Soul food

Old October 1st 05, 04:53 PM
Tina

ABOMINATION, is an understatement Debi! OMG, my DH will eat Quaker
Instant Grits when we have breakfast for dinner sometimes. I keep
telling him, that is how I KNOW you are NOT a real Texan. A REAL Texan
would never stoop so low as to eat instant grits. Oh how grooooosssss!

Hugs,
Tina, the Texan, who likes hot cooked grits with LOTS of butter, salt
and pepper
and occasionally, that over easy egg thrown in too!

Old October 1st 05, 05:07 PM
Ginger in CA

Ah, I loooove grits and eggs!!!
Little butter, little salt and pepper! or, for a real treat, with
sausage gravy. Not instant grits, but the old fashioned cook it
yourself kind. We do have them in some stores out here in CA.

The best grits/eggs/biscuits I ever ate was at 4AM at a Skelly truck
stop diner in the middle-of-nowhere-farm-country, when I had a load of
8 horses hauling from Los angeles to Chicago. Diner sat about 20 people
at old formica tables. I was the only female, and driving a big truck
to boot ) It was early summer, so by the time we finished breakfast
it was just light out. All the locals came out to check over the horses
I had, just shook their heads when they realised some of them were
worth $50K )

Ginger in CA
gotta go find grits now......

Old October 1st 05, 06:20 PM
Sally Swindells

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:57:30 GMT, "Debi Matlack"
wrote:

Sally, your post made me chuckle over the simple but profound differences in
'English' and 'American'.
Biscuits, here in the Southern US are quite similar to scones, but usually
more savory, not sweet. They can vary greatly from place to place, even
here. My favorite are buttermilk biscuits, made into a sandwich, with just
butter, or with butter and jam, used to 'sop' gravy at supper...mmmmm... I
don't have a proper recipe, my mother taught me to use self-rising flour,
add shortening and mix with your fingers until you get that coarse meal look
and add enough buttermilk to make a sticky dough. Flour your hands and roll
out individual balls and pat them into a slightly flattened shape. Bake at
400-425 F about 15 minutes, more or less, until golden. They can be a bit
crumbly, especially if you use a little too much shortening, but they taste
wonderful!
Now grits... grits are corn that has been treated (not sure how) dried and
ground. It's similar to farina, cream of wheat-type hot cereals. The texture
is a bit coarser and are eaten with salt pepper and butter. Soem people will
make eggs over easy and mix that in with their grits. Some people eat grits
with fish (usually batter fried) and cheese grits are a wonderful thing.
Unless you live in the southern US, it's nearly impossible to get grits of
any kind, even instant grits, which are an abomination in most Southerner's
minds.;-)

So grits - I have translated them into a sort of creamy porridge but
made of corn not oats, with fried eggs and according to a later post,
gravy, on them. Can't have got it right can I?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old October 1st 05, 06:25 PM
C & S

Sally, thanks for your recipe. I will give it a try. We love squash. As
for the date scone recipe, it is maple syrup and not sugar. My mistake.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Its very simple:

Cut a largish butternut squash in half (about 2-lb), scoop out the
seeds, dot with a little butter and roast at 325f (or 160C) for an
hour until its softened.

Meanwhile, cook 12oz potatoes in about 2 pints of water, with a
vegetable stock cube and a bit of salt.

When the squash is cooked, scoop the flesh out of the skin, add to the
potato and wizz (I am always a bit cautious with the amount of stock I
wizz in - you can always add a bit more, but can't take it out.

Test for salt and pepper and my recipe says add cream here, but I want
to be slim so I add a bit of milk - just enough to give a creamier
impression!

Your scones sound yummy, but I haven't met maple sugar over here, only
syrup. Perhaps its something they don't export.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 1st 05, 06:33 PM
Tina

Yep Sally, you got it right! Now just wait till you try it! You'll be
hooked

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 1st 05, 06:48 PM
Sally Swindells

On 1 Oct 2005 10:33:42 -0700, "Tina" wrote:

Yep Sally, you got it right! Now just wait till you try it! You'll be
hooked

Hugs,
Tina

There's no answer to that!

I shall go and cook my chicken in red wine sauce with roast potatoes
and vegs! (and sample the butternut squash soup to keep me going till
its done!)
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old October 1st 05, 07:48 PM
C & S

Yum, Yum.... What time is dinner? I once (we lost contact) had a friend,
from England who made the best roast potatoes I had ever tasted. She knew
how to roast! She also made this amazing soda bread.

Old October 1st 05, 09:04 PM
Debi Matlack

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
So grits - I have translated them into a sort of creamy porridge but
made of corn not oats, with fried eggs and according to a later post,
gravy, on them. Can't have got it right can I?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Sounds about right to me!
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old October 1st 05, 09:56 PM
teleflora

"C & S" wrote in message
I bet your dad's gravy must be good! Now that I think of it, Mom would
have
probably used coffee to (we did come home for lunch). She used whatever
was
around. Dad drank coffee in the morning and tea at lunch and onward. She
didn't used cornstarch but flour. She would make a batch of roasted/brown
flour (put flour in a hot pan and cook until brown). From the fat and
dripping she would cook her onions, than add the flour followed by the
liquid. I haven't mastered the art of gravy making as of yet.

I've been married for 33 years and cooking for the last 20 gr and gravy is
still the only thing (outside of most baking) that I still have to measure
for.

Just remember "2". 2 - Tablespoons of grease, 2 - Tablespoons of flour and
2 - Cups of milk.

That's gravy.

Cindy

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 06:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM