quilting question.....

Old December 10th 03, 12:10 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Default quilting question.....

i have a tall skinny "baby" quilt made up of small 1/4 square triangles
(pattern/pale yellow, pattern, pale yellow) in an eye spy kind of set up
(there are 2 triangles of each kid print fabric in the quilt).
It has been hanging on my design wall for months trying out borders and
such. Nothin doin. The baby will be one on Jan 1st. Her room is done in a
beach/underwater theme.

I was planning on quilting a little flower in the yellow triangles and a
rounded off triangle in the patterned areas. But on the plane yesterday i
started doodling on a napkin. went from doodlin flowers to seaweed and
rocks and fish and boats and ........ thought maybe...........

maybe, just maybe, I could treat the backing (a very light purple on purple
which looks like sunlight dappled on water) as a whole cloth canvas and
quilt an underwater scene on it instead of focusing on the triangles in the
front.

Could i pull it off? would the pattern not matter on the front? or would
that mess up the front? should i save that pattern for another quilt?

I need to get working on this and am at a loss. This is the only thing that
sparked my interest so far, but i don't want to invest a lot of time into
something i'm gonna frog stitch. And i really wanted to get this to her
around her birthday.

ideas?

Kellie

Old December 10th 03, 12:15 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Get yourself a piece of tissue paper, and doodle your underwater scene on
it. Lay the tissue paper over the quilt top, and voila! You'll have your
answer.

Personally, I like the idea of tying the quilting into the room theme, and
lots of my customers love overall quilt designs (I'm doing one on a king
size right now, and the next two quilts I do will also be overalls). I don't
care for them myself, but I also leave lots of room for quilting.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

y.com...

Old December 10th 03, 01:00 AM
Sharon Harper

Ooooh Yes! I read something in one of the Aussie mags about a lady who does
just that - she actually quilts the pattern in the backing fabric. Not
exact just in the same general "flow" Looks fantastic from what I've seen
and I'd be interested to try it. Let us know how it works.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old December 10th 03, 01:56 AM
georg

Kellie J. Berger wrote:

Could i pull it off? would the pattern not matter on the front? or would
that mess up the front? should i save that pattern for another quilt?

REpeat after me. There are no Quilt Police. There are no hard and fast
rules about quilts. I can make anything that appeals to me. If I make it
with love, it will be loved too. No one will show up at my door and
impound my sewing machine because I made something "against the rules."

Do as you will, since that is what appeals to you.

Sounds good to me!!

-georg

Old December 10th 03, 02:31 AM
Sandy Foster

In article m,
"Kellie J. Berger" wrote:

[...]

I like this idea, Kellie! It's your quilt (at least until you give it
away g), so do what you want!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net
Old December 10th 03, 03:04 AM
frood

I think this is a fabulous idea! Go for it!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old December 10th 03, 03:12 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Ah, yes... I know there are NO quilt police.... and i know the design in my
mind will look good on the back. And i seem to remember talk of others doing
this sort of thing before. AND i have seen it done where the back and front
are both pieced, but the piecing was similar.

I'm just curious and a bit apprehensive regarding the aesthetics of the 1/4
square triangles with the quilting i have in mind. Hoping someone had
tried something like this before and would own up as to whether or not it
worked for them!

Kellie
itchin to get sewing

Old December 10th 03, 03:40 AM
Lisa C

[...]

It sounds yummy!
As to whether it would be too distracting on the front.... what color
thread, what type? You would be going through a pale yellow solid and your
prints.
Hmmm... wonder if a pale yellow thread would do for the quilting against the
purple. Then the design would be almost like a 'hidden picture' on the
front.
Ooooooh, let us know what you decide...
Lisa
(who still only has tops 'cause she's scared of the quilting part)

Old December 10th 03, 05:50 AM
Chipper

Well, you could quilt the back with the underwater scene and just tack on
the front with 'bubbles'...small circles of various sizes. That way you
could have your cake and eat it too.
Or tie the front on after quilting the design onto the back.
chipper

.. .

Old December 10th 03, 10:37 AM
Kate Dicey

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote:

[...]

Go under water! Here, have some cyber scuba gear!
--
Kate XXXXXX (Passing the aqualungs under the quilt frame... )
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk