my first swirl lentil beads:D

Old October 26th 05, 06:10 PM
crna_ofca

Default my first swirl lentil beads:D

im just being proud of myself, after a year of not being able to do
these, i finally did them

http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/2...ntswirl7xo.jpg
Old October 26th 05, 07:40 PM
~Candace~

Beautiful! I remember the particular joy that comes with making your first
good swirled lentils It's that moment of Ah Ha! WHY DIDN'T I GET THAT
BEFORE NOW?!?!? lololol
Now...got any canes lying around? Make a quick chrysanthemum or snowflake
cane, and cover a ball of clay with it. Swirl the ball into a lentil and
marvel at your claying prowess After that, try making balls of clay from
confetti--tiny bits of many different colors of clay...being careful not to
blend the colors, just bring them together, and then swirl that. Awesome
looking results!

Keep up the great progress!

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old October 26th 05, 08:18 PM
Carla

Good job, too. I remember my first swirled lentils. Became practically
an addiction after I finally got it

Cheers,
Carla

Old October 26th 05, 09:33 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Now you can teach me!

Great job, Iva.

----------
Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay & Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Nurturing doesn't end at birth: breastfeed, co-sleep, babywear.

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com. Shopping carts, blogs, image galleries, content management and more!

Old October 26th 05, 10:57 PM
crna_ofca

~Candace~ wrote:
Beautiful! I remember the particular joy that comes with making your first
good swirled lentils It's that moment of Ah Ha! WHY DIDN'T I GET THAT
BEFORE NOW?!?!? lololol
Now...got any canes lying around? Make a quick chrysanthemum or snowflake
cane, and cover a ball of clay with it. Swirl the ball into a lentil and
marvel at your claying prowess After that, try making balls of clay from
confetti--tiny bits of many different colors of clay...being careful not to
blend the colors, just bring them together, and then swirl that. Awesome
looking results!

Keep up the great progress!

i have never tried chrysanthemum cane before i feel so newbish now, i
mean, ive started more then 3 years ago, and for 2 years never tried
anything different then millefiori. never even got the idea of looking
pc techniques in the internet. and in past 6 months ive bought pasta
machine, clay extruder, ive started learning face canes, mokume gane,
lentils, everything!

tnx for ideas, ill try))
Old October 26th 05, 10:57 PM
crna_ofca

Carla wrote:
Good job, too. I remember my first swirled lentils. Became practically
an addiction after I finally got it

aha, they are so addictive i cant wait tomorrow to make them againD
Old October 26th 05, 10:59 PM
crna_ofca

Barbara Forbes-Lyons wrote:
Now you can teach me!

Great job, Iva.

wow, remember my name

well, if you were serious, here is one great tutorial:
http://www.desiredcreations.com/howTo_CALentilSwirl.htm

Old October 27th 05, 07:21 AM
crna_ofca

Barbara Forbes-Lyons wrote:
Seen it - can't get it to work. Probably just need more practice.

possible:/ the trick is to hold that plate parallel to the work surface,
that part i was doing wrong before

hope you will learn how to make them, and cant wait for your new website
Old October 27th 05, 08:01 AM
~Candace~

I used that same tutorial to learn how to do the swirlies, and I could not
get it to work for me either, at first.. IMNSHO, that tutorial has a lot
more wordage to it than it needs. Barbara, let me see if I can break it
down to the basic steps:

1: create 3 tiny balls of clay in 3 different colors.
2: press them together to create one large tri-colored ball, rolling it
gently to get the round shape.
3: place the ball on a smooth surface.
4: grasp a flat smooth plate (glass from a picture frame works well) by it's
side edges and position the center of it on the top of your clay ball,
pressing ever so slightly.
5: lock your wrists, so that your hands and forearms move as one, and, while
you apply gentle pressure with the plate to the clay, mimic the "Go Barbara,
its your birthday! Go Barbara, its your birthday!" dance! You want to move
your locked wrists in a small series of circles, holding tight to the glass
plate. You'll see the clay ball form a soft point in it's center, and that
is where the swirl will start to form. Varying the amount of pressure you
apply to the ball will dictate how "thick" the "fingers" of the swirl come
out.

Well, that made perfect sense to me...lol..I hope it helps you!