Hoods with fluffy yarn

Old October 10th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda [email protected]

Default Hoods with fluffy yarn

Good Afternoon...

Last week Mom and I were in Michael's and I saw a yarn that really
took my eye. Unfortunately, I didn't think to write down the name of
the yarn, but it was fluffy like Funny, but softer, and it had slubs
through it as well. I thought it would be great to knit up as a
Hood/cowl like this one:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...html?noImages=

Do you think I would cast on the same number of stitches as it shows
for the Lion Brand version? Somehow I remember one of the yarn shop
owners saying she knit one of the out of Funny and cast on 90 sts,
then just kept knitting round and round until she had the length she
liked. Sound good?

take care, Linda in B.C., Canada
Old October 11th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

It looks just like the pattern they had using some other yarn, which I made
in Jiffy. Jiffy is a fuzzy yarn..... just looked at my bookmark and it now
says they used Jiffy, weird. I made it in pastel variegated, which has
like a soft purple, yellow, pink. Sounds awful, but it looks good on my
soft yellow sweater, and the other 2 colors, which I have a lot of. The
pattern is kind of like tubes, and they tend to want to work back together
like a slinky. So, it is not wonderful at keeping your head warm. When
you get it pulled up, it wants to back off. If you don't make it long
enough, it will stop at the place your hairline stops in back, if you do
make it long enough, you will have a very spiral-ly neck. All in all, I
kind of like it, but it has it problems. I even like to just wear it like
a big cowl neck, because my neck/chest gets cold easily, and it's nice to be
able to pull it up for a little head protection since it's already there.
But I can't say that the Jiffy is really a warm covering, even though you
would have thought so. Doesn't sound like I'm helping that much
old pattern: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...tml?noImages=0
--
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home
My crochet forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/crochetplus/start
Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

news

Old October 12th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
I have been thinking about Hoods , as they are useful and back into
fashion. i wonder if a twisted cloth would sit better ,, i have to try
it out though ,,,,,,
mirjam

I would think a very wide moebius might drape well.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 12th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda [email protected]

Linda wrote in message
news
Good Afternoon...

Last week Mom and I were in Michael's and I saw a yarn that really
took my eye. Unfortunately, I didn't think to write down the name of
the yarn, but it was fluffy like Funny, but softer, and it had slubs
through it as well. I thought it would be great to knit up as a
Hood/cowl like this one:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...html?noImages=

Do you think I would cast on the same number of stitches as it shows
for the Lion Brand version? Somehow I remember one of the yarn shop
owners saying she knit one of the out of Funny and cast on 90 sts,
then just kept knitting round and round until she had the length she
liked. Sound good?

take care, Linda in B.C., Canada

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 03:31:59 GMT, "ejk" wrote:
Hi Linda,

I made the old pattern a couple of years ago with a soft slubby yarn. I just
checked the pattern for the recommended gauge and substituted something
appropriate. As Cozy said, it tends to slip back from one's face a bit but
it's wonderful around the neck! Also, in very cold weather, I've found it
tucks nicely under a hooded jacket and keeps me toasty warm.

There is another pattern in a twisted rib which might stay in position a bit
better: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTaibhlinn.html

Eimear

Hi Eimear,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to sneak out to Michael's and
buy the yarn, then I'll work from there. It's gorgeous yarn, so I
will have to post what it is. It took my eye the moment I saw it.

thanks...Linda

Need name of yarn Linda Yarn 8 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 04:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 05:30 AM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 03:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM