Processing Stash

Old April 11th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mickie Swall[_3_]

Default Processing Stash

I'm planning on disolving my stash, have more than I'll ever use in this
lifetime and seriously am burned out on quilting. I would like to cut it up
and package it into 250 to 500-square charm packs, and getting rid of it on
either etsy or eBay. Don't really want to make any money on it, just want
it out of my cupboards. If you were to take most of your stash and cut it
up into small pieces for future charm square projects, what size would you
cut the squares?
Mickie (who's thinking maybe I should just donate it to a charity group and
be done with it?)

Old April 11th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

On Apr 11, 5:54*pm, "Mickie Swall" wrote:
I'm planning on disolving my stash, have more than I'll ever use in this
lifetime and seriously am burned out on quilting. *I would like to cut it up
and package it into 250 to 500-square charm packs, and getting rid of it on
either etsy or eBay. *Don't really want to make any money on it, just want
it out of my cupboards. *If you were to take most of your stash and cut it
up into small pieces for future charm square projects, what size would you
cut the squares?
Mickie (who's thinking maybe I should just donate it to a charity group and
be done with it?)

Is it really worth your time to cut charms?

How about doing coordinated FQ bundles instead? That's kind of in
between charms and giving it all away :-)

Hanne in DK

Old April 11th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
EstelleUK

I like 5"Charm Squares myself.
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11

Old April 11th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I'd say sell it as is- only cut smallish scraps (smaller than a FQ???) into
charms. I know I find and buy fabric on eBay all the time- especially when
I run short in the middle of a project. If the buyer wants charms they can
cut up a larger piece. But sewing 5 in. squares together to try to get a 3
in. strip or 12 in. square doesn't work very well. ;-)

I'm sorry you are burned out on quilting- your work is so beautiful. I
wonder if you take a break if you might find you are ready to jump in again
and re-find your joy?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old April 11th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

The larger the charm square the less of them to cut out of a
particular fabric

Maybe fat quarter or skinny quarters?
Send a box to Jill of Critter Comforts?
Check with local reputable charities and see if they would like some
[and garner the tax write-off doing it]?
Maybe someone here on this ng lives close to you in Pennsylvania and
would buy some/all of it?
Contact you local guild and offer a one day sale?

Ginger in CA
no, I don't need anything more but heck if we lived closer....

Old April 11th 10, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

How about a yard/garage sale? Last year a local lady bundled her stash
(she used plastic bags) into yardage, 1/2 yards, fat quarters, and
scraps/charms. I don't remember the exact pricing, but she charged about
$2 a yard across the board, and the fabric was flying out the door. She
did have some left over, and I believe she donated that to a charity
group. The advantage was she didn't have to add the time and cost for
shipping that would be required on etsy or eBay.

All that being said, I think 5" charms seems to be the standard, and
that's what I'd go with.

Good luck!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old April 11th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
mary

I'm sure Quilts for Kids http://www.quiltsforkids.org/ would appreciate the
fabric and give a receipt.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old April 11th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Your question breaks my heart. I understand divorce. Heck, I even
understand the need for an axe murder now and then but your not quilting is
a tragedy! A quilt magazine came in yesterday and with every page turn, I
looked for something special from you.
I guess it's time for you to aim your magnificent talent in a different
direction but couldn't you consider competing or teaching or making quilts
to wrap babies in Haiti. Something? Have you prayed about this? Never mind.
*I* will. I'll pray that your direction and joy of quilting is returned.
Sooo distressed. Polly

Old April 11th 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:57:46 -0500, Louise in Iowa wrote:

How about a yard/garage sale?

Hoo!

If you do this sing out and I will put kiri on a leash and make her drive
me down!
Providing of course that I actually have money at the time.

Seems we have several people here within a few hours drive of you.
We could descend like locusts, buy all your stash, infect you with our
enthusiasm, and then you could go out and buy brand new stash.
Sound like a plan?

Seriously sweetie, it seems to me that you have spent an awful lot of
time making quilts to other people's specs.
When was the last time you made a quilt just because it was one that
_you_ wanted to make?

Take some time off. Make some bears, do some scrapbooking, read poetry,
write a song, bake, learn to tat. Whatever you do when you aren't
quilting. Then after a few weeks or months rethink quilting.

NightMist
--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old April 11th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'm sorry to hear your story Mickie. I am sure many here will be. I hope
you
are able to find somewhere that your creativity can grow that will work for
you.
My first reccomendation is to just let it sit for maybe 6 months and see if
you
can renew your interest. If you are really determined to move it all on I
would
suggest finding a good charity group. Lots of quilts are made for hospice
and
cancer patients in addition to kids. Veterans are also one of the groups
that lots
of folks quilt for. I don't think I would bother to cut them up if you
aren't worried
about the money angle. Is there a local guild that does a lot of charity
work? You
could have them get together for a day where members cut up the fabric into
kits and then have another meed up where they put them together. Might be
fun
for you to actually see the outcome of something like this.
I am mourning the loss of your interest.
Hugs, Taria

Textile Processing Guide texpro Yarn 0 March 6th 08 04:51 PM
Ectime - Textile Processing Magazine Ectime Quilting 0 May 12th 06 01:49 AM
OT-Credit Card processing info Armand Vine Beads 8 February 23rd 05 04:42 AM
Credit Card Processing MoonFish Beads 4 January 13th 05 05:55 PM
processing wild clematis for basketry Mary Irene General Crafting 0 August 13th 04 11:59 PM