from one of the less

populated
groups. :-)
Thanks in Advance,
Diana, not feeling bad, just feeling tired. :-)

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 19th 03, 08:03 PM
Marisa E Exter

I started beading for exactly the "wrong" reasons .

My cousin had a tun of beads and also made charm bracelets which she sold (at
sweat-shop prices!) to her art teacher in highschool (who I suppose sold them
somewhere).

I always had great fun buying her beads wherever I went.

About two years ago we decided we were going to go to the Gathering of the
Gargoyles (Disney's Gargoyles, NOT the ones in the Hunchback movie, and I'd
better not get into anti-disney politics right now , but the conventions
started just after they cancelled the show in 1999 and have been anually held in
different cities since then). The price for a booth, including two memberships,
was only slightly more then two memberships.
Somehow or other, this made us decide to sell stuff at the show. She was going
to make jewelry and I was going to make (I think) shirts with my own drawings on
them.
One day we were together at my grandmother's house and my cousin let me try
making some stuff.
I had a great time and was really proud of what I made (I'm not now!). I
started making my own and buying in tuns of stuff so that we could both make
"enough" to sell.
I learned a lot more then she knew about quality materials and techniques by the
time of the convention (but still had a lot to learn... I still do now of
course!).
We ended up selling nearly nothing there (I think only 2 items of jewelry,
though I sold almost my entire collection of gargoyles toys). I partially blame
the jerk who's stand was right in front of our's (we were in a corner facing his
table. He didn't take up much space, but monopolized the room, with a constant
gathering of at LEAST half a dozen fanboys in front of him. He had plenty of
non-PG-rated stories (which was particularly annoying because the con was
supposed to be strictly PG, except for one adults-only panel discussion. Since
the original show was a cartoon aimed supposedly at children, no reason IMO not
to have it all PG)). Also, people that year didn't seem to have much money or
to be interested in anything except toys.

Since then I've changed my style a lot and added more upscale things. Our theme
is "inspired by nature" and we go with natural tones and a lot of the work has
natural themes to it, especially the engraved "riverstones" that are in our
highest-end pieces.

I say "our" although my cousin lost interest soon afterwards (sometimes she
makes things up for me if she feels like it, and she came to help me run the
booth in the big outdoor craft fair I was at this summer). My mom got pulled
in... I wanted a way to bring in her botanical artwork. We tried doing shirts
with iron-ons of her work. This summer she also made up stencils and we did
hand-painted shirts. She is loosing interest because not much sold and she
wants to do something closer to her main artwork. Right now I'm trying to
convince her to make some original designs for the riverstones.
Of course, we still have tuns of jewelry and shirts that went unsold.
I am really interested in the idea of running my own small buisness someday, so
I like the idea of trying different things until we find something to work. In
the meanwhile, though, I have tuns of stuff we have already made, and tuns of
beads not yet used (and yet, I never seem to be able to stop finding reasons to
buy more!!)

I like to work very delicately. I don't do bead-weaving, but I use seed-beads a
lot in my stringing. I also love the Bali silver.

I started lurking here just towards the end of the time you were having a troll
problem. At the time, I was looking for a nice place to hang out since the
gargoyles community had turned over to a new generation of teenagers and
college-aged, and with a different (less PG?) slant on their interests), and
also of course a place to learn more about beading. Everyone seemed really
knowledgable and also very nice. It was kind of hard to break into a post-troll
group, but I am glad I sort of have (don't really feel like a regular member of
the group yet, but I think that says more about me then the group. I have a
really hard time making friends or joining into groups. Hmmmmm...I wonder if
that is why most of my friends are on the internet, and I met my husband (the
only person I ever had a relationship with) on the internet?)

Sorry for the confusion of this story, which had more to do with Gargoyles then
beads...only it really didn't, because I have a feeling I will keep an interest
in the beading while the Gargoyles thing has drifted off... I think it had more
to do with a community that has changed then anything.

marisa2
Old August 19th 03, 08:57 PM
Deirdre S.

Lots of folk think of Art with a capital letter. High above everyday
life. And belonging to, and done by only Special People.

I think of it growing out of the mulch of everyday life, and not at
all separate from it. And I think everyone who does something that not
only feeds their soul, but -offers- their soul as food for others ...
there's no question in my mind that what they are doing is art.

Deirdre

Old August 20th 03, 02:54 AM
Diana Curtis

Thank you for sharing your story, even if it had as much gargoyles as beads!
Its all part of the tale!
Im glad youre here too!
Diana

Old August 20th 03, 03:40 AM
Christina Peterson

I'm too old to remember when I first started beading. We always had paper,
paint, clay, beads, natural materials, etc around. My mother was a den
mother and Camp Fire mother for at least a dozen years. She was also an
artist, and we had professional artists, dancers, architects, opera singers
around us as we grew up.

When my children were growing up we were always broke and making things by
hand, wood carvings, decorations, jewelry gifts. I also was interested in
local plants for food and medicine -- ethnobotany. And I had a natural
affinity for Native culture.

It wasn't until my divorce and my move to Alaska that I got seriously
interested in beads. Alcoholism had begun to rear its ugly head and I got a
DUI within a week after arriving in Fairbanks, Alaska. While I was in jail
for DUI, an Athabaskan man taught me peyote and shared some of his beads and
feathers with me.

That was 17 years ago. I started with simple stringing and a few other odds
and ends, and cheap findings. And my interest has continually grown. First
seeking seed beads, then floral beads. I also discovered catalogues. And I
took a course at the U in Silversmithing, but did not do very well. And I
found RCB. And hand made beads!! And I took courses in various weaves and
also got certified in PMC this year.

I got my first computer in 95, but didn't use it much. I upgraded in 98 and
also got the connection for e-mail. A year or two later, I discovered
newsgroups. I had looked first for Depression newsgroups, then after 9-11,
I began interacting with a group in response to that. It was shortly after
that that I found RCB.

I can't remember what my first questions were, only that they were kind of
stupid. It was the welcome from the people that really drew me in. I enjoy
some people very specially, and I also like the ones I don't agree with. I
have family in Calif and AZ and have met a few people there. Sooz was the
first one I met, and we just slid together like magnets. I've also met
Vickij and AnnieBee, Nicole BlackCat, and Karen DDAZ. And I have more on my
To Meet List.

I admire RCB as a group. Even if we do get off-topic way too much.

Tina

Old August 20th 03, 03:41 PM
Diana Curtis

Very interesting story, thank you!
Off topic to much? How can that be? All things relate to either beads or
quilts in some way so nothing can ever be considered truly off topic. Even
beads and quilts are closely related! :-)
Thank you for sharing your journey to beads with me. All these tales have
been inspiring in some way. Its been enlightening to find that there are
many paths that lead here.
Diana

Old August 20th 03, 06:47 PM
Dr. Sooz

Sooz was the
first one I met, and we just slid together like magnets.

Yes -- we really are good together! I know few people I am totally at ease
with, but Tina is outstanding in that area for me!
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html
Old August 20th 03, 11:43 PM
alia

wow what a nice thread, and such moving responses...

i started making jewelry very young, at our local craft store kit
kraft, i used to get bits and peices from the stacks of findings and
take them home and make earings. people really liked them and that
made me feel good i liked making them. then i got into origami
for a long time, then my mom took me to a few bead classes, and my
gramma taught me origami. then i became a teenager so everything
turned to **** for a while but when i was done i found myself in
college as a business major. when i graduated i had fallen in love
with a very nice man who didnt care if i made money or not, as long as
i was happy, so i put off getting a real job. and i stared doing
beadwork and stuff for fun, to pass the time while i wasnt working,
and he really liked it, and that made me feel good so i kept doing
it, and here i am. still no real job, still very happy beading (aside
from a bad cold) and hoping to sell some stuff. i have a show
tonight, ihope i am well enough to go, everyone think good thoughts
for me please.... best to everyone.
alia
Old August 21st 03, 01:44 AM
Jewitch

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:56:53 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

RCB, its not just for breakfast anymore!
Thanks Sooz.. for your experiences with beads and this pretty neat group.
*pretty neat as in antarctica is pretty cold*

Does 'not just for breakfast anymore' count as a food reference from
Diana?

jewitch