OT Memorial Day 2004

Old May 30th 04, 02:38 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default OT Memorial Day 2004

Here in the USA we are observing Memorial Day tomorrow. In other
countries it may be called Remembrance Day. This is a day to
honor those men and women of the armed services who have paid the
ultimate sacrifice for their nation and fellow citizens. I am sad
to say some have been my friends and acquaintances. I salute the
memory of each one who has died for us .... from 1775 until
present times. I acknowledge those of other countries that
observe this event this weekend too.

Please read this beloved poem by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae
of the Canadian Forces. For information about the poem or Colonel
McCrae, just google for Flanders Fields. PAT in VA/USA

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...flande rs.htm

Old May 30th 04, 07:42 PM
Ginger in CA

Thank you, Pat.

Yesterday my DH and I were proud to accompany my father to the
commissioning of the USS Pickney, here at Port of Hueneme (in CA). The
sailor the ship is named after served on the USS Enterprise CV-6, at
the same time as my dad, in 1941-42. I'll tell you there were about
3500 people there, from all walks of life, and many oldsters who like
my father served aboard the USS Enterprise in WWII. I was moved to
tears by the reaction of many who glanced at my dad, did a doubletake
when they saw his age (87), his bent over but proud and determined
walk, the hat on his head identifying him as a member of the
Enterprise CV-6 Association, as they realised he was of the same era.
It was especially moving to see the crew of the USS Pickney show the
utmost reverence and respect for these gentlemen. Late last year this
same crew suffered a loss of 3 shipmates when their bus had a head-on
collision with a big rig while traveling to place a memorial wreath on
the grave of the namesake of this new vessel.

Bless our troops, those who serve us in life now and those who have
gone ahead of us.

Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day,
Ginger in CA

Pat in Virginia wrote in message news:ntluc.470$Y21.306@lakeread02...
Here in the USA we are observing Memorial Day tomorrow. In other
countries it may be called Remembrance Day. This is a day to
honor those men and women of the armed services who have paid the
ultimate sacrifice for their nation and fellow citizens. I am sad
to say some have been my friends and acquaintances. I salute the
memory of each one who has died for us .... from 1775 until
present times. I acknowledge those of other countries that
observe this event this weekend too.

Please read this beloved poem by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae
of the Canadian Forces. For information about the poem or Colonel
McCrae, just google for Flanders Fields. PAT in VA/USA

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...cemetery.com%2

flanders.htm
Old May 30th 04, 08:38 PM
merrystitch

Amen, Ginger.
I get goosebumps reading about your experience with your father. You re so
blessed to still have him with you.
Merrystitch

Old May 31st 04, 12:24 AM
Pati Cook

I would also like to add a thank you and a plea to remember those still suffering from injuries and other such suffered in the wars. Especially those from the "unmentionable" wars of VietNam and Desert Storm. Many of these veterans were exposed to chemical agents, known and unknown, that have seriously affected their lives.

Many of the people in my family served in WWII, my brother was in the Navy when Tehran was taken and I honor all of them. But too often the others are looked down upon, and ignored in the remembrances.

Pati, in Phx, especially thinking of a dear friend slowly dying of the effects of Agent Orange poisoning.

Old May 31st 04, 02:55 AM
Don/Gen

I was so proud of my DGs, age 8 Friday. The Cub Scout packs, Boy Scouts and
Girl Scouts in the Ann Arbor area were to meet at a local cemetery and place
new flags on the graves of military deceased. He was the only Cub Scout to
show up, much to my disgust. Once he understood just what they were doing,
he was very solemn and looked for markers of the military and made sure his
flags were in just the right position. He was so respectful. This was a
great lesson for him. I just wish more Cubs had shown up.
Gen

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Here in the USA we are observing Memorial Day tomorrow. In other
countries it may be called Remembrance Day. This is a day to
honor those men and women of the armed services who have paid the
ultimate sacrifice for their nation and fellow citizens. I am sad
to say some have been my friends and acquaintances. I salute the
memory of each one who has died for us .... from 1775 until
present times. I acknowledge those of other countries that
observe this event this weekend too.

Please read this beloved poem by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae
of the Canadian Forces. For information about the poem or Colonel
McCrae, just google for Flanders Fields. PAT in VA/USA

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...lds&page=1&off
set=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26request Id%3D21210bd848210309%26cl
ickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery%3Dflanders%2Bfields% 26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%25
3A%252F%252Fwww.arlingtoncemetery.com%252Fflanders .htm%26invocationType%3D-%
26fromPage%3DNSCPTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_ur l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arlingt
oncemetery.com%2Fflanders.htm

Old May 31st 04, 04:44 PM
DDM

We just got back a few minutes ago from the Memorial Day Parade in the
village. It was sprinkling and not very warm, but still quite a few people
turned out. Both grandsons marched with their scout troups looking very
solemn and trying not to grin too broadly as they saw people they knew
waving at them
from the sidewalks. The high school marching band and The Mighty St. Joe's
marched
also. The biggest applause every year though is always for the veterans.

Dee in LeRoy, NY ( I love a parade!)

Old June 3rd 04, 07:41 PM
Coleen

Gen --

What a sweet story. You have every right to be very proud of him.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen

Old June 4th 04, 08:37 PM
Pat in Virginia

Thank YOU Ginger! This was a lovely report. I am looking forward
to visiting the new WW II Moment in Washington, DC soon.
PAT in VA/USA

Old June 5th 04, 10:21 AM
Lizzy Taylor

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Here in the USA we are observing Memorial Day tomorrow. In other
countries it may be called Remembrance Day. This is a day to honor those
men and women of the armed services who have paid the ultimate sacrifice
for their nation and fellow citizens. I am sad to say some have been my
friends and acquaintances. I salute the memory of each one who has died
for us .... from 1775 until present times. I acknowledge those of other
countries that observe this event this weekend too.

Please read this beloved poem by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae of the
Canadian Forces. For information about the poem or Colonel McCrae, just
google for Flanders Fields. PAT in VA/USA

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...flande rs.htm

Thank you Pat for posting this. In the UK our Remembrance Day is held in
November on the closest Sunday to Armistice Day (11/11).

This year however many of us are remembering the immense bravery of and
sacrifice made by the Allied forces on D-Day 60 years ago. There are
many news items and TV & radio programs on the commemorative events.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3778649.stm

I can still remember how huge the beaches seemed when I visited them as
a child.

Over this weekend please try to find time to spare a thought for those
who took part in the original landings and those who are returning to
the beaches this year for a final official commemoration.

Lizzy
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Free Shipping Memorial Day Weekend at The Virginia Quilter! The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 May 28th 04 05:58 AM
Ottawa Valley Guild of Stitchery NeedleArts 2004 Show Lynne Demmery Needlework 0 April 2nd 04 08:29 PM
Crazy Horse Memorial Omar Zia Carving 0 January 11th 04 09:22 PM
Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota Omar Zia Carving 0 January 4th 04 04:27 PM
Annie, England back with IMPORTANT-Houston 2004 dates annie Quilting 22 October 11th 03 11:42 AM