OT Potatos

Old October 1st 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT Potatos

Ick!
Nooooooooo, Doc. Not condensed. Heaps too much sugar.
She's meaning just a quick pour - not to be confused with a splat or
glug. Polly

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote Dollop? Um... Are you sure you don't mean
*condensed* milk? I use
evaporated milk in my coffee every morning, and unless it's well on
it's way to cheese, it pours.

Old October 1st 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Well, that's what I'm wondering. Maybe it's geographical or
something, but in my mind a dollop is of something more solid, like
ice cream or peanut butter. But looking it up I see that it can apply
to a thick liquid like cream too, so nevermind... Ya learn something
every day...

Doc

Old October 1st 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT Potato dollops

We usually see dollop used in conjunction with sour cream. Even that is a
variable depending on the instrument used. When I dollop sour cream, my
weapon of choice is a hefty tablespoon. None of those sissy teaspoons for
me. Polly

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote Well, that's what I'm wondering. Maybe it's

Old October 1st 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

In the case of sour cream my weapon of choice would likely be a
rubbermaid spatula...
http://www.missionrs.com/1901.html
(I see they call it a "bowl scraper"; Mom called it a spatula; DW
calls it a PITA)
I used to be able to get the whole pint out with one of these babies
in one dollop.

, "Polly Esther" wrote:

Ick!
Nooooooooo, Doc. Not condensed. Heaps too much sugar.
She's meaning just a quick pour - not to be confused with a splat or
glug. Polly

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote Dollop? Um... Are you sure you don't mean
*condensed* milk? I use
evaporated milk in my coffee every morning, and unless it's well on
it's way to cheese, it pours.- Hide quoted text -

Old October 1st 09, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Shirley Shone wrote:
In message , Kate
XXXXXX writes
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I am also thinking very very hard about spending $10 on a decent
potato masher. The kind I know best are the ones that are sort of
wannabe ricers, a steel plate with holes in it on a handle. DH is
absolutely convinced that the plate will come away from the handle on
those. My mom has been using the same one for over fifty years, if
anybody can destroy a kitchen gadget in five minutes or less it is
her.
I have one like that. I've only had it for about 20 years (it was
probably about 30 years old when I got it) so it's too early to say
if it's really durable, but I'd take the chance anyway.

Giggle.

My mum still uses her neatly 60 YO Prestige potato masher: round metal
plate with rounded slots cut in it, riveted to a Y shaped stalk with a
wooden handle.

I've had plenty of different mashers over the years, but finally went
out and bought a ricer. Best mash I've ever made gets done on a
regular basis now.

Bangers and mash with red onion and port gravy, and peas. Yum! Works
best with Scots steak sausages or venison sausages...

I have a Prestige one also Kate, mine is 54 years old. We bought it when
we were living in Malta and it came back home with us.

Whee! Small world! We lived in Malta for 3 years and 4 days! Dad
was in the RAF - fly boy!

We have been married 55 years Nov.6th. I joined my DH in Malta just
after we got married and stayed there 2.1/2 years. He was in the Royal
Navy.

Brilliant! Himself and I have manages 27 years so far.

And three useless potato mashers before I gave in and got the ricer!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 1st 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Dr. Zachary Smith wrote:
On Oct 1, 10:02 am, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
Am I the only one here who prefers simple boiled -- or better yet --
baked potatoes?

Of course not. But that wasn't the question now, was it?
The question was about smashin' taters when you *do* want em
smashed... ;-)

Doc (who likes em a lot of ways, but we weren't talking about those
either...)

Old spuds need mashing. Or occasionally roasting, or made into hot
pot... Sometimes chips or wedges. New spuds get boiled or roasted with
garlic!

Old October 1st 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Dr. Zachary Smith wrote:
BTW - another method no-one brought up was firing them into a solid
wall with a potato gun. Smashes em up real good but nobody usually
wants to eat em afterward...

Doc (who has more potato gun anecdotes than he probably ought... 8^P

SPUD CANNON ALERT! INCOMING!

;P

Old October 1st 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Dr. Zachary Smith wrote:
Well, that's what I'm wondering. Maybe it's geographical or
something, but in my mind a dollop is of something more solid, like
ice cream or peanut butter. But looking it up I see that it can apply
to a thick liquid like cream too, so nevermind... Ya learn something
every day...

Dollop is a verb as well as a noun in this part of the world.

Old October 1st 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
EstelleUK

I have had mine for over 40 years and it gets used regularly, but not that
often by me. DH loves mashed spuds!so he does.Its still very strong and not
bent at all.lol
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11

"NightMist" wrote in message

Many many men are fine, nay, excellent cooks.
My husband is one of them.
However he has some quirks.
Aside from leaving food and things in the middle of the dirty dishes
next to the sink, the one thing that I hate about when he cooks is his
use of the mixer to mash potatos. It all but chokes me to try and eat
them when they are done like that. Can you say overworked pasty goo?
We have two potato mashers, and I really can't blame him for not using
them I guess. One is an old style wooden one, only it is rounded at
the end instead of flat, which makes it really hard to use. The other
is one of those modern bent steel with slots sort of things, and it
is way too bendy to be very useful.
His idea of hand mashers are the zig zag ones, he thinks they are good
because you can bend them back into shape when you are done.
On my planet they shouldn't bend in the first place.

The hand mixer died.
He doesn't want to drag out the stand mixer for potatos, the pan
wouldn't fit and taking it off the stand for something like that seems
a bit extreme. So when we have boiled taters now, we have boiled
taters. (Yay!) Which means there are sometimes left over potatos for a
fry up! (G) If I can beat the rest of the house to them, "potatos and
salt, and find no fault" means something here. I am lucky if I have
any to work with when I boil them and leave them to cool for chips!

We will of course be getting a new hand mixer.
I am also thinking very very hard about spending $10 on a decent
potato masher. The kind I know best are the ones that are sort of
wannabe ricers, a steel plate with holes in it on a handle. DH is
absolutely convinced that the plate will come away from the handle on
those. My mom has been using the same one for over fifty years, if
anybody can destroy a kitchen gadget in five minutes or less it is
her. On the other hand new ones might not be as well made.
I think I will take the risk, even though I will have to mail order.
Besides, that kind of masher just rocks for juicing fruit to make
jelly or wine.

DH says if I want the tatos mashed by hand I can do it myself.
I am willing to make the sacrifice if it meands no more library paste
and gravy.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf

Old October 2nd 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

That's what I use BEFORE I use the mixer. Well what the hell do you do with
it after mashing the potatoes? Just keep mashing them up and down? I am
just real confused.

Cindy

"NightMist" wrote in message
Hoo!

That is the very one I was considering!

Had DH read what you said and he considers that a powerful statement
in favor of the thing.

He won't be able to resist using it at least once. It is just how he
is. If it as easy as I bet it will be I'll win on this!
w00Tt!

NightMist

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:58:57 -0500, "Edna Pearl"
wrote:

I swear by my old-fashioned potato masher like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Good-Grips...4354977&sr=8-1
or http://tiny.cc/pNfjZ

I have never seen one of these bend out of shape. It is very easy to use.
(Believe me, I have tendonitis and arthritis in my hands, and I just used
this masher this evening without any significant pain.)

I agree about the electric mixer for potatoes. Totally yuck.

ep