OT Potatos

Old October 3rd 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

Default OT Potatos

i rest my case.
now someone pass the fudge please.
j.

"Polly Esther" wrote ...
And I was wrong. I had no idea that there was such a thing as condensed
milk that wasn't seriously sweet. I'm glad the matter came up; I'd hate to
give a recipe to someone and not realize that condensed milk could be
sweetened or Not. Polly

"Michelle G." wrote ...
j,
We were right after all; the website Doc provided says "Unsweetened
condensed milk and evaporated milk are the same thing." Here we use Eagle
Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk for making fudge, lemon pie, etc. I never
thought to confuse it with Pet or Carnation Evaporated Milk.
Michelle G.

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote ...
Yup, you learn something every day - 'specially arounf this nuthouse
(RCTQ).
http://www.slashfood.com/2006/05/12/...aporated-milk/

"J*" wrote:
there is sweetened condensed milk, condensed milk and evaporated milk.
i too thot the evaporated and condensed were one in the same.
they heat the milk to evaporate the water off so it becomes condensed.
different names from different companys doing it, or so i thot.
just talked to dh about it, seems the condensed milk here is really
really
thick stuff.
more a spooning out consistency.
whereas the evaporated milk is still a pouring consistency.
go figure.
j.

Old October 3rd 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

That's funny. I don't like to eat potatoes unless they are mashed with
the hand mixer. I find them lighter and fluffier. I don't think my
mashed potatoes should have lumps in them. And that's what happens when
I try to use the hand masher.

One time at my dear MIL for supper something tasted funny about the
mashed potatoes. Kept eating them but commented that they tasted funny.
Then we realized she didn't put any garlic in the water. If I have fresh
garlic I put it in the water but remove before mashing. Or I'll use
garlic powder. There was nothing wrong with the potatoes they were just
plain and we all had a good laugh.

I have another friend that uses egg whites in her mashed potatoes. She
says is makes them lighter, fluffier and whiter. I do it once in a while
but not all the time.

Funny how are tastes are different sometimes.
Thanx
Joanna

NightMist wrote:
Many many men are fine, nay, excellent cooks.
My husband is one of them.
However he has some quirks.
Aside from leaving food and things in the middle of the dirty dishes
next to the sink, the one thing that I hate about when he cooks is his
use of the mixer to mash potatos. It all but chokes me to try and eat
them when they are done like that. Can you say overworked pasty goo?
We have two potato mashers, and I really can't blame him for not using
them I guess. One is an old style wooden one, only it is rounded at
the end instead of flat, which makes it really hard to use. The other
is one of those modern bent steel with slots sort of things, and it
is way too bendy to be very useful.
His idea of hand mashers are the zig zag ones, he thinks they are good
because you can bend them back into shape when you are done.
On my planet they shouldn't bend in the first place.

The hand mixer died.
He doesn't want to drag out the stand mixer for potatos, the pan
wouldn't fit and taking it off the stand for something like that seems
a bit extreme. So when we have boiled taters now, we have boiled
taters. (Yay!) Which means there are sometimes left over potatos for a
fry up! (G) If I can beat the rest of the house to them, "potatos and
salt, and find no fault" means something here. I am lucky if I have
any to work with when I boil them and leave them to cool for chips!

We will of course be getting a new hand mixer.
I am also thinking very very hard about spending $10 on a decent
potato masher. The kind I know best are the ones that are sort of
wannabe ricers, a steel plate with holes in it on a handle. DH is
absolutely convinced that the plate will come away from the handle on
those. My mom has been using the same one for over fifty years, if
anybody can destroy a kitchen gadget in five minutes or less it is
her. On the other hand new ones might not be as well made.
I think I will take the risk, even though I will have to mail order.
Besides, that kind of masher just rocks for juicing fruit to make
jelly or wine.

DH says if I want the tatos mashed by hand I can do it myself.
I am willing to make the sacrifice if it meands no more library paste
and gravy.

NightMist

Old October 3rd 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 2, 9:23*pm, "J*" wrote:

now someone pass the fudge please.
j.

I can try, but he's awful wiggly...
That phrase has taken on a whole different range of meanings
lately... ;-)

Doc (and "the Fudge")