"Paint blemished" White sewing machines

Old March 10th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
patslag

Default "Paint blemished" White sewing machines

Hello everyone! Has anyone ever purchased one of these machines?
They are being sold for $169...supposedly worth $500.... My 69 year
old father just took up quilting (Oy! The fabric he's already
acquired) and is looking to upgrade from my old Brother. They are
being sold at a hotel this weekend and was wondering if it was worth
the investment. Thank you for any imput. Patti
Old March 11th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
patslag wrote:

Hello everyone! Has anyone ever purchased one of these machines?
They are being sold for $169...supposedly worth $500.... My 69 year
old father just took up quilting (Oy! The fabric he's already
acquired) and is looking to upgrade from my old Brother. They are
being sold at a hotel this weekend and was wondering if it was worth
the investment. Thank you for any imput. Patti

Patti, I hate to rain on your dad's parade, but I once bought a White at
a sale like that. I called it the sewing machine from He**. There's a
reason why they sell them so cheaply.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old March 11th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WitchyStitcher

Gee, here they are sold as ordered for schools but not purchased. One
of my quilting kiddies from my club bought one. It was garbage - not
even as good as the big box store machines. The bobbin kept falling
out and there is no recourse. No store to bring it back to, no dealer
to fix it.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:47:41 -0700, "DLW"
wrote:

This happens all the time here in SoCal. They claim they are just
irregulars. There will be a ton of machines there to see/buy! My mother
bought me and my sister our first machines at one of these sales

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Old March 11th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I'm always suspicious of anything that sounds too good to be true. You
have no recourse if the machine doesn't work. I'd rather take my chances
on a low-end or used machine from a reliable sewing machine dealer or
even an old (at least 40-50 years) Singer from a thrift shop or garage sale.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old March 11th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

A friend of mine bought one of these machines and asked me to come over and
see why it would not work. On the box was printed made in China and there
were rough spots on the metal parts. The bobbin chase did not fit
correctly. I advised her to put it on the side of the road with the trash,
which she did. It was money thrown away.
Barbara in FL

Old March 11th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Yep, we get those ads too. Made for WHAT schools?? I don't know of a school
that even teaches sewing.
PAT in Virginia

Old March 11th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Supposedly (emphasis on "supposedly") the machines were bought for high
school Home Ec classes -- at least that was one company said about their
promotions.

Funny thing? When I asked *what* schools, as in names, they couldn't tell
me. Go figger. Wasn't trying to "check up" on them, just out of curiosity
wanted to know *what* schools still taught Home Ec.

My 8th grade class (Woodbridge VA) back in, oh, 1983? Was the last Home Ec
class offered in my HS. Probably just as well ... after me as a student, I'm
pretty sure that my HE teacher had to be committed.

--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

Old March 11th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Mar 11, 8:03*am, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
I'm always suspicious of anything that sounds too good to be true. You
have no recourse if the machine doesn't work. I'd rather take my chances
on a low-end or used machine from a reliable sewing machine dealer or
even an old (at least 40-50 years) Singer from a thrift shop or garage sale.

Julia in MN

I can't believe what old Singers bring around here. We have a big
Humane Society
rummage sale every year, and each year, there are a couple of them. I
mean, they're
relatively nice machines! They work! And no one will pay more than
$15, even for the
ones in a cabinet.
I drool over the Featherweights on e-bay often. I really, really want
one, just for the
cute factor. I do not need one. I do not need one. I do not need one.

Sherry
Old March 13th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Heidi

Patti, I hate to rain on your dad's parade, but I once bought a White at
a sale like that. I called it the sewing machine from He**. There's a
reason why they sell them so cheaply.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

I will second this. I have a White Quilt and Sew that I got from
TSWLTH, thinking it would be a good inexpensive machine, and it drives
me nuts. I wish I had the Singer I replaced with it back. I will
have to live with it until our finances improve, so I am managing, but
I would not wish it on anyone.

Heidi
Old March 13th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

You know, Brother sewing machines seem to be pretty good. For DD's B-day
last year we got her a Brother BC-1000 (for about $170) and she's *abused*
the poop out of it, if anything. She still doesn't understand the whole
"don't-sew-over-pins-while-going-full-tilt" principle ... and every time she
sews a block or top, I can hear that poor needle whacking pins left and
right. And strangely enough, the machine still runs like a top!! She's also
notorious for sewing too fast (it is a teeny-tiny bit on the noisy side).
Only real complaint we've had is that it is SO light!!!

We had bought her that particular brand/model because we didn't want to
spend $$$ on a machine that she would either destroy in a few days or lose
interest in. Sew far, sew good!! She loves it, shows it off to her friends
(as well as her creations -- most of her friends sew, too!!), and abuses it
with her over-eagerness to CREATE!!

So if $170 (or cheaper as I have seen it on sale @ Target) is within your
budget, think about it. Though I'm sure that everyone else here will have
better suggestions ... I'm pretty sure that Leslie told me that you could
get a Jem Gold for around $200 -- which, of course, would be the best
machine -- much better than a Brother!!