hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe

Old August 18th 03, 12:19 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe

From: (QuiltR1024)

Does anyone know the recipe for making the liquid hummingbird food. How
much water and how much sugar to mix together. I know that red food coloring
has to be added also, but is their a certain amount of it to add?

I usually use 1 part water to a *minimum* of 2 parts sugar. If you make it
sweet enough, those little hummers spread the word and you don't need the red
food coloring -- LOL. Actually, most feeders have some red on them and that
would be enough to attract the little fellas. Just be sure that your feeder is
*really* clean. Hummers are fussier than kitty cats when it comes to clean!
CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old August 18th 03, 03:22 AM
Polly Esther

Our hummers like 1/3 cup sugar to l cup water. I microwave it until it comes
to a boil and let cool. Just trying to be very safe for these little ones.
No coloring. Ours have become quite arrogant. If the feeder is running low,
they come around the house and buzz the kitchen window to get me out for a
refill. And very curious. If we are standing outside, they humm by to see
what's new. Polly

Old August 18th 03, 02:54 PM
taria

The desert house is where all my hummingbird friends are but
I am working on attracting them at the 'new' house. The best
way you attract birds is to plant things they will like. Lots
of flowers for hummers. Several would come and sit along the fence
right near where I would hand water in the evening in the desert.
You could talk to them and get within a few feet and they wouldn't
move. I'm really working on flowers at the new house and it is
working. I really don't want to mess with feeders. I know the
flowers will work and then I can enjoy them and the birds!
Taria

Butterfly wrote:

We have 3:
Papa: Hoover (sits and eats and eats and eats-- checks you out when
out walking-- LOVES the Glads-- dips and dives thru the roses )
Mama: Nervous Ninny (sips, checks out window, sips, checks out Stained
Glass Butterflies, sips, checks out around window, sips, GONE, will
chit at you if you are out walking about-- too nervous to check out
glads but LOVES the roses)
Baby: unnamed (sips-- moves to next side-- sips-- sits-- sips-- moves
to first side-- sips-- sits-- sips-- and GONE-- stops at Glads--enters
so far you can't see it--plays hide and seek with its parents in the
back trees))

Butterfly (That is each evenings entertainment until Mars starts showing
off and the stars come out to play)

From: "Polly Esther"

........ Ours have become quite arrogant. If the feeder is running low,
they come around the house and buzz the kitchen window to get me out for a
refill. And very curious. If we are standing outside, they humm by to see
what's new.

I haven't managed to attract any here in Magnoliaville. Back at the cabin
in Arizona, we have several and they are *quit* gregarious! I have usually use
the commercial food at first and then switch to the homemade stuff. I have
tried using less sugar but my guys like the 2 parts water to 1 part sugar
ratio. I tried all different blends and this is the one that kept them coming
back for more. Well, that and the red taillight covers on DH's truck -- LOLOL!

Anyway, I hadn't realized until we spent a lot of time up at the cabin that
hummers actuallly make a little chirping noise! I was *really* surprised by
this! The other big surprise was seeing the biggest one -- we called him Butch
because he was so much bigger than the others AND he was a bully -- actually
land on the feeder! I had never seen a hummer actually stop flying!
VBS -- I am not sure why I can't get any to come to my house here. I am on
a corner and have the dog but she never bothered the birds in Lizard Land or
the mountains! CiaoMeow ^;;^
.

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old August 18th 03, 05:31 PM
Butterfly

Question:
DH wants to put his sunflower seeds out this winter for the birds. He
had been talking of a hanging one--but I wouldn't be able to reach up
(on my bad days) to refill it........what is the success rate of one
that would be like a bird bath---sits up off the ground? We do have a
bird bath that they enjoy now. Also, just how close to your window
would you set it?
Thanks
Butterfly

Old August 18th 03, 07:23 PM
Queen of Squishies

Do you have squirrels? They will eat everything in a bird bath. Try to
find the kind of feeders that stick on the window with suction cups. (see
living room curtain pics on my web site - www.karentucker.com One squirrel
in three years managed to perfect jumping from the tree to the feeder. I
moved it two feet up, and it has stayed put ever since.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 18th 03, 07:35 PM
Lynne in Toronto

It depends on whether you have squirrels or other rodents. Here,
squirrels take over any standing bird feeder. We have to provide
elaborate deflectors to keep them away. They are such greedy little
things.

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old August 18th 03, 07:57 PM
grbev

We use the formula 1 cup sugar, 4 cups water, and we do add the red food
coloring. We live out in the country near the Great Salt Lake and we have
tons of hummingbirds. We have two large feeders that have places for them
to rest as they suckle.... The perches are always full! This morning I
stood out by the feeders (about two feet away). The little birds were
hovering around me less than a foot from my face. The whir of their wings
sounded like a miniature helicopter pad and they definitely talk to one
another! They were so close, I could see their little legs tucked up in
their feathers. They are so neat... they can flit around and yet hover in
mid air as if they are standing still. One brave soul hovered about 18
inches from my cat as she lay lazily watching above her head as they flitted
around. It is so awesome to see the beauty of nature like this.

From Utah,

Bev Forsling

"QuiltR1024" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone know the recipe for making the liquid hummingbird food.

How
much water and how much sugar to mix together. I know that red food

coloring
has to be added also, but is their a certain amount of it to add?

Kris ( in northern Virginia)

Old August 18th 03, 09:20 PM
Butterfly

No squirrels and I do hear they have voles around--but every single one
of our neighbors have dogs (except one whose cat thought our tree out
front was its scratching post--putting gravel all around was a great
deterrent --it only comes to sit under the cars now). Not
complaining--they are nice ppl and are NOT afraid to give a helping hand
when needed...we haven't brought up the subject of cat
with them either ; )
Butterfly

Old August 20th 03, 04:56 PM
Diana Curtis

Another zinnia lover here! The colors are so unbelievable. Those are what I
think of as jewel tones.
I dont have a lot of experience with hummngbirds but planted a garden hoping
to attract them, and butterflys (who can live without a beautiful butterfly
in their life?)
One day, not long after I put out some nice hanging baskets of impatients, I
was sitting on the steps enjoying the day when I thought I heard a very
large bumblebee. A tiny gem of a hummer came and investigated the
impatiences... I was thrilled! It came within a foot of me.
I need more flowers. :-)
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
We planted zinnias across the front of the house our first year here. Just
big old tough sturdy zinnias. The hummingbirds loved them. Our feeder

hangs
less than a foot from a big window by a string attached to the roof
overhang. It's about five feet from the ground, easily refilled. We have

bring it inside during windstorms lest a gust send it in through the

window
but it's the last thing in and the first thing out. The overhang provides

little shelter and the hummers go right on eating, rain or not. Polly

Old August 21st 03, 09:29 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Different birds like to feed in different ways. My winter favorites, the
rufous-sided towhees, prefer the ground. They will eat from feeders, much
safer from the cats, if there is no seed on the ground. Some birds will be
attracted by black thistle seed (e.g., American goldfinches). Expensive,
but worth it if you love yellow birds.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
.. .

Recipe Collecting clancy Needlework 0 March 13th 04 02:46 PM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM