Hot Head on propane in the UK

Old November 19th 04, 12:25 PM
Su/Cutworks

Default Hot Head on propane in the UK

There was a discussion a while ago here about lampworking in small premises
such as a boat in the UK.

I'd like to offer our recent experiences here. We live on a narrowboat, and
have Calor propane tanks aboard for use in our cooker. As MAPP is expensive
in the UK and not available in bulk it was rapidly becoming very costly to
make beads using the small tanks. We did a lot of research on the topic of
propane tanks and the necessary equipment to hook up a propane tank to the
Calor tank of propane and found a company that provides a complete set-up
that will take you from tank to torch without needing anything else. The
company is an Australian one called Ozziebuddy, and we found them very
helpful, careful to make sure the setup is a safe and complete one. They
shipped to us promptly and we're now able to use our 13kg tanks of propane
with the Hot Head torch with no trouble at all. It does take a bit of
getting used to as the propane burns differently to MAPP but a bit of
research online showed that putting the beads higher in the flame reduced
the problem of burning the glass or getting scummy glass or altered colours.

Ozziebuddy has a website at http://www.ozziebuddy.com They shipped us the
conversion set without the torch for a decent price, it ended up costing us
a total of USD 103 for a conversion kit, a marver we ordered that was USD
33, shipping and insurance. They were quick, helpful and knowledgeable.

-Su Poole (just a customer, not a shareholder... yadda yadda...)

Anyone who wants to ask questions can email us at the addy on this post, we
don't munge our email addys... or post here as I check this group daily.

--
Tillerman eBay shop: http://stores.ebay.com/thetillermanbeads
Tillerman website: http://www.tillerman.co.uk

Old November 19th 04, 04:00 PM
C Ryman

That is interesting, I've always heard that Propane and Oxygen were needed
together to do lampwork.
Glad things are working out for you.
--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old November 20th 04, 06:07 PM
Su/Cutworks

Connie wrote:

That is interesting, I've always heard that Propane and Oxygen were needed
together to do lampwork.
Glad things are working out for you.

The Hot Head gets sufficient oxygen from the surrounding air, it's not as
high in demand as the dual-hose torches, it was designed to run on a single
fuel source. We can tell a significant difference in the flame depending on
the amount of ventilation in the shed. At the moment it seems to be
significantly affected if our fan heater is running in the shed while the
torch is on, unless the door is fairly wide open (which cuts down on the
effect of the heater...)

It's working out very well, thanks. We're very pleased as it's a huge
savings in fuel costs, at the moment we're not really able to upgrade as we
want to wait till we can use an oxy concentrator rather than oxygen tanks.
We're looking at all the info out there and all the comments about torches,
and are thinking of either a Minor or a Barracuda, depending on
availability, price and the ability to use it with a single oxygen source
such as a concentrator.

Thanks for the kind comments.

-Su

Old November 20th 04, 08:53 PM
Mike Firth

Having used the Hot Head in a variety of glass and non-glass situations,
if you are getting your gas from the same line as the heater, I would expect
that the variation in flame is more due to the change in pressure in the gas
line than the change in atmosphere. In fact, I feel a bit of panic about
your statement because IF the atmosphere is changing that much (to affect
the flame) you are at risk for CO poisoning which would result from burning
in low oxygen. Please check it out.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old November 20th 04, 11:32 PM
Su/Cutworks

Mike wrote:

Having used the Hot Head in a variety of glass and non-glass situations,
if you are getting your gas from the same line as the heater, I would

expect
that the variation in flame is more due to the change in pressure in the

gas
line than the change in atmosphere. In fact, I feel a bit of panic about
your statement because IF the atmosphere is changing that much (to affect
the flame) you are at risk for CO poisoning which would result from

burning
in low oxygen. Please check it out.

It's an electric space fan heater that sits near the door of the shed.

The torch is in a shed outdoors with very adequate ventilation, I think it's
more a case of the draft from the fan being enough to disturb the torch
flame more than anything else. Mike (the other Mike) works with the door of
the shed partly open to allow a run of fresh air all the time and the roof
is vented, but in a Yorkshire winter cold snap, the fan heater was on simply
to keep his feet from freezing. We're looking into a different heat source,
like a sealed oil radiator, no fan, no worries, and just a higher electric
bill but warm feet and no extra air currents.

Thanks for the concern, though. We're very conscious of gas and the
problems with it as we live on a boat that uses propane for the cooker, and
until last year had a gas-powered fridge too.

-Su

OT - Drainrops Keep Falling On My Head Arondelle Beads 0 November 29th 04 08:21 PM
OT - All in my head - feh! Cheri2Star Beads 22 November 23rd 04 06:30 AM
fine head pins arlene427 Beads 4 November 4th 04 02:27 AM
What to do with a glass head C Ryman Glass 19 October 30th 03 05:24 PM
AD: Sylvie Lansdowne Head Over Heels workshop coming to Berkley, MI Dawn Christ Beads 5 July 4th 03 04:14 PM