Looking for a kiln

Old August 3rd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bill DeWitt

Default Looking for a kiln

Hi folks,

My planned purchase of a used kiln fell through, so I am thinking about
buying a new one. If no one minds, I would like to pick some brains here
before I commit.

I have seen the various manufacturers, but of course have no knowledge
with which to differentiate between them. All I know is what I want to make,
and the facilities I have available. Maybe someone can recommend a unit for
me?

I have access to 120 and 240 on a big breaker, and I have propane tanks
on the premises. I have a shed with a chimney, a bricked-in metal clad
firewall and a wood stove I could remove. What I want to make is mostly
small stuff, so I can use probably the smallest kilns available. So far my
biggest piece is under 2". I do want to do high temperature firings, gold
glazes and such. Plus, I am on a -very- tight budget, so it would be great
if I could pick it up locally in Vermont or New Hampshire. Maybe a common
brand that my local supplier can ship in for me?

I had been looking at "table-top" units meant for "dolls"(?) and a
couple which seem to be for making ceramics and glass beads.

My attempts to make my own kiln, BTW, worked fairly well, within limits.
I was able to get very high temps but probably used an inordinate amount of
propane to do so. If I do fairly regular work I am sure I could save my
investment back in energy conservation by buying a well made kiln.

Thanks in advance for any discussion or recommendations.

Old August 3rd 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

You should have lots of pottery studios or schools near you that might have
electric kilns which have died and are not worth repairing but would still
work as gas kilns. They might consider selling or giving them away. May I
ask why you are wedded to high-fire? You can get some truly wonderful work
from pit fire or raku.

Right now EBay doesn't have anything but if you keep an eye out, if the kiln
is local to your area and you are the only one interested at the moment you
might get a steal because these are usually sold as "pick it up yourself"
items only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECONO-KILN-J-SER...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPIC-ELECTRIC...QQcmdZViewItem

if you are willing to drive to upstate NY or MA.

L&L kilns has a Liberty Kiln that would be much better than a doll kiln.
http://www.clay-king.com/lllist.htm
http://www.hotkilns.com/Liberty-Belle.html

Not much help I am sorry to say. I have to say that your attempt to make
your own kiln was impressive. I look forward to hearing what you invent if
that is the way things go. Hope you make a great discovery soon! Donna

Old August 3rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Bill, I recommend building it: http://www.m2crafts.ca/kiln.html

With a smaller kiln, the hardest part - the slabs, would be much
easier.

Mark.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bill DeWitt

"DKat" wrote :

You should have lots of pottery studios or schools near you

I would have thought that too, but it appears not to be the case.

They might consider selling or giving them away.

That's what I was going to be doing, the only nearby potter with an
extra kiln I could find decided to keep hers.

May I
ask why you are wedded to high-fire?

Gold glaze, ceramic jewelry.

L&L kilns has a Liberty Kiln that would be much better than a doll kiln.
http://www.clay-king.com/lllist.htm
http://www.hotkilns.com/Liberty-Belle.html

Not much help I am sorry to say.

Yow! More than $1000 over what I could possibly justify for my hobby.
I'm thinking more in the $2-500 range.

I have to say that your attempt to make
your own kiln was impressive. I look forward to hearing what you invent

if
that is the way things go. Hope you make a great discovery soon! Donna

Thanks Donna, I've been out playing with bricks and my saw, and I feel a
little more comfortable with cutting and shaping premade bricks. If I can
make a kiln that will fire brick clay, then make my bricks, I might have
some fun things to show.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bill DeWitt

"m" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bill, I recommend building it: http://www.m2crafts.ca/kiln.html

With a smaller kiln, the hardest part - the slabs, would be much
easier.

I would love to, and probably will at some point. I guess it's a
question of trusting my skill. I've made some remarkably successful projects
but I've made some astounding failures too 8-)

Old August 13th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

I have 3 electric kilns for sale...two larger, one with a collar, and
one medioum size.
If you are interested in discussing this further, please email me with
your telephone number. We are in Ks.

Old August 13th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bill DeWitt

wrote :

We are in Ks.

I'm pretty sure that from Kansas the shipping would be equal to or
greater than the price. But thanks for responding.