If I put my mind to it....

Old June 4th 04, 06:42 PM
nbhilyard

Default If I put my mind to it....

Earlier this year I bought a wonderful group of fabrics: a print with pink,
green, yellow, purple, turquoise leaves on a mottled blue background; plus a
yard each of tone-on-tone in those colors. I thought I'd make a summer
dress and top, though I didn't have a pattern in mind. On Monday (the
holiday) I came across that stack of fabrics, and having just finished the
necktie skirt I wrote about, I was still feeling sew-y. I made an elastic
waist skirt from the leafy print and began to plan a top.

I had meetings Tuesday and Wednesday evenings so couldn't get to my studio
until last night. Wow! Inspiration struck. I used Cindy Taylor Oates' Big
Shirt pattern (the jacet variation). I created bargello panels for the
front and the back yoke, using 2" strips. I'd never done bargello quilting
before and had some frustrating moments getting the "steps" between the
strips to coordinate. (You know how pieces turn themselves upside down and
backwards when you take them from the cutting table to the sewing machine.)
Then I realized I would have to cover all the raw edges of the pieced
panels, and the easiest way to do that was to completely line the jacket. I
had fabric (yellow) in my stash just right for the lining. I had one each
of turquoise, purple, pink, yellow, and grass-green buttons.

I was up until 11:30 last night, sewing. This morning I started at 7:00. I
sewed on the last button at 11:55!

Nann
who is wearing the outfit now, about to leave for the weekend

Old June 4th 04, 08:36 PM
Patti

Sounds really lovely Nann. Well done for seeing past the obvious!!
..
In article , nbhilyard
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 5th 04, 01:13 PM
Musicmaker

I'd love to see the results! I'm such a lost soul when it comes to sewing
clothes - I'd always rather be quilting!

--
Cindy Bettinger;

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/