question about photographing glass

Old July 31st 03, 01:43 PM
ConTactMe

Default question about photographing glass

I took this image using a flash, and it has a glowing effect. I'm trying to
find out if it's due to the shape or due to gases in the glass. It's a cool
effect, and I'd like to be able to duplicate it, or create similar effects.
Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks

Old August 1st 03, 02:08 AM
Mike Firth

Provide a link to a web site with the photo. Don't try to post it on a
text only newsgroup, the newsgroup servers will strip it off. Actually,
if the glass is glowing, it is probably a uranium glass, well known for
glowing in UV light, which your strobe may be.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old August 1st 03, 08:06 PM
ConTactMe

Sorry. I meant to post the image link earlier:

http://www.spvision.com/spvsales/images/misc/TransmitTube/TransmitTube%20(8)
..JPG

You can see several images of this thingy at the root:

http://www.spvision.com/spvsales/ima.../TransmitTube/

Truth is, I'm not familiar with these items, but it looked cool to
photograph. I do hope to find out some more about it and maybe even see if
it still works.

Thanks for the assistance.
Jamie

Old August 2nd 03, 05:47 PM
Bill Browne

I think what you are seeing is light reflecting off the contents of the
tube and refracting through the curved surface of the glass, then showing up
on your backdrop.

From the link Finn posted, I would guess it came out of an X-ray machine.

--
Bill Browne
Excalibur http://excalibur-dbf.com

Old August 6th 03, 04:13 AM
Cheryl

and its cool (or hot), but you do not want to try
to find out if it works....
http://www.medelex.com/Tetrode_Tubes.htm

Finn

WOW -- I guess not!
" This tube will generate x-rays with anode voltages above 15kV.
Adequate external shielding against this radiation is the responsibility of the
user. "

Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old August 7th 03, 04:21 AM
ConTactMe

Cool! Wonder if I can use it to see through stuff (no, not serious). Guess I
will have some fun with this.

Thanks for the info, all.

"Bill Browne" wrote in message
news
I think what you are seeing is light reflecting off the contents of the
tube and refracting through the curved surface of the glass, then showing

up
on your backdrop.

From the link Finn posted, I would guess it came out of an X-ray machine.

--

"ConTactMe" wrote in message
I took this image using a flash, and it has a glowing effect. I'm

trying
find out if it's due to the shape or due to gases in the glass. It's

cool
effect, and I'd like to be able to duplicate it, or create similar
effects.
Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks

Question! Sand effect/color in glass csteele Beads 2 December 1st 04 09:17 AM
OT? Glass Question Rachel T. Beads 14 June 7th 04 05:45 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 09:19 PM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM
Photographing Stained Glass Neil Ralley Glass 1 July 3rd 03 12:37 AM