Serging and Overlocking

Old February 22nd 04, 11:04 PM
vanda

Default Serging and Overlocking

Hi.

I am new to serging and am getting rather frustrated. I have an Elna
744. I am trying to do an overlock 3 stitch. I have threaded and
rethreaded my machine dozens of times. I have read and re-read the
manual and watched the video. No matter what I do I cannot get the
machine to lock the looper threads. I tried doing a two thread
overlock and using the thread converter on the upper looper, but that
only allowed me to overlock the edge for about an inch. The machine
stopped locking after an inch and I couldn't get it to do work again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Vanda
Old February 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
Kate Dicey

vanda wrote:

Hi.

I am new to serging and am getting rather frustrated. I have an Elna
744. I am trying to do an overlock 3 stitch. I have threaded and
rethreaded my machine dozens of times. I have read and re-read the
manual and watched the video. No matter what I do I cannot get the
machine to lock the looper threads. I tried doing a two thread
overlock and using the thread converter on the upper looper, but that
only allowed me to overlock the edge for about an inch. The machine
stopped locking after an inch and I couldn't get it to do work again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Vanda

I don't have this model, but what I would suggest is this:

1 Totally de-thread the machine

2 Clean out any fluff or lint that has accumulated: floss the tension
disks with a bit of pearl cotton or similar. Raise the presser foot
first to disengage the tension.

3 Change the needles: make sure they are fully in and properly screwed
into place so they don't slip.

4 Re-thread the machine with 4 different coloured threads: you may find
the threading diagram shows 4 different thread colours, so use those.
You will then be able to tell more easily which thread is causing the
problem. Thread strictly in the order of the manual. Make absolutely
sure that the threads are fully engaged in the tension disks: thread
with the foot up and the tension disengaged. If this is an older
machine where this does not disengage the tension, turn the dials to
zero for flossing and threading.

5 Start wilth all settings (tension, stitch length, cutting width, foot
pressure, and differential feed) at the 'Normal' setting - check the
manual for this.

6 There will be an arrow either on or near the handwheel of the machine
(or possibly in the manual): holding the 4 threads out the back with
your left hand, turn this wheel in the direction of the arrow several
times... The threads should lock, if it's threaded correctly. Now
lower thr presser foot, close up the front, and, still holding those
threads, sew slowly WITHOUT any fabric. The threads should form a
'chain' of locked stitches.

6 Sew on a firm cotton (calico/muslin is good), and see what happens.
The different thread colours will tell you which thread isn't working
properly.

If you STILL get a problem, try re-threading from scratch, but threading
the loopers in the oposite order from the way you threaded them before
(my machine needs to be threaded Upper Looper first).

Get back to us if there are any more problems, and check the Book List
on my web site (URL below) fir short reviews of books on serging. I
sell nothing through the site - it's information and 'show & tell' space
only.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old February 25th 04, 03:22 AM
vanda

Thank you for such a wonderful answer.
The problem was that my needle was not in far enough. It is a very tight
fit.

~vanda

Old February 25th 04, 03:42 AM
Kate Dicey

vanda wrote:

Thank you for such a wonderful answer.
The problem was that my needle was not in far enough. It is a very tight
fit.

~vanda

Glad I could help!