cutting surface

Old December 27th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Terra

Default cutting surface

I'm looking at a table made of a sheet of plywood for cutting on, 1"
thick and very hard, but I've been offered a formica bar countertop. It's
hard and smooth, plus even the smallest flakes and shards will come off
cleanly.
What are you guys using?

Old December 28th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

Forget the formica. The glass will slide around on it, making it difficult
to hold in place while scoring.

One of my worktables is plywood surfaced, the other is carpeted. I've also
seen the Morton surface used successfully.

Old December 28th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

HI Folks

I'd vote for the Morton surface...

- the way it's made, all the tiny glass chips end up in the
'waffle-holes', rather than on the cutting surface, on the glass, in
your thumbs

- clean-up from time to time just uses a hoover or a big plastic 'bin-bag'

- the various Morton 'widgets' make repetitive, accurate cutting easy
(if that's what you're doing)

- glass lies flat on the surface & doesn't slide about

Drawbacks..? - can be more trouble than it's worth if cutting tiny
pieces of glass (for fusing ..?) - so you need a small flat surface also

Wouldn't be without it g

Regards
Adrian
www.inspired-glass.com

Old December 29th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Dec 27, 9:05*am, "Terra" wrote:
* * I'm looking at a table made of a sheet of plywood for cutting on, 1"
thick and very hard, but I've been offered a formica bar countertop. It's
hard and smooth, plus even the smallest flakes and shards will come off
cleanly.
* * What are you guys using?

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Ditto on the Morton surface. For tiny pieces you need to cut, simply
put about three layers of newspaper down and cut on that. Then you can
pickup the newspaper and dump the shards in the waste can.
Old January 1st 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Dennis Brady

On Dec 29, 9:53*am, Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Dec 27, 9:05*am, "Terra" wrote:

* * I'm looking at a table made of a sheet of plywood for cutting on, 1"
thick and very hard, but I've been offered a formica bar countertop. It's
hard and smooth, plus even the smallest flakes and shards will come off
cleanly.
* * What are you guys using?

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Ditto on the Morton surface. For tiny pieces you need to cut, simply
put about three layers of newspaper down and cut on that. Then you can
pickup the newspaper and dump the shards in the waste can.

The Morton system is made from poly and will wear quickly. The
"waffle grid" system from Cutters Mate is made from Lexan and wears
considerably better. Also, the pieces can be clipped together either
with open grid or smooth surface facing up ( to provide a smooth
surface for cutting pieces so small they would otherwise fall into the
grid openings), For multi-angle cutting, there is nothing available
in the industry better then the Cutters Mate "Beetle Bit" system.

Dennis Brady

Victorian Art Glass - www.vicartglass.com
DeBrady Glassworks - www.debrady.com
Master Artisan - www.masterartisanproducts.com
Glass Campus - www.glasscampus.com
Old January 1st 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
..teranews.com**

The Morton system is made from poly and will wear quickly. The

"waffle grid" system from Cutters Mate is made from Lexan and wears
considerably better.

Lexan IS polycarbonate. Dumbass.

Old January 1st 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Terra

" Moonraker" wrote in message

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
.teranews.com**

The Morton system is made from poly and will wear quickly. The

"waffle grid" system from Cutters Mate is made from Lexan and wears
considerably better.

Lexan IS polycarbonate. Dumbass.

Praps he was thinking polyethylene....

Old January 1st 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 27, 9:05*am, "Terra" wrote:

[...]

I have about a dozen Morton surfaces that I've been using in classes
that are over 16 years old and they are still as good today as the day
I bought them. The Beetle Bit system is nothing more than a glorified
Morton Portable Glass Shop. Both do exactly the same thing. And...as
Moonraker said...dumbass.
Old January 1st 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Dec 31 2008, 9:00*pm, "Terra" wrote:
" Moonraker" wrote in message

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
.teranews.com**

The Morton system is made from poly and will wear quickly. *The

"waffle grid" system from Cutters Mate is made from Lexan and wears
considerably better. *

Lexan IS polycarbonate. * Dumbass.

* * Praps he was thinking polyethylene....

Most likely or he wasn't thinking at all....

Old January 1st 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Dennis Brady

On Jan 1, 8:26*am, " wrote:
On Dec 31 2008, 9:00*pm, "Terra" wrote:

" Moonraker" wrote in message

.. .

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
.teranews.com**

The Morton system is made from poly and will wear quickly. *The
"waffle grid" system from Cutters Mate is made from Lexan and wears
considerably better. *

Lexan IS polycarbonate. * Dumbass.

* * Praps he was thinking polyethylene....

Most likely or he wasn't thinking at all....

I'm thinking Cutters Mate is outselling Morton 10 to 1.
Seems like everybody 'cept the dolts here know the difference.

Surface work lewmew Needlework 12 May 2nd 08 04:33 AM
Surface Extension Table Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 4 March 23rd 05 03:30 PM
surface finish & titanium m4816k Jewelry 4 September 30th 04 04:36 PM
Surface Design Teacher shhdesigns Quilting 0 April 1st 04 06:13 AM
crewel and surface.... ws Needlework 6 March 8th 04 09:07 PM