OT/AD ummm oh and critique please!

Old December 12th 03, 04:14 PM
David Fields

Default OT/AD ummm oh and critique please!

OK, last night I took some of the pieces into the studio so I could play
around after I did a shoot with an insurance office. So here are the links
to what I got, played a lil with props and such, but what I wanted to do is
see what all of you thought of the photography and the pieces. Now here is
the question ... It seems that many do this as a side business, more a hobby
that they can make a lil money on the side. So instead of offering
photography for cash, would people be interested in barter? Example: Mrs X
sends me 20 pieces to shoot and has some ideas on props etc, instead of
paying me cash she throws in a few strands of stone beads and maybe some
other beads that she has laying around. BTW I am a jasper/agate nut!

This seem a reasonable thing? Keeps me in new beads and maybe can help those
who want nice pix of their work.

As far as the pix here are the links. One thing I would do differently is
not use a white pillar w a black background etc....

www.delawarestudio.com my studios new home
www.delawarestudio.com/j1.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j2.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j3.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j4.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j5.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j6.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j7.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j8.jpg
www.delawarestudio.com/j9.jpg

Old December 12th 03, 05:50 PM
Marissa Undercofler

Nice work David. I have a suggestion. The leaves you used in two of your
picutes make the items a tad bit hard to see. Especially on the first one
where the colors of the leaves are very similar to the colors in the piece.
The second one with the pearls is nice, but the leaves are a bit to dark for
the pearls I think. If you used all or mostly green with a couple red or
what ever tossed in, I think it would look better and show off the pearls
more. I like the ones with the pieces draped over a bottle. Those were very
unique. I also liked the one with the piece draped over that pumpkin. That
was also unique. Thats just my 2 cents. I am in no way a professional
photographer, and won't ever claim to be.

Marissa

Old December 12th 03, 06:43 PM
Cheryl

hmmm - well,
Shot's number 1 and 2 on black are good for websales.
Shot three - amethyst on white is too pale.

Iin shots 4,5 and 6 I think the leaves were too overwhelming for the size of
the pieces... they kind of get lost...

I did like Number 7 and 8 the old beads on the old bottle...

and the pumpkin shot would be good for a fall theme catalog....

Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old December 12th 03, 07:33 PM
David Fields

Cheryl and Marissa,
This is what I wanted.... I know some of the items and backgrounds would be
"Off" it was a case of "OK I want to try some stuff out, here are some
pieces here are some props....go for it". If I were to do more I would go
and look for other props etc. I do have a HUGE collection of old bottles
and jars and I think that would be fun. This was as much as an experiment
for me as anythiug and you have given great feedback!

Old December 13th 03, 02:24 AM
Beadbimbo

Well, a couple of the photos I like, and the rest are just ok, except the
amythest on white, I don't like. I like the pearls on the leaves ok. They
seem to show up pretty well. But the other necklace, on the leaves, seems
to get lost. I like the green (adventurine?) on the bottle too.

I really love your portraiture! Beautiful work!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old December 13th 03, 05:13 AM
Christina Peterson

I agree with the comments of others regarding backgrounds that work.

I think you have a conflict of instincts. Several of your photos show your
sense of composition fighting with the portrait of jewelry details.

Your offer of photos for beads is a great opportunity!

Tina

Old December 13th 03, 07:46 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:14:30 GMT, "David Fields"
wrote:

OK, last night I took some of the pieces into the studio so I could play
around after I did a shoot with an insurance office. So here are the links
to what I got
As far as the pix here are the links. One thing I would do differently is
not use a white pillar w a black background etc....

I'm assuming that the reason for the pictures
is to promote your jewelry (as an end result).
Everything I'm about to say is with that end in mind.
The white is too stark. The leaves are too distracting.
The pumpkin is cute, as is the bottle. But at least one
of the bottle shots made the jewelry seem like a prop
as well. And the lighting didn't really "pop" in any
of them.
Artistically most were very nice. But is that why
you are shooting them? If it's to showcase the
jewelry, then most of them are missing the point.
Soft, slightly diffused lighting is very nice in a
portrait or landscape, but not to highlight
jewelry. The thing you want everyone's attention
on needs to jump right out of the picture and
grab you. The pumpkin shot stands out in that
regard. There is no question that the necklace
is the center of the photo.
And there is my 2 1/2 cents worth :-)
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.
~~ Albert Camus
Old December 13th 03, 06:48 PM
Bacchae

"David Fields" wrote in message ...

OK, last night I took some of the pieces into the studio so I

could play
around after I did a shoot with an insurance office. So here

are the links
to what I got, played a lil with props and such, but what I

wanted to do is
see what all of you thought of the photography and the

pieces. Now here is
the question ...

I agree with Barbara about the lighting being too diffuse. For
me the lighting was way too ho-hum and didn't really do a thing
to accent the beads. I also found everything to be too far
away for me to really get a feel for what the beads looked
like. The presentation of the beads wrapped around the bottles
worked for me and I like the idea of the pumpkin but the beads
still didn't really "pop".

The quality of the photography is obviously very high but I
didn't feel like I got excited about anything I saw as far as
the jewelry went. Sorry.

- Sandy

Old December 13th 03, 07:54 PM
David Fields

The quality of the photography is obviously very high but I
didn't feel like I got excited about anything I saw as far as
the jewelry went. Sorry.

- Sandy

Sandy,
Don't be sorry, this is a learning experience, if everyone says OH THEY ARE
GREAT! because they worry about hurting my feelings it doesn't help me a
bit. The lighting was with a large studio umbrella, about 6 times wider that
the necklace lengths, so it was very soft. Next I will try barebulb shooting
and try to get more contrast and highlights. Also as I said before, I was
using the props I had on hand and will be looking for more. This group has
given great critiques....unlike the jewelry group who had insulted me and my
photography (which I am confident enough in to stand up for hehe).

I was serious about possibly ofering this as a service for bartering in the
future, but if I am not doing a quality job, won't be worth my or other
artisans time!
Be safe

Old December 16th 03, 10:02 PM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
"David Fields" wrote:

Sandy,
Don't be sorry, this is a learning experience, if everyone says OH THEY ARE
GREAT! because they worry about hurting my feelings it doesn't help me a
bit. The lighting was with a large studio umbrella, about 6 times wider that
the necklace lengths, so it was very soft. Next I will try barebulb shooting
and try to get more contrast and highlights. Also as I said before, I was
using the props I had on hand and will be looking for more. This group has
given great critiques....unlike the jewelry group who had insulted me and my
photography (which I am confident enough in to stand up for hehe).

I was serious about possibly ofering this as a service for bartering in the
future, but if I am not doing a quality job, won't be worth my or other
artisans time!
Be safe

You know, I really like jewelry pictures shot with bare bulbs. The
shadows and contrast and bright point just work better to bring out the
sparkle and depth, IMO.

I also like your ability to accept and work with criticism... so many
can't, and it's an admirable and valuable quality.

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com