Rowenta irons

Old September 21st 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Default Rowenta irons

Just checked my iron, it's a Sunbeam and I think that they merged
with/or were taken over by some other company. The bad news is that it
got knocked to the floor from the ironing board last week, and
yesterday I had to press some strip sets for a class. Well I turned
that iron on and...

it works !!!

Anyway, it's old and it doesn't turn itself off and it gets HOT !!!

Thankfully,
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:13:52 GMT, "Karen, Queen of Squishies"
hicall80 @ mchsi.com wrote:

You might try one of those Black & Decker's John just bought. When my old
Rowenta dies I'm going to get one of those. Sounds like the new Rowentas
are bad news.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

I just bought a new Rowenta (made in China) at Penneys that I'm going to
return. It doesn't get very hot & doesn't really put out much steam. I
have an old Rowenta that gets really hot, puts out a lot of steam, but
spits water. I've probably had this one for 7 or 8 years. The model # on
it starts with DM, so guess it was made in Denmark. It started spitting a
couple years ago, but I guess I'd rather deal with that than one that
doesn't get hot. I know some people don't use steam, but I really like
steam better when I'm trying to press a seam than I like spraying water
from a spray bottle that gets everything else wet besides the seam I want
to press. About a year ago, I bought one of the Oliso (or however you
spell it) irons. Returned it because it didn't get very hot either. Maybe
some day I'll find an iron I like! Until then I'll use this old Rowenta.
I like irons that get hot!!!

Donna in Idaho

Old September 22nd 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Rowenta irons - try a Philips

Joan:
Items are manufactured all over the world for export.
Those are manufactured to specifications of the
receiving company/location. I have a SM manufactured in
Germany to US specs. It's a global village these days.
PAT in VA/USA

joanb wrote:

It occurs to me, (not at all a handy person) that if an iron is
manufactured in Europe, maybe it has european insides, which would
make it not heat up much with only your 110 ac current. We have 220 ac
current here in UK, and if I were to plug my iron from here into your
current, it would not heat up much? If I were to plug a US iron in
here, it would overheat and blow up. Somebody is getting the specs
mixed up I think.

Joan
Coventry UK

Old September 22nd 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

But could the factory have put the wrong 'identity plate' on your iron -
does Hans know that the US's irons have different insides to ours.

Having experienced various things being incorrectly fitted (like
radiators the wrong way round) I'm not very trusting, and I've always
wondered about these irons that dont heat up.

I have a sore finger to prove that mine gets hot!

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old September 23rd 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

I'm a little paranoid after all this talk about how awful Rowenta irons
are. I just invested in one this summer, and so far, I love it. The
steam is wonderful, and it's self cleaning. Mine says it's made in
Germany....... I wonder if that will make a difference in how it
behaves? Crossing fingers............

Patti in Seattle

Old September 23rd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 22, 6:39 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:
Joan:
Items are manufactured all over the world for export.
Those are manufactured to specifications of the
receiving company/location. I have a SM manufactured in
Germany to US specs. It's a global village these days.
PAT in VA/USA

While it is true about the global village, There is the problem of off-
shoring for cheaper production costs for the mfgrs. In a number of
instances I know of, J Wiss & Sons cutlery in particular, when the
company shifted production off shore they went to a different
marketing model and produced a lower quality product and relied on
mass sales that traded on the companies name to sell more of the
cheaper product to make larger volume sales. What it did was cheapen
the value of the company name as opposed to the quality made original
and left them with a smaller overall profit volume as former customers
switched to other brands when they found that the product they were
being sold with the brand name was not as good as the pre-offshore
product. So to say that the products that are made off shore are the
same thing is not always true. It depends on the business model of the
manufacturer. Are they trying to produce the same product in a
different place, or are they trying to milk the name of the company,
for high returns of short term gains at the expense of the good name
of the company. This often takes place when the company is bought out
by "holding companies" who have no special interest in keeping the
product line at the same high level as the original owner did. Their
goal is to maximize yield for their investor stockholders on a short
term basis and will let that be the guiding principle for any
decisions they make.

John

Old September 23rd 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

And in conclusion (if we come to one), it seems that the solution would be
to buy from a store that gives a guarantee of 'money back, no hassle'.
We've just bought a new computer scanner. The sales receipt is taped to the
packing box. If it gets troublesome, all we'll have to do is stuff it in
the box and take it back to the store. One of my SMs was bought from a
shifty-eyed grizzly old man in the parking lot behind the bus station; a
crazy thing to do. It's worked out just fine but I can't recommend the
practice. Polly

"John" wrote, in part , There is the problem of off-

Old September 23rd 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Yes, that is true ... to the dismay of those who have
sweet memories of when Wiss and others made excellent
products. I was just pointing out that the factory
would be making the item for the contracted specs, not
for the specs of its own locale. IOW, just because a
hair dryer is manufactured in UK does not mean that
every single one is set up for UK Electrical Code. Capice?
PAT, carefully hanging on to her ORIGINAL Wiss Pinking
Shears, in VA/USA

Old September 24th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Chris Underwood

Default Rowenta irons - & buying SM's behind the bus station...

"Polly Esther" wrote
One of my SMs was bought from a
shifty-eyed grizzly old man in the parking lot behind the bus station; a
crazy thing to do. It's worked out just fine but I can't recommend the
practice. Polly

Sounds like a story we need to hear!!!

--
-:¦:-
·.·´¨ ¨))

Old September 24th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

John wrote:
[...]

I happen to have a personal connection to Wiss Cutlery. My father was
western regional sales manager for that firm for 38 years and I grew
up with Wiss scissors and garden shears around the house. We had a
specific scissor or shear for every conceivable cutting need for our
choosing. Boy were we spoiled. Everything from the smallest cuticle
scissor to the largest lopping shear for gardening and every iteration
in-between. The change came when the family who owned the company for
more than 100 years received less than the usual return on their stock
dividends, they sold the company to Cooper Industries group and took
the money and ran. Cooper fired all of the sales and marketing people
and closed the factory and off-shored the manufacturing and traded on
the family name and produced a reduced line of products of an inferior
nature and that is what you have today. Another good example is the
current situation with Mattel Toys. They say that the problem is with
the Chinese manufacturer not following their instructions at to
materials and then I watched a video news clip of the head of
international manufacturing sucking up to the Chinese head of export
manufacturing by saying that the Chinese did not do anything wrong and
that the problem was with the specifications that they gave to the
manufacturer. Well which was it, The offshore manufacturer, or the
clients specifications, it can't be both? When you let a supplier who
may not be operating with the same set of business standards as you,
produce all of your products, you get what you pay for. It is a global
village, and just like most villages, there are good parts of town and
there are bad parts of town. If you make the things you sell in the
bad parts of town, don't be surprised if you get "held up", so to
speak. Mattel is now facing a situation where their customers have
sworn off buying any more of their products. I hope the guy in charge
of off-shoring decisions has to eat it and look for a new job. Maybe
they will hire him in China.

John

Rowenta rant........ It's not your trusty old Rowenta anymore Val Quilting 2 September 20th 07 05:05 PM
rowenta iron PatScott Quilting 21 August 30th 06 02:25 PM
Rowenta self clean Betty Maxey Quilting 2 February 13th 06 02:20 AM
question about my Rowenta Queen of Squishies Quilting 24 November 21st 05 12:03 PM
My Rowenta Kate Dicey Quilting 37 April 1st 05 10:21 PM